Disliking Bio and Chem and Being a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noworkhistory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else REALLY dislike bio and chem (when I say dislike, I don't mean to use the word 'dislike' as in having a frustration that comes from being inept with the subjects as in the way a lot of students tend to use the word, but rather a genuine dislike for the material, even while getting good grades in the classes). Would it even be worth it for me to pursue being a doctor given that 100% of the classes along the way are going to involve bio/chem/physics? Are there any doctors out there who feel the same way, and who've pushed through anyway because they like the actual job of being a doctor, which doesn't involve many of the things you learn along the way in the classes? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else REALLY dislike bio and chem (when I say dislike, I don't mean to use the word 'dislike' as in having a frustration that comes from being inept with the subjects as in the way a lot of students tend to use the word, but rather a genuine dislike for the material, even while getting good grades in the classes). Would it even be worth it for me to pursue being a doctor given that 100% of the classes along the way are going to involve bio/chem/physics? Are there any doctors out there who feel the same way, and who've pushed through anyway because they like the actual job of being a doctor, which doesn't involve many of the things you learn along the way in the classes? What do you think?

did you not say in another thread that you love the sciences?

Ya, I love the science, most especially. Was thinking medical scientist too therefore along those lines.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Depends on which parts of biology you dislike. There are obviously tons of parallels to human medicine in biology. Chemistry is important when it comes to learning things like cell membrane ion potentials and general cell chemistry. Orgo is also quite important to understand parts of basic cell biology such as metabolism.

That said, I didn't enjoy the prereqs very much either when it felt like they were disconnected from medicine. Either way, learn them very well as this is exactly the material the MCAT covers.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you not say in another thread that you love the sciences?

To clear that up - I guess there's a difference between appreciating what the sciences do and appreciating a few scientific concepts, but that's not at all the same as doing science or studying it intensely. I thought I liked science 5 years ago (or, at least, thought I "should" like science because I am smart) when I was taking the high school classes in those subjects, and despite doing very well back then, revisiting those subjects these days shows me the level of self-deception I had in that respect, because I absolutely do not like those subjects at all anymore. When I wrote that post that I liked science, I guess I wasn't 100% sure about how I felt about science these days, because going to class this week has really shown me how much my interests have changed since then.

Depends on which parts of biology you dislike. There are obviously tons of parallels to human medicine in biology. Chemistry is important when it comes to learning things like cell membrane ion potentials and general cell chemistry. Orgo is also quite important to understand parts of basic cell biology such as metabolism.

That said, I didn't enjoy the prereqs very much either when it felt like they were disconnected from medicine. Either way, learn them very well as this is exactly the material the MCAT covers.

Side note: I couldn't put it into words before, but the bolded sentence here is why I bought the USMLE, for everyone posting on my other thread. haha.

So, would you say that if you STILL find science tedious even after you appreciate its connection to human medicine, that it's probably not something worth pursuing? Or do most doctors feel that way, and they just do the job anyway because they mainly enjoy saving lives? Or do most doctors love all the science involved too?

I'm gonna say this gently.... Given the number of threads you have started recently and their topics, you seem to be trying to figure out if medicine is the right career for you. Thing is sweetie, no one here can tell you if it is...and even if we tried to tell you and you actually listened to us then perhaps you need to re-examine what a career means. We're not gonna be committing the rest of our lives to it. You are.

Working as a doctor will not necessarily require you to know the itsy bitsy details of biology, chemistry, math and physics but these subjects are the bedrock on which the body of knowledge that pertains to the profession lie. If you have a genuine dislike for them I would raise an eyebrow to your suitability...but then what do I know?

Being a doctor, I have heard and seen, comes with its own set of complications that BCMP will not prepare you for. That I believe is why Adcoms expect academic performance to be accompanied by activities which show that you have investigated the profession and think it is a good fit for you. "Intellectual Acumen" is not enough.

Take some time to think things through without trying to get a group of strangers to validate your every thought, feeling and premonition. If you have a specific question, you'll find a lot of help here. If you just want to goof off even, I'm sure someone on here will accomodate you, goofballs that we are. But if you are going to keep asking weird questions and putting up crazy threads, you will find soon enough that SDN can rape your self esteem.

Peace

My god, I know freshman premeds are neurotic but I can't believe someone can take it to this level. You're a few days into college, just give yourself a few months to a year and decide for yourself. What do you expect random internet strangers to say? We don't even know anything about you other than the fact you make stupid threads.

:slap:

You've been in college classes for like 2 days. STOP making threads. You are exhausting.

My god, I know freshman premeds are neurotic but I can't believe someone can take it to this level. You're a few days into college, just give yourself a few months to a year and decide for yourself. What do you expect random internet strangers to say? We don't even know anything about you other than the fact you make stupid threads.

