Discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMiranti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man... after taking a year off I fear I still will need to apply again...

28 3.6/3.4 from U.roch are my stats...

Last year, I got onto the waitlist at Uconn (with a 26 mcat), third tier, basically impossible to get in...

SO i interview there this year, earlier, with higher scores, and good grades senior year, plus teaching experience this year... AND....

what do these improvements get? THe exact same position...
third tier, essentialy no chance of getting in.. awesome...
what went wrong?

I feel like it is there ridiculously small class size that is killing me..

but anyway im about ready to give up, the thought of writing more letters about why i want to become a physician is just too much.. the sad part is i know so many people with lower stats who are into a med school.. maybe ill move states who knows...

ANd so im on the waitlist at einstein and georgetown, and yet to hear from NYMC (drexel reject post interview).. but its not like that is any relief, cuz i have no idea if i have a good chance of getting in.. or no chance in hell...

this process is ridiculous sorry for the rant

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely a draining process. This is easier said than done, but don't let it get to you. I'm sure you know this, but it's not yet time to be discouraged (if there is ever such a time). Even after May 15, some movement does take place.

Sorry you are having a tough time of it. This is what makes this whole process suck sometimes. It is sad when you improve your application, just to have the school put you in the same place. I feel for you. Please don't get discouraged. I hope for your sake this is your year and you will clear that waitlist. If you don't, then I would definitely meet with the dean of admissions and ask them what in the heck you can do to get into their school. Maybe it is something else in your application or essay or interview, etc that is the real thing holding you back.

I wish you luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you only apply to that one school? How are the other applications going? Don't give up yet, man! There's plenty of time left! Just get a hold of the waitlist and then have the 1st 2/3rds of the list mysteriously disappear :laugh:

You know I'm kidding, right? :scared:

UR definetly gets the shaft doesn't it? I don't believe our classes are any easier than other higher ranked schools but our A's and B's sure means a lot less. Even our own med school doesn't want us. :(

I remember when I first saw the UR application results list, it was sure depressing.

I hope you get off the waitlist somewhere. If not, definetly apply again.

Good luck Jay and I'm sorry to hear about UConn. I have a friend who just got the same letter and ranking. She had also applied last year, improved her MCAT about 5 points and still had the same result. It is so hard to predict these things. Go and talk to Dr. Sanford at some point and ask for an honest assessment. Maybe your interviews or LORs have not be as good as you thought they were. At least perhaps he can point you in the right direction if you don't get any love from other schools.

WHY DONT YOU TRY A DO SCHOOL??ULTIMATLEY WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?? REALLY- NONE!!

Hey thanks for the responses

Well Uconn is taking 2/3 women this year, so it only left 27 spaces for guys, so competition was really really steep i guess...

I have never heard of rochester gettting the shaft before, I always thought it did pretty well, but I know what u mean about them not taking their own.

I guess I have realized that Uconn is just not the school to depend on, since it only has a class size of 80 total, and 27 guys this year...

I applied to around 20 schools, im still waiting to hear from NYMC, i interviewed Feb 18th.. and im on the waitlist at Gtown and Einstein...oh yeah and a drexel rejection

The thing is, if there were something strangely wrong in my app like a bad LOR or bad interview or something, I feel like i would have been rejected from these schools, making these waitlists was more of a surprise than getting rejected from drexel.

So thanks for the support im keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally posted by healthymom
WHY DONT YOU TRY A DO SCHOOL??ULTIMATLEY WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?? REALLY- NONE!!
That's what I told this guy last time in his thread "worried". It ended up being a heated DO vs MD debate. He still doesn't want to go. Let him get rejected a few more times from MD schools, and then if he still wants to be a physician, maybe he'll see the light and apply to DO schools. :rolleyes:

What's up with the CAPS??? See that capslock button? Make sure it's off ;)

to the OP: how many schools did you apply to?

well...it does make a difference if you are interested in the more competitive specialties. i'm not saying the education is inferior. however, it carries a stigma that certainly doesnt make it easy to get into a competitive specialty during residency. read iserson's - how to get into a residency.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
well...it does make a difference if you are interested in the more competitive specialties. i'm not saying the education is inferior. however, it carries a stigma that certainly doesnt make it easy to get into a competitive specialty during residency

True but the situation for the DOs is not bad and is getting better every year. Every year more competitive programs start to take DOs. Since 1997, DO participation in the Match has soared.

Round 2 of DO vs. MD. Ironically, it is the same poster that started it last time.

My opinion is, DOs are better due to OMM, the overall philosophy, and the style that DOs have vs MDs. To me they are nicer, more personable, and more friendly.

I would also add that the argument that it is difficult for DOs to specialize is an old one used by people who do not know anything about DOs. As skypilot said, many DOs specialize and each year it is getting better and better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jay,

Who told you that UConn is taking 2/3 women this year? My class is more woman than men and I believe they receive more applicants from females, but they take the candidates they feel are the best fit for UConn.

However, whether you are male or female it is difficult to get a slot. With only 80 or so seats to hand out they have to turn away lots of good people.

