Dismissed from Dental School Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xenofly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well the title says my problem but I have more questions.

I was dismissed from dental school (D1) after failing my Anatomy course+lab. I had a hard time with all of my book based courses, barely scrapping by with a passing grade on the other science courses. However, I was in the top of my class when it came to my clinical courses. All of the assignments were turned in on time and I arrived consistently on time for all classes.

After receiving the failing grade, I hoped for the best outcome but was unsure how to precede. This was the first time I had ever taken anatomy and the professor explained “we all have taken anatomy so it should be a fast review for the class”. I have never been afraid of challenges. I was scheduled to meet with the educational assessment committee. In the meeting one of the members asked me how long I slept nightly while I was attending. After I told them I was trying to get seven hours of sleep every night the same member explained to me that I was not putting as much effort as I could into the course work because of the time I spent sleeping. I thought they might allow me to remediate the course+lab. When I asked if I could retake the course they explained that the next quarters material builds off the one I failed. Since I didn’t know enough of the last anatomy course I would struggle even more with the next quarters material. I was told I would hear back from them to find out their recommendation. I was sent a letter four days later in the mail explaining how the committee voted to dismiss me from dental school. As soon as I found out the news I went to talk with some of the faculty about the dismissal. The people I talked with explained that because I failed the course it was well within the dental school’s rights to dismiss me and showed me in the student handbook where it specifically states it.

I have been spending time reading these forums trying to figure out the best option in my case. I have some additional questions.

1. Am I or why might I be stuck at this school or can I go to another school with a fresh start?

2. From what I can tell no credits are transferable, does this mean that another school is an option since I have only been in dental school for two quarters?

3. If I attend another school will I be forced to show that I was dismissed from another dental school?

4. How would the new dental school know ever attended another dental school?

5. Am I too late to appeal the dismissal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hire a lawyer if you wish to appeal, as you are not capable of handling this on your own. Your student handbook will spell out the appeals process. It is not too late, as you will probably have to repeat the entire year if readmitted. Good luck.

I've never heard of someone getting into another school under these circumstances.. if I was in your shoes, I'd put all my energy into an appeal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of someone getting into another school under these circumstances.. if I was in your shoes, I'd put all my energy into an appeal.

Well it happened to my D1 roommate. He failed a course and was dismissed from Univ of Nebraska. He applied to Creighton and was accepted.

Reactions: 7 users
Were you dismissed because you haven’t taken anatomy before? I know for some (most) schools it is a requirement. It seems like most schools have a remediation process for courses so I find it odd they would dismiss you due to failing one course.

Dental school isn't easy. A few people I know were let go from my class for not doing well. It's not cut out for everyone. My school has similar policies and if you fail a class, they will look at your overall performance and pass judgement whether to allow you to repeat the year or ask you to leave for failing a course.

With that being said, you will have to disclose to each dental school you apply to that you previously attended dental school and provide your GPA. It will be a hard road, but not an impossible one. You have to put more time into your studies if you wish to succeed. It's an expensive lesson learned.

As for future advice for anyone in a similar situation, it is wise to withdraw before the term ends if you know that you will fail a course. Schools will be much more open to individuals who have an academic withdrawal than an F in offering a transfer to another dental school. Doors will close quickly on the possibility of a transfer otherwise.

Most schools allow an appeal. You can ask for one, but if your other course grades aren't up to snuff, you will not have much of a case. Didactic courses are important, and if you cannot get through them without barely passing, you will have difficulty in passing the board exams to get licensed. They may offer you another opportunity to repeat the year, so ask for it and put all your energy into your academic studies.

Last edited:
Well it happened to my D1 roommate. He failed a course and was dismissed from Univ of Nebraska. He applied to Creighton and was accepted.
A bit off topic but did your roommate try to fail out or just come onto some unfortunate serious of events which led to his dismissal? I know programs do everything possible to make sure their students make it to the end.

A bit off topic but did your roommate try to fail out or just come onto some unfortunate serious of events which led to his dismissal? I know programs do everything possible to make sure their students make it to the end.