Lecture 1: The four physical states of matter arOH MY GOD I HATE THIS SO MUCH I DON'T WANT TO BE A DOCTOR

You're not 'random internet strangers' - you're medical students and doctors. lol.

lol OP are you seriously a freshman in his first semester? Come on dude, intro science courses are never interesting until you're well into the first semester. Even advanced courses don't get interesting until a few weeks in. Hell, even the ****ing graduate neuroscience course I took in my last semester of college made us suffer through refresher material for the two weeks.

For what it's worth though, I didn't find intro bio very interesting at all, and orgo was one of the most boring classes I ever took. However, when I studied for the MCAT both of those subjects actually became pretty interesting because they were finally put in context that linked them with all the other sciences and made me realize just how much stuff you could explain with nothing more than intro course concepts.

Anyway, if you want to find out if medicine is for you or not the only way to get a good idea is to do shadowing and clinical volunteering (maybe just shadowing since most "clinical volunteering" isn't really that clinical). Classes aren't a very good indication; it's been my personal experience that most pre-meds hate all their classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, if you want to find out if medicine is for you or not the only way to get a good idea is to do shadowing and clinical volunteering (maybe just shadowing since most "clinical volunteering" isn't really that clinical). Classes aren't a very good indication; it's been my personal experience that most pre-meds hate all their classes.

People have told him this multiple times, and then he'll say, "yeah, maybe I need to just go shadow" and then a few hours later start a thread about how he doesn't like reading first aid, so maybe he shouldn't be a doctor.

:bang:

You're not 'random internet strangers' - you're medical students and doctors. lol.

Really? Because I could've sworn that most of the people posting here have the label "pre-medical" next to their names...

Even if we were all medical students and physicians, it doesn't mean that we're not random internet strangers. Try this, I will bet you a testicle and a half that you can't tell me my first name. If you can't, then yes, I'm a stranger to you.

We know nothing about you so how do you expect us to give any real answer?

Here's a tip, if an entire forum is telling you to stop posting, then maybe you should think before you post.

No Work History = I Love Science

Legit?

Try this, I will bet you a testicle and a half that you can't tell me my first name. If you can't, then yes, I'm a stranger to you.

Is it Dave?

I bet it's Dave.

It's Dave isn't it?

Soak in egg, batter it up with some flour. Boom fried testicle=delish?

Definitely, but if you're going for the presentation as well, I'd go for two whole fried testicles to really even out the symmetry of the dish. Aesthetic appeal can really enhance perceived taste for food sometimes.

Wait, did the OP have some type of question or something?

You've been in college classes for like 2 days. STOP making threads. You are exhausting.

Will somebody ban this guy already?...Good god, I can't believe he still has an account.

:thumbup:

OP is giving an all-out offensive against SDN members! Agreed as to why the mods/admins aren't banning him/her... clear definition of a troll.

Definitely, but if you're going for the presentation as well, I'd go for two whole fried testicles to really even out the symmetry of the dish. Aesthetic appeal can really enhance perceived taste for food sometimes.

+1 :laugh:

lol OP are you seriously a freshman in his first semester? Come on dude, intro science courses are never interesting until you're well into the first semester. Even advanced courses don't get interesting until a few weeks in. Hell, even the ****ing graduate neuroscience course I took in my last semester of college made us suffer through refresher material for the two weeks.

For what it's worth though, I didn't find intro bio very interesting at all, and orgo was one of the most boring classes I ever took. However, when I studied for the MCAT both of those subjects actually became pretty interesting because they were finally put in context that linked them with all the other sciences and made me realize just how much stuff you could explain with nothing more than intro course concepts.

Definitely gonna shadow! Thank you! :)

:thumbup:

OP is giving an all-out offensive against SDN members! Agreed as to why the mods/admins aren't banning him/her... clear definition of a troll.

+1 :laugh:

Not a troll - but I will say that I'm a bit testy (no pun via these new replies) sometimes, more than I'd like to be, because I still am the beast without a princess (Beauty and the Beast reference) Ie, a nice guy, but testier than he could be without having that relationship. Hopefully you guys can understand that. That's another reason why I brought that up in that other thread, actually. Thanks.

Not a troll - but I will say that I'm a bit testy (no pun via these new replies) sometimes, more than I'd like to be, because I still am the beast without a princess (Beauty and the Beast reference) Ie, a nice guy, but testier than he could be without having that relationship. Hopefully you guys can understand that. That's another reason why I brought that up in that other thread, actually. Thanks.

