Dismissed from Osteopathic Medical School due to COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol ^^^ c'mon fellas. It's all good. Thanks you all

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true Goro. My situation is absolutely horrible since many programs/careers would judge me based on my standardized testing skills. It's a shame but if over 90% of people in this profession could pass it after their first time, there is no reason why I shouldn't, especially after 3. No need to beat me up, I know what position I am in due to my mistakes. However, I will continue to get therapy and make sure I'm fit and ready to pursue what is ahead of me.

That's true Goro. My situation is absolutely horrible since many programs/careers would judge me based on my standardized testing skills. It's a shame but if over 90% of people in this profession could pass it after their first time, there is no reason why I shouldn't, especially after 3. No need to beat me up, I know what position I am in due to my mistakes. However, I will continue to get therapy and make sure I'm fit and ready to pursue what is ahead of me.

Why did you fail COMLEX?

Did you answer all the questions, or did you run out of time?
Did you find that you panicked ? Test anxiety?
Did you not know the material? We're you guessing every question?
Did you run COMBANK and or COMQUEST twice?
Did you have enough time to study?
Do you have ADHD.

People fail for different reasons. I failed STEP 1 one time. Passed the next.
I failed the first time because I had only 3 weeks of dedicated study and I needed 6. I passed the second time because I glued myself to COMBANK and 1st Aid, and Medbullets. I limited 1 st Aid/Med Bullets to four hours a day and literally painted 1st Aid with rainbow ink or handwrote out the bullets on Med bullets. I spent 10 hours a day on COMBANK 8 or 9 in tutor, and 1 or 2 in Timed in order to learn pacing. I used a study drug - Straterra. Two hours for chores, food shopping, petting kitty, or hygiene. 8 for sleep.

People pass or fail for different reasons. Tell me what happened.

P.S. Never mind the word Professionalism. It means one thing, but is more often than not, just used to bully people in the medical professions. Just be kind, do good deeds and smell clean.

Reactions: 2 users
Why did you fail COMLEX?

Did you answer all the questions, or did you run out of time?
Did you find that you panicked ? Test anxiety?
Did you not know the material? We're you guessing every question?
Did you run COMBANK and or COMQUEST twice?
Did you have enough time to study?
Do you have ADHD.

People fail for different reasons. I failed STEP 1 one time. Passed the next.
I failed the first time because I had only 3 weeks of dedicated study and I needed 6. I passed the second time because I glued myself to COMBANK and 1st Aid, and Medbullets. I limited 1 st Aid/Med Bullets to four hours a day and literally painted 1st Aid with rainbow ink or handwrote out the bullets on Med bullets. I spent 10 hours a day on COMBANK 8 or 9 in tutor, and 1 or 2 in Timed in order to learn pacing. I used a study drug - Straterra. Two hours for chores, food shopping, petting kitty, or hygiene. 8 for sleep.

People pass or fail for different reasons. Tell me what happened.

P.S. Never mind the word Professionalism. It means one thing, but is more often than not, just used to bully people in the medical professions. Just be kind, do good deeds and smell clean.

I have spent countless hours on combank and comquest. I have finished uworld twice and I truly believe I have an issue that I somehow can not identify. I am currently being treated but I would like to move on with my life. I have tried to study and retain information in many different ways. I sometimes wish I was dismissed or failed a course during medical school to help identify an issue before I got dismissed due to failing the comlex. So thankful of you to share your success and I really hope that your post will help others in the future. Thank you!

A really key thing here is going to be , were you 'dismissed', or did the school allow you to 'withdraw'? Because if you were allowed to withdraw, you can always take time off, do some research/work, and try to reapply at a later date ( I have a friend who did this ).

As far as the carrib goes, I had a classmate dismissed from my class in 3rd year, he went to a no-name carrib school, and still hasn't been able to match into a residency spot. This was his 3rd time applying and he's now looking at other healthcare jobs.

Also, the Usmle imho is a much tougher test than the comlex. Going from 3 comlex failures to passing the usmle, especially being removed from medicine, is going to be a tough task man. It's a tough position and there are no easy answers.

I know someone who was dismissed from NSU-COM and then went to ROSS; he is an IM doc now. Obviously, things are different now than they were 5-6 years ago.

I would give USMLE step1 a shot if I were you and try to transfer to a good (SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, AUA, MUA) Carib school...

I would give USMLE step1 a shot if I were you and try to transfer to a good (SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, AUA, MUA) Carib school...

Failing COMLEX 3 times isn't a good prognostic indicator for doing well on the USMLE. I'd try to think of other careers you might find to be a good fit. You're obviously not dumb if you got through the first two years of school, but staying in a career that is so very big-stakes-exam based might not be the best fit.

Best of luck, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who is a Lotto winner.

Your anecdote and mine have about the same rate of success.

I know someone who was dismissed from NSU-COM and then went to ROSS; he is an IM doc now. Obviously, things are different now than they were 5-6 years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
I know someone who is a Lotto winner.

Your anecdote and mine have about the same rate of success.

I completely agree with you and I know the chances of success in medicine is slim. That is the main reason why I am looking into other careers. However, there has been many PM's that I have received and I could tell you that there are many students due to extenuating circumstances that have been matched successfully after multiple failures and dismissal due to academic reasons. I personally don't know anyone who won the lottery but I do know a few people that actually matched last year that failed multiple attempts and transferred out. So whoever is reading this thread and doesn't want to give up, it is possible but do it at your own risk. I'm currently looking at the pros and cons and going from there. To update you all, a few osteopathic schools are currently looking at my case and I already had offers to a few Caribbean schools (1 good one, others were not so) that agreed to "enhance my standardized test taking skills". I will not rush into anything since I am currently undergoing therapy. (Don't tell me not to pursue anything because I haven't agreed nor accepted anything). I feel much better and it's amazing how much help you can get during rough times. Whoever is in my place, please go out and look for help (psychologists, therapists and there are some good psychiatrists out there).

Reactions: 9 users
I truly appreciate your time and suggestions. I will not make any quick decisions. I don't want the "easiest" route. I am still in my 20's and will consider anything that I truly enjoy. I will first make sure I am 100% fit and ready. And will get as much information as possible to analyze the advantages and disadvantages. I'm starting from scratch but I need to move forward. Pls if anyone is reading this and is in my shoes, get help and we could do this. A lot of great advice from this chat. I hopefully believe I will make it, and possibly help others as well.
Just to give my 2 cents and help the OP anyway I can, be aware of the caveats when trying to do PA and or NP.
It is not necessarily easy to get into an NP program or even practice as an NP after you get the family/adult/psych/womens health degrees. Current BSN here accepted into medical so I know a little about that. I got into medical school (DO) and not even interviewed for NP and 4 PA programs I applied to. PA programs are arguably harder to get into than DO programs.
Nursing BSN is probably the best choice for you at this point, try a state school while your at it in the place your at to have low expenses.
Hey look you probably are telling me 'ew' or 'gross,' but look i'm a nurse and I had to get my BSN after I was kicked out of the previous program I was in. We got to man up sometimes and take whatever we are given. Try a 1 year accelerated RN program, but believe me those are tough.

Sometimes life happens, and you know what you gotta make the most of it. If I were you I would probably start somewhere fresh, free from the medical field, maybe you have a calling for something else. I don't think its right to judge the OP, life happens, I didnt get a unprofessional vibe, this is a safe zone, and we are free to interact the way we please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give my 2 cents and help the OP anyway I can, be aware of the caveats when trying to do PA and or NP.
It is not necessarily easy to get into an NP program or even practice as an NP after you get the family/adult/psych/womens health degrees. Current BSN here accepted into medical so I know a little about that. I got into medical school (DO) and not even interviewed for NP and 4 PA programs I applied to. PA programs are arguably harder to get into than DO programs.
Nursing BSN is probably the best choice for you at this point, try a state school while your at it in the place your at to have low expenses.
Hey look you probably are telling me 'ew' or 'gross,' but look i'm a nurse and I had to get my BSN after I was kicked out of the previous program I was in. We got to man up sometimes and take whatever we are given. Try a 1 year accelerated RN program, but believe me those are tough.
Dude WTF are you talking about? PA school is definitely not harder to get in than DO.

Dude WTF are you talking about? PA school is definitely not harder to get in than DO.
Depends on your definition of harder. GPA is not as forgiving. Typically requires extensive clinical experience. The MCAT is most definitely harder than the GRE though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

In MY experience (and let me bold my) I didn't even get interviews to PA programs but I got interviewed at DO programs. The applicants applying to PA programs had more experience than me as the applicants tended to be older people with family. Most o them had like 5 -10 years and did a **** load of stuff.
For DO programs they didn't kare as much, they cared mainly about grades, MCAT, and knowledge of the osteopathic philosophy.

Depends on your definition of harder. GPA is not as forgiving. Typically requires extensive clinical experience. The MCAT is most definitely harder than the GRE though.

I agree the MCAT is harder than the GRE. Why I was saying PA school is harder to get into than DO in certain aspects is that despite how good your GPA might people, experience is equally as important. Even if you had a 3.7 science and overall gpa, you might not get in if you have less than 1-2 years of (paid) good experience. I was told that even people with lower gpas than me got in because they had a lot more experience.

I appreciate all of your responses. I don't think there is an "easier" route to get accepted into. Of course there are impossible ones such as transferring to an allopathic US program or even a DO. However, PA, NP, POD, PharmD and other programs are not going to be any easier. I have to reflect before I act and make sure I am fully prepared and fit. I am taking the next few months off and spending it with my family while continuing to undergo therapy. I am in contact with several professional councilors asking general questions. There is nothing wrong about obtaining information before you make a decision. All of your suggestions make a lot of sense and whether or not DO vs PA is more competitive isn't really my concern lol. But it is entertaining! Thank y'all once again.

Forget Caribbean!

Focus on either:

1) Pod school
or
2) BSN then NP or CRNA

Good luck!
I mean thats good advice. Def. pod as they tend to have lower gpa requires, I think the highest is NYCPM at a 3.4 -3.3? Didn't check the recent ones but it shouldn't be more than that..

About the BSN, thats always an option, at least you'll be making a decent 55-75k (possibly more depending on the hours and specialty you are in). I always tell people that don't have professional degrees but only premed degrees that were rejected from the respective programs they were applying to, to consider RN. Look might not be the most glamorous profession I admit, but it might be the best option for people who are unsuccessful in their previous goals.
NP and CRNA certainly are available if you do the RN, but believe me, you need decent experience to be admitted to an NP program or even for someone to hire you. CRNA you need a min. of 1 year of critical care/ICU experience and that requires med surg RN experience, making it 2-3 year experience requirement to even be considered for CRNA school. Plus CRNA school isn't easy to get into, you need good science, nursing, and overall grades (not to scare you), but it is reality. Everyone is aware of how well CRNA pays, its prestige, thus attracting the best nurses from all over.

I appreciate all of your responses. I don't think there is an "easier" route to get accepted into. Of course there are impossible ones such as transferring to an allopathic US program or even a DO. However, PA, NP, POD, PharmD and other programs are not going to be any easier. I have to reflect before I act and make sure I am fully prepared and fit. I am taking the next few months off and spending it with my family while continuing to undergo therapy. I am in contact with several professional councilors asking general questions. There is nothing wrong about obtaining information before you make a decision. All of your suggestions make a lot of sense and whether or not DO vs PA is more competitive isn't really my concern lol. But it is entertaining! Thank y'all once again.
GL man. as someone who struggled before and knows what you are going through it . But never give up!

Reactions: 3 users

I'm not here to say I'm right or you're wrong, but I do know that the acceptance rate for NP schools are only lowered by the amount of applicants being drawn to them. NPs have been glamorized and there are NP schools being opened up everywhere. PA schools are "harder" for pre-meds to get into because Med school and PA school ask for different pre-reqs in that PA schools look for clinically experienced applicants who know what it's like to be in healthcare. Medical schools look for students who have put in time at hospitals, the community, academicially, etc. it's all around more difficult to apply to medical school if you're comparing two separate students on track for PA and med School respectively. The applicant pool is so large for PA schools as well.

Not sure what you mean by this. AACOMAS changed their rules to no longer accept grade replacement and the competitive GPAs for medical school are >3.6 normally. They also take into account Science GPA and PA schools run application cycles 2x per year.
I mean thats good advice. Def. pod as they tend to have lower gpa requires, I think the highest is NYCPM at a 3.4 -3.3? Didn't