Discussing sub-par grades with ADD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman4ever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start off: I'm an applicant whose MCAT > GPA.

I believe that my low GPA can be attributed to an undiagnosed form of ADD. After graduating from undergrad (w/ a "low" GPA), I took the MCAT and scored a 31 (10 PS 10 VS 11 BS). Although not a bad score by any means, I still felt like I was capable of doing better. My frustration eventually led me to see my primary care physician who then suspected I may be suffering from undiagnosed adult ADD. After a series of tests by psychiatrists and psychologists, it was confirmed that I was indeed "suffering" from ADD.

After being diagnosed and receiving proper treatment, I went back to school and did an informal post-bacc. During this time, I was able to maintain a 3.9 GPA, which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than my original undergraduate GPA (3.2).

So here's my question: I've recently been invited to interview at my absolute number one choice and I'm really worried/not sure on how to address this issue if it comes up. Would it be appropiate to talk about my undiagnosed ADD and how it initially affected my ability to perform and succeed academically in undergrad? I would plan to follow up on this with how I've made lifestyle changes, as well as developed techniques and strategies to help me overcome these "issues", which I no longer see as "issues" or "problems", if you will.

Members don't see this ad.

You and every one else has been diagnosed with "ADD." Sounds like excuses to me, and will sound the same to adcoms too.. And thinking you have ADD and going to a shrink gives you a huge amount of selection bias.

Honestly... that sounds sketchy and more like an excuse than anything. You took the MCAT without medication and was fine... so what happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very simple: you tell the truth. Your post-bac GPA speaks for itself.

So here's my question: I've recently been invited to interview at my absolute number one choice and I'm really worried/not sure on how to address this issue if it comes up. Would it be appropiate to talk about my undiagnosed ADD and how it initially affected my ability to perform and succeed academically in undergrad? I would plan to follow up on this with how I've made lifestyle changes, as well as developed techniques and strategies to help me overcome these "issues", which I no longer see as "issues" or "problems", if you will.

Reactions: 1 user
You and every one else has been diagnosed with "ADD." Sounds like excuses to me, and will sound the same to adcoms too.. And thinking you have ADD and going to a shrink gives you a huge amount of selection bias.
I really don't think it's fair to minimize OP's issue, as if you know him. Clearly his performance increased with the help of medication. Just because ADD is overdiagnosed does not make it less real, as you're implying.

Also @moisne the ability to perform on a test =/= the ability to consistently study and maintain a high GPA. From my experience, ADD is more likely to affect the latter than the former, although it could indirectly affect test scores through ineffective studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I really don't think it's fair to minimize OP's issue, as if you know him. Clearly his performance increased with the help of medication. Just because ADD is overdiagnosed does not make it less real, as you're implying.

Also @moisne the ability to perform on a test =/= the ability to consistently study and maintain a high GPA. From my experience, ADD is more likely to affect the latter than the former, although it could indirectly affect test scores through ineffective studying.
First, everyone performs better on amphetamines. Performing better from ADD medicine does not mean you have ADD. Second, everyone has issues with motivation and concentration. Having some basal performance issue means you are human, and doesn't mean you have ADD. Third, ADD affects immediate real situations in real time, which includes exams. It affects people in everyday situations which adds up in the long run. So yes, if you have ADD, you will have problems sitting for a prolonged 8 hour mcat exam and your score will probably be affected.

First, everyone performs better on amphetamines. Performing better from ADD medicine does not mean you have ADD. Second, everyone has issues with motivation and concentration. Having some basal performance issue means you are human, and doesn't mean you have ADD. Third, ADD affects immediate real situations in real time, which includes exams. It affects people in everyday situations which adds up in the long run. So yes, if you have ADD, you will have problems sitting for a prolonged 8 hour mcat exam and your score will probably be affected.
I know you're just specifically arguing against some person's post, but I'd like to add to some of your points regardless.

First, everyone performs better on amphetamines.
This misrepresents the action of these drugs, because it's been shown that those with legitimately below-average attention spans benefit far more than those without. Those with average or above average attention-spans do not benefit as much and quickly build up a tolerance in addition.
Performing better from ADD medicine does not mean you have ADD.
It doesn't, which is why we have neuropsychiatric screening to verify that somebody's attention span is well below the 50th percentile.
Having some basal performance issue means you are human, and doesn't mean you have ADD.
Though I don't know about OP's specific circumstance, if someone's performance on a task is well-below average, could this not be attributed to some sort of disorder? Do you have a problem with this? To be clear, I acknowledge that many with average attention-spans lose focus and complain about this as well.
Third, ADD affects immediate real situations in real time, which includes exams. It affects people in everyday situations which adds up in the long run. So yes, if you have ADD, you will have problems sitting for a prolonged 8 hour mcat exam and your score will probably be affected.
Now that I've gotten over your dismissal of the disorder, I can say I agree with this 100%. You don't get extended time in the operating room, and you'll have to stay focused in the long-run for med school focus is required for memorizing all of those lectures. I've had legitimate ADD, medication issues AND neurological issues interfere with my test-taking ability. Wouldn't consider applying to med school this cycle if these weren't under wraps, regardless of my grades.