Includes old Disney movie reference to convince he's not a troll. :laugh:

Speaking of aesthetic appeal - I'm unsure as to whether I'm an art guy or a science guy, because when I think of art, I get waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more excited about going to college - but I have this thing in the back of my mind that keeps saying that I only want to do art and that I get excited about it only because I'm being lazy and don't want to do the 10+ years for science/medicine. I'd trust my heart when it says art, but it's just that I'd always been a science guy. But then again, thinking back on it, I was really depressed when I was doing science, albeit unwittingly depressed. Though it's true that I never even questioned whether I'd be more interested in art until this year because of the generally low pay in any given field.

Therefore, this is why shadowing is now so crucial!

Includes old Disney movie reference to convince he's not a troll. :laugh:

Lots of movies have that same exact theme! I just use Beauty and the Beast because I like the animation and the soundtrack and because it's the first one that came to mind!

Lots of movies have that same exact theme! I just use Beauty and the Beast because I like the animation and the soundtrack and because it's the first one that came to mind!

Maybe your love for Disney children movies has something to do with all that bad luck with the ladies??

lol I don't have bad luck with the ladies.

:confused:

But we are random internet strangers, some who happens to be med students and doctors ;)

You most likely won't meet anyone who see on forums like this in your life, or like someone mentioned, won't know someone's name at all. So for example, even though I'm a med student, I'm still a random internet stranger to people reading this since all they know is a username.

You're a frosh in college means that you will have a lot of time to figure out what you want to do. Yes, you may have started to develop a dislike for science, however, and I'm assuming here, that's only because you don't have the broad based knowledge of having taken other courses science, humanities, math, etc.

I used to tell people I disliked cell and molecular Biology, (I'm ok with ecology and evolution b/c of the game theory concepts) that was me like 3 months ago. Even though, 6 months ago I decided to change my whole career goal from finance to health care (long story...). Yet the past 6 months I have completed Gen chem and O-chem, which I enjoyed and loved!!!, I come back to reading the cell and molecular bio in the intro bio books and found out how much more sense they made; all those nitbits in about proteins, carbs, and lipids just became much more fascinating. That's not unique to only chem and bio, e.g. some people who got a taste of the history of science also felt a better appreciation for science because of the long and arduous road it took to make those discoveries, albeit how simple it may seem.

Hard as it may sounds health or even any science career may not be for you, or most people in those major. While I agree with the prior poster in saying you should re-evaluate your career, but you still have time to wander around. So maybe one day you'll take a subject that leads you to a better appreciation of it, or maybe not. I know a lot of people majoring in biology who just wasted 4 years of college, some with great grades, some just barely passing, looking back and saying "wtf I did with my time." If after some time of taking these subjects you realize you just really want to disown your major, then don't force yourself to do something you don't like...there's no point in it.

But we are random internet strangers, some who happens to be med students and doctors ;)

You most likely won't meet anyone who see on forums like this in your life, or like someone mentioned, won't know someone's name at all. So for example, even though I'm a med student, I'm still a random internet stranger to people reading this since all they know is a username.

Ok. When I said "random strangers" I meant a random stranger who isn't studying science/medicine. Obv that's the more important issue, the fact that 99.9% of people here are studying science/medicine. The random strangers over on a humanities board would have absolutely zero idea how to answer my questions, while, posting them here, I'm having some luck. Yes, yes, let the jokes ensue: "OP, it doesn't matter where you post your questions: they are completely incomprehensible! Idiot! We hate you! Stop posting jerk! BAN! BAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!"

Last edited:
You're a frosh in college means that you will have a lot of time to figure out what you want to do. Yes, you may have started to develop a dislike for science, however, and I'm assuming here, that's only because you don't have the broad based knowledge of having taken other courses science, humanities, math, etc.

I used to tell people I disliked cell and molecular Biology, (I'm ok with ecology and evolution b/c of the game theory concepts) that was me like 3 months ago. Even though, 6 months ago I decided to change my whole career goal from finance to health care (long story...). Yet the past 6 months I have completed Gen chem and O-chem, which I enjoyed and loved!!!, I come back to reading the cell and molecular bio in the intro bio books and found out how much more sense they made; all those nitbits in about proteins, carbs, and lipids just became much more fascinating. That's not unique to only chem and bio, e.g. some people who got a taste of the history of science also felt a better appreciation for science because of the long and arduous road it took to make those discoveries, albeit how simple it may seem.

Hard as it may sounds health or even any science career may not be for you, or most people in those major. While I agree with the prior poster in saying you should re-evaluate your career, but you still have time to wander around. So maybe one day you'll take a subject that leads you to a better appreciation of it, or maybe not. I know a lot of people majoring in biology who just wasted 4 years of college, some with great grades, some just barely passing, looking back and saying "wtf I did with my time." If after some time of taking these subjects you realize you just really want to disown your major, then don't force yourself to do something you don't like...there's no point in it.