He didn't try to fail. He just underestimated the amount of studying required in dental school. He actually had a job on the side (worked nights as a security guard at UNL). His priorities were not in check. I actually did not know he was struggling until he told me. The next year ...he was accepted to Creighton. I do not know all the particulars. But he is a dentist now no different than any other dentist.

You are getting domed for sleeping 7 hours a night? Whatever school this is, that is pathetic. I hate how so many dental schools act so hardball about coursework. Majority of medical schools have such lax schedules, its proven overworking students won't make them any better as physicians yet dental schools still operate that way in regards to dentistry.

By 3rd year majority of us have probably forgotten 75% of the anatomy we crammed into our brains anyways. Next time ask your dentist where the straight saggital sinus meets up with the great cerebral vein and see if he knows. Head and neck is certainly important but half your courses revolve around all these nerves muscles and bones so you will keep getting refreshed about that anyways. How important is it to know the ureter passes under the renal vein? You are a dentist not a surgeon, so that **** doesnt even matter.

While my school lets you remediate, its sad how other schools do not. Especially with that much tuition on the line. I can relearn head and neck in and out in 2 weeks tops, which is the most applicable part of anatomy for dental school. The school isnt able to give you over the summer to remediate that? Bullcrap. Horribly run school as are all schools who force you to repeat years/kick you out for one course.

Reactions: 8 users
The problem is that you didn't have the background going in to handle all of those book based classes at once. It is not easy. The best answer is to see if they will re-track you and try again next year. Maybe you can audit the classes for the rest of the year (but I doubt it)? If they are truly kicking you out, then find a "friendlier" school to go to if you still want to be a dentist. You'll probably have to spend next year taking the science based classes at your local school to show that you have the ability and then re-apply for the 2019 entering class. Hopefully they won't make you wait until 2020. Next time going in you will be prepared. I don't think anybody is really ready for the slap in the face that is dental school. Don't give up if you want to do this!

You are getting domed for sleeping 7 hours a night? Whatever school this is, that is pathetic. I hate how so many dental schools act so hardball about coursework. Majority of medical schools have such lax schedules, its proven overworking students won't make them any better as physicians yet dental schools still operate that way in regards to dentistry.

By 3rd year majority of us have probably forgotten 75% of the anatomy we crammed into our brains anyways. Next time ask your dentist where the straight saggital sinus meets up with the great cerebral vein and see if he knows. Head and neck is certainly important but half your courses revolve around all these nerves muscles and bones so you will keep getting refreshed about that anyways. How important is it to know the ureter passes under the renal vein? You are a dentist not a surgeon, so that **** doesnt even matter.

While my school lets you remediate, its sad how other schools do not. Especially with that much tuition on the line. I can relearn head and neck in and out in 2 weeks tops, which is the most applicable part of anatomy for dental school. The school isnt able to give you over the summer to remediate that? Bullcrap. Horribly run school as are all schools who force you to repeat years/kick you out for one course.
Another good question to ask during interviews. What is the point to go to a school if they don't plan to treat you as a human

Reactions: 1 users
You should begin the appeals process if you have not already. This is almost certainly your best shot.

A couple to a few people in each class were held back at my school. I didnt know them well, but I dont think any were actually dismissed. That should be the goal I would imagine - get back into it with only a year of tuition and practice lost.

speak to your school. Work out an arrangement where you can either retake the year or retake the year with having completed extra courses such as anatomy. Finally, if you do need to reapply I would also start that soon so that your application can be ready in June.

Your school admin seems like my school admin, and that's not good.
I would appeal (look into what the process is) and get a lawyer.
If the appeal goes through, then just withdraw and attend a different school.
Your school's admin seems like mine. Once you show up on their radar, they are going to retaliate and make the next 3 yrs hell.
Just go to a different school.
Difficult situation. Good luck

Your school admin seems like my school admin, and that's not good.
I would appeal (look into what the process is) and get a lawyer.
If the appeal goes through, then just withdraw and attend a different school.
Your school's admin seems like mine. Once you show up on their radar, they are going to retaliate and make the next 3 yrs hell.
Just go to a different school.
Difficult situation. Good luck

Appealing might get tricky when re-applying, because schools might be less likely to accept her if they learn about it.