Reactions: 1 users
You (the OP) will need to decide for yourself whether or not to reveal having been diagnosed with ADD. Based on what you say, your treatment for ADD was associated with greatly improved academic performance, so your discussing that in your application would provide an explanation for your previously poorer performance, and would also help you explain why you are interested in becoming a physician. Some reviewers may value your honesty and look favorably on your history. You do need to consider that some committee members may not look favorably on an applicant who reports having a mental illness that requires treatment with psychotropic medication. Many physicians, including those who sit on applications committees, are not as open-minded as they should be on this issue. While much of the rest of the academic world (K thru College) has been making ADA accommodations for various cognitive-behavioral "disabilities" (like ADD), med school admissions committees have not caught up with them...

Normally I would ignore comments like this however, there are times I cannot stand idly by and let...misinformation be spread.

First, everyone performs better on amphetamines.

How do you know that OP is taking amphetamines? There are many medications that can be used to treat ADHD, several of which are non-stimulants. I have ADHD myself and I most certainly do NOT take amphetamines.

Performing better from ADD medicine does not mean you have ADD.
How would you define improved performance? Also, you are making again assuming that they are taking stimulant medication. Let's run with that assumption though. Folks who take stimulants and yet who do not have ADHD tend to be revved up and restless. Perhaps it does help the general population score somewhat better, but you will still have to put in the work to know the information you are being tested on. Stimulants are not going improve the academic performance of a willfully underachieving student as you make it seem. That is pure fantasy. Stimulants actually calm the restlessness and "hyperactivity" in people who actually have ADHD. Plus ADHD affects not people at school but also at home and work. Medication at best levels the playing field. With ADHD you will still have have to make life modifications and overcompensate for the self-regulation deficits it causes. I'm surprised you wouldn't think that someone with ADHD would have different brain metabolism, chemistry, or altered neuroanatomy from the general population.

Second, everyone has issues with motivation and concentration.
ADHD is MUCH more than having issues with motivation and concentration. It doesn't even begin to describe it. It is a disorder that is comprised of deficits in behavioral inhibition, sustained attention and resistance to distraction, and the regulation of one’s activity level to the demands of a situation. The fact that you would make this statement really shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Having some basal performance issue means you are human, and doesn't mean you have ADD.
Try the bottom 25%-tile of the general population.

So yes, if you have ADD, you will have problems sitting for a prolonged 8 hour mcat exam and your score will probably be affected.
There's accommodations for this with the proper documentation. For example, you can get your test split up over two days. Acquiring accommodations for the MCAT much less the USMLE is not easy, and I find it interesting that folks talk about it flagrantly like "everyone" can get them.

To OP: Generally it is a good idea not to divulge more information than what is asked for. I would say if they ask what caused the turn around in academic performance then you probably could mention it only because you have proof that you can perform once you were diagnosed and treated. You can also mention what you plan to do going forward if you were accepted. Yes, there is always the danger that some closed-minded adcoms might use it as a way to weed you out however, you have to consider would you really want to go to a school that uses your disability as a way to weed you out? When I selected the med schools I wanted to apply to I definitely made sure that they had well established academic support services specifically for students that have learning disabilities. You will want to identify yourself to them once admitted and know you will be attending. As the wise Goro says, medical school is a furnace even for the high achieving student. When you have ADHD you often have overcompensate much more than your peers. You will very likely hit a wall at some point. Avail yourself of their services even when you think things are going well. do not wait until things are going bad because it will be too late.

Reactions: 1 users
To start off: I'm an applicant whose MCAT > GPA.

I believe that my low GPA can be attributed to an undiagnosed form of ADD. After graduating from undergrad (w/ a "low" GPA), I took the MCAT and scored a 31 (10 PS 10 VS 11 BS). Although not a bad score by any means, I still felt like I was capable of doing better. My frustration eventually led me to see my primary care physician who then suspected I may be suffering from undiagnosed adult ADD. After a series of tests by psychiatrists and psychologists, it was confirmed that I was indeed "suffering" from ADD.

After being diagnosed and receiving proper treatment, I went back to school and did an informal post-bacc. During this time, I was able to maintain a 3.9 GPA, which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than my original undergraduate GPA (3.2).

Stick with the truth. Otherwise you'll have to concoct some made-up story as to why there was the discrepancy, why you think you did better on your post-bacc, etc. It's never a good idea to lie to admissions officers; it will catch up with you eventually.

Sure, some admissions officers may think the ADD thing is a bunch of BS. But all you need is one to buy your story. And truth be told, I think most will be fairly sympathetic to it. Admissions officers are generally very enthusiastic about accepting applicants with disabilities/challenges who have demonstrated they can in fact overcome them. Good "optics," as they say. :)

Reactions: 1 user