With regards to getting waitlisted, some schools waitlist virtually everyone that they don't accept and hand out very few out-right rejections post-interview. Often very subtle things make a difference between a waitlist and an acceptance offer.

Again, best of luck getting off the waitlist this year.

Jay is not the poster starting a DO/MD flaming war - he hasn't mentioned anything about DO's. This is a thread about someone who is discouraged this application cycle in the ALLOPATHIC forum. If he faces the prospect of reapplying he can make the decision to apply to DO, MD or both depending on what he feels is the best path for him. There is nothing wrong with someone who prefers to apply only to allopathic schools. It is a PERSONAL decision, just as your decision to pursue a DO degree was.

Well they said at my interview that they always keep a 50/50 distribution across all four classes, meaning if you took ALL the students, first thru fourth year, they want them to be half and half.

SO apparently, the current mix is heavily swayed to the Male side, which makes sense, and now that there are more women applicants they are compensating heavily

In other new i am thinking of moving to New York, how do you think the SUNY system will treat me with my situation?

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
well...it does make a difference if you are interested in the more competitive specialties. i'm not saying the education is inferior. however, it carries a stigma that certainly doesnt make it easy to get into a competitive specialty during residency. read iserson's - how to get into a residency.

Beats not getting into medical school at all and not getting a shot at any specialty.

I however am not a proponent of this idea and feel you should only go DO if you are comfortable with it. Being a DO requires that you have to carry this ?tiny bit of extra baggage?, and if he's not ready to shoulder that then he'd only be doing the DO profession and himself a disservice.

Originally posted by JayMiranti
Man... after taking a year off I fear I still will need to apply again...

Dude, thats rough. Keep us updated on NYMC ... good luck there. Write letters for the waitlist ... who knows man .... hang in there....

JH

Originally posted by Insert
My opinion is, DOs are better due to OMM, the overall philosophy, and the style that DOs have vs MDs. To me they are nicer, more personable, and more friendly.

KEWL!

I don't know what the distribution of males and females is in other classes. I just know that my class has the reputation of having lots of woman and we do. Good deal for the single guys; not so cool for the single ladies!

Seriously, talk to Dr. Sanford and someone at the other schools if no acceptances some your way. Something made them put your application in the hold pile at these schools and if you know what it is perhaps you can fix it. Unfortunately, the 'random' part of this whole process can not be controlled and I am sorry you seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

Keep the faith!

sorry about the caps-
anyway if jay really wants to be a physician and he is on his second year of rejections maybe another direction is the way to go. if you all continue to debate the md vs. the do situation- you will never have mutual respect for each other. if what you love is medicine- get there the way that works for you. but constant rejections may tell yu something else.

well its not like I had the worst possible outcome overall, I mean i ended up getting five interviews this year, and that is taking the mcat in august, and learning that my state blows to apply from if you are not an all star. Im 23 so, its not like I am in a rush anyway. Ill apply again, worst case scenario, from a different state and earlier and to more schools and all that.. I mean I feel like I am so close...

JayMiranti said:
well its not like I had the worst possible outcome overall, I mean i ended up getting five interviews this year, and that is taking the mcat in august, and learning that my state blows to apply from if you are not an all star. Im 23 so, its not like I am in a rush anyway. Ill apply again, worst case scenario, from a different state and earlier and to more schools and all that.. I mean I feel like I am so close...
Keep telling yourself that. Don't be a fool. Apply to osteopathic schools next year as well.

Insert said:
Keep telling yourself that. Don't be a fool. Apply to osteopathic schools next year as well.

You have to be nicer when you post man. Say what you need to say, but just be nice about it, in the spirit of debate, not to personally attack. Thanks for your help.

JayMiranti said:
You have to be nicer when you post man. Say what you need to say, but just be nice about it, in the spirit of debate, not to personally attack. Thanks for your help.
I apologize. Don't make the same mistake. APPLY DO!!!!. :clap:

Jay, I know how you feel, this is my 3rd time applying, the first time I didn't get any interviews, the 2nd time I got 1 interview and got waitlisted, this time I have had lots of success getting interviews, I have 9, but I can't seem to get over the hump. I have 3 waitlists, a delayed decision, continuing canditates list, a competitive candidates list, etc and no acceptances. I am getting really worried and stressed out. I don't think I will apply a 4th time, I probably will just head to the caribean if it doesnt work out this time.

I know many wonderful DOs but they are all in general practce in accordance with their holistic philosophy. I agree that if you are going to specialize you should go MD. To me it would seem pretty difficult to take a wholistic approach to opthamology. Just my .02$$

it sucks to not know, but it sounds like you have a bunch of waitlists, so odds are good youll get in somewhere, last year my roomate got in off 3 waitlists on may 15th, all the same day, after like 8 interviews, so id like your chances.

What state are you applying from?
That makes a big difference...

and if you dont mind, could u pm me with ur stats and situation and stuff

thanks..

Sounds like bokermmk might need to stay in school a few more years or (go into research) if he can't figure out how an optho might want to treat the whole person. "Gee sir your cataracts are pretty bad, let's just put in any old IOL and send you home. Don't really care what activities you want to do after this. Please pay up front".

Get real!

Jay, you will get in, the process just needs a little leg work, that's all.