Thanks Billy - I will keep this in mind! :)

There are just way nicer ways of being nice and offering criticism. I have thick skin - I just find that the fact that I had to grow thick skin in the first place very strange and I'm kind of bitter about that still.

I have a feeling medicine is going to suck and I'm going to go into music with a concentration in vocal performance instead, which is my true passion and the passion I would find the most attractive in the opposite sex. But I just want to be sure because of all this financial security involved with medicine.

mehc - I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty:confused:

"Tl;dr op's an idiot" - No, not mean-spirited at all

Hmm, I wish I knew the right way to eliminate medicine....probably job shadowing. I've called the HR dept at my hospital twice so far over the past 2 days and left 2 messages and they haven't called me back at all. I think that's a sign to avoid medicine?

I've been singing all day. I'm not exaggerating when I say that that's ALL I do is sing, no matter what I'm doing, even shopping at the grocery store, even while watching movies and TV. I've always loved singing and music, I just never thought of pursuing it because I'd probably be broke and because I always wanted to be a badass growing up because I thought that's the way others wanted me to be (think Nutty Professor or one of those types of characters) and so anything in art or music would have been too soft to fit that image, but these days I know better and I know that it's cool to be soft and that there are tons of people out there like that. Unless I were a professor or something, I probably couldn't make a living with vocal performance, and now I'm reading that humanities professor positions are really hard to come by these days.

Gotta start shadowing a pharmacist and a physician and maybe moonlight with music!

"And listen to the music of the night................." lol...

Just found these gems from your other thread.... Now I feel bad for trying to be nice to you.

Just found these gems from your other thread.... Now I feel bad for trying to be nice to you.

lol why? Because I can't make up my mind? Just because I'm probably not going to like medicine/pharmacy doesn't mean I'm not going to do it. I'll do it because of the financial security involved and be a musician on the side, is what I was saying. Most people don't like their jobs.

lol why? Because I can't make up my mind? Just because I'm probably not going to like medicine/pharmacy doesn't mean I'm not going to do it. I'll do it because of the financial security involved and be a musician on the side, is what I was saying. Most people don't like their jobs.

Yeah good luck with that. Also make sure to say all that in your interview.

Medicine is a lot about patient interaction, so you don't need to "love" science to be a physician; nonetheless, pre-med and med school is gonna be a lot of science, so get used to that.

But dude, science is awesome!!! Sorry, my quick opinion.

Hopefully that's not the only reason. And if you hate your job with having to do it 80 hrs during residency, and 50-70hrs as an attending, it might bring someone in severe depression. And being a musician on the side, it's perfectly possible, but I think getting through basic bio + chem and actually shadowing before thinking about stuff YEARS ahead. Of course you're not gonna go on tour and be like a famous person, unless you are delusional lol. But, you can pursue a good hobby with music and do local shows and such.

Btw, Freesia88, great job finding those posts. I enjoyed them.

No, because you feel and act on this pathological need to inflict your indecision on this forum under the guise of asking for advice. You have been given advice and your questions answered in multiple threads by multiple people ad nauseaum, but you just won't listen and you just won't quit.

At this point I hope you are trolling because nobody should be this dense.

But then...you're probably going to find something to respond with to this won't you?

Hmm...this thread has made me realize something interesting. Obviously I love SDN first and foremost for all of the amazing resources and wealth of information it provides, but it is trolls and people like the OP who make SDN entertaining in addition to the site being informative. What would SDN be like without a few trolls and misguided individuals like the OP to provide a little bit of fun. I mean that's why these threads get so many replies isn't it? Obviously there must be a balance however, and I recognize the need for moderators and such.

Just some food for thought...

Hmm...this thread has made me realize something interesting. Obviously I love SDN first and foremost for all of the amazing resources and wealth of information it provides, but it is trolls and people like the OP who make SDN entertaining in addition to the site being informative. What would SDN be like without a few trolls and misguided individuals like the OP to provide a little bit of fun. I mean that's why these threads get so many replies isn't it? Obviously there must be a balance however, and I recognize the need for moderators and such.

Just some food for thought...

I agree, I think trolls are taken too seriously sometimes on sdn. Unless it's blatantly obvious, it's better just to have fun and roll with it.

Hopefully that's not the only reason. And if you hate your job with having to do it 80 hrs during residency, and 50-70hrs as an attending, it might bring someone in severe depression. And being a musician on the side, it's perfectly possible, but I think getting through basic bio + chem and actually shadowing before thinking about stuff YEARS ahead. Of course you're not gonna go on tour and be like a famous person, unless you are delusional lol. But, you can pursue a good hobby with music and do local shows and such.

Yeah, that's why I said being a music professor, or at least a good music tutor or something. I wouldn't want to be famous/tour/etc anyway, even local shows. I simply just like singing and music in general, but mostly singing.