Discussion for those less than a 230

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mye Eye

Ophtho Cookie Eater
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it must be frustrating to be happy with the fact your passed and your score...only to come online and see what seems like EVERYONE scoring in the 250+ range (a biased sample if i've ever seen one)

this forum is for anyone who scored less than 230 to post and discuss their experiences...please if you scored above 230, don't post your score (or even a range, i.e. "i was in the 240s") here...but feel free to explain what you felt worked

congrats to all of you that passed

Members don't see this ad.

Mye Eye said:
I know it must be frustrating to be happy with the fact your passed and your score...only to come online and see what seems like EVERYONE scoring in the 250+ range (a biased sample if i've ever seen one)

this forum is for anyone who scored less than 230 to post and discuss their experiences...please if you scored above 230, don't post your score (or even a range, i.e. "i was in the 240s") here...but feel free to explain what you felt worked

congrats to all of you that passed

I did average on Step one ( 214) and am above average in school ( but definitely not AMA material). However, I have an MPH from a v well known university and have done lots of extracurriculars and had a whole hx before coming to Medical School. I'm considering OB, Internal/ID, EM or Neuro ( I know those are pretty disparate). I'd like to match in Cali, because that's where my family and friends are. Should I rule certain residencies out, based on my scores? What should I do during 3rd year to ensure that I get what I want? I don't mind working my butt off if I get to go where I want . . . It's just that I'm not a great standardized test taker -but it seems like that's the only thing your worth as a doctor is based on!

Cool... I belong here, with a 229. Thought I'd do better though, but hopefully it's good enough for EM at a reputable program in a large city(NYC, Chicago, SF..etc)

Yeah?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 219
Studied with partners 2-3 times a week with Lange and BRS cards. It was much more fun that way. We could go about 8-12 hours depending on the day. I studied alone the other days -- made a schedule by organ systems, listened to Goljian religiously. I did btn 50-100 qs per day. Studied for 1.5 months.

One thing I wish I did was not change my answers. I rushed through the test and had 15 mins xtra after every block to "check" my answers. I think if I just answered it and moved on 1.) I wouldn't have had a headache afterwards. 2.) I wouldn't have kicked myself for changing a bunch of right answers to wrong answers -- I checked some of the answers during the break.

I totally thought I failed after the exam. But apparently I did ok.

Yes, this thread feels like home.
DISCLAIMER: posted by poor standardized test taker

I used First Aid as the core and tried to supplement it with BRS path and clinical Microbio Made Rid. Simple. went through most of q-bank (>97% of it) and averaged a 58% overall - 67% in the last six tries. All first pass, random blocks of 50.

MCAT=29

I went to a secluded retreat(condo) and studied for like 5 weeks, alone, about everyday. I scored a 222 and am absolutely thrilled. I think that most folks with the same regiment probably could have done better. I was a less than average MS1 and MS2 gradewise but I think I'm proof that lots and lots and lots of work and get one to pass. It was definitley the hardest I've ever studied for anything in my very long school career.

Interested in EM and hopeful to find a spot in 2 years. Thanks again for starting this thread!!!

By the way I felt very very very very bad about the test after it was over. And like the previous post I think it is important to point out that many students feel like they failed it after they take it.

Bolt Upright said:
By the way I felt very very very very bad about the test after it was over. And like the previous post I think it is important to point out that many students feel like they failed it after they take it.
yeah i hear the same thing

congrats again on that score...that's a fantastic score and you're rightfully proud!

Mye Eye said:
yeah i hear the same thing

congrats again on that score...that's a fantastic score and you're rightfully proud!

I'm terribly happy with my 207. Trying not to feel guilty about being happy about it because it's not a great score, but it's an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned!
I did qbank for 4-5 hrs a day for 6 weeks , listened to goljan for at least 2 hrs aday, and studied review books, etc for another 4-5 hrs.

Hey all, I'm in here with a 200. I am glad to say that a lot of people have been upbeat with me, reminding me that 1) Passing is a big deal itself. and 2) Most of the people in med school are going to be near the average. I was starting to forget about that stuff, being that everybody on here seems to be throwing down a 260.

Sean2tall said:
Hey all, I'm in here with a 200. I am glad to say that a lot of people have been upbeat with me, reminding me that 1) Passing is a big deal itself. and 2) Most of the people in med school are going to be near the average. I was starting to forget about that stuff, being that everybody on here seems to be throwing down a 260.
nice work sean, that's nothing to be upset with...you are well above the passing mark, and sound really interested in radiology...lop some research under your belt and look at small programs...and i'm fairly confident one of them will be lucky to get you

congrats and great work!

Before I took the boards, I went and talked with my dean regarding what my goals should be for Step 1. I'm a pretty average student without killing myself and have pretty average goals (OB/GYN, Peds, IM). That said, my dean said that for Step 1, a 220 will be competitive for most fields. I talked to a intern that is going into anesthesiology and she told me that when she was applying, 225 is the cutoff for consideration at Emory for anesthesiology. The moral of the story is that although the people on this website will make you feel like a failure, you're still pretty competitive even at prestigious programs.

Congratulate yourself for a successful Step 1 and enjoy your rotations! :D

Also, I saw a surgeon speak at the AMSA convention this year who failed step one twice and then still did what it took to get into a surgery program so I think that the step one score might make a certain specialty more or less difficult to get into but never absolutely out of reach.

I know there are these programs with "minimum board scores" etc, but I think that at this point, you can really push in different ways (taking time to do research/an internship) to get to where you want to be more or less regardless of the step one score...

wow, just looking at this thread already makes me feel inadequate. I just wanna pass too! But I know I may need to do better for rad onc. =P

Pewl said:
wow, just looking at this thread already makes me feel inadequate. I just wanna pass too! But I know I may need to do better for rad onc. =P
u havent even started your first year of med school my friend

sit back, relax...you have more than enough time...if u stress out like this before u get to med school, you'll give urself an MI when the real deal comes

My Eye's right...It's a bunch of work, you'll do it, you'll end up where you want to...

I think that board scores get more anxiety than they deserve...

I've given a lot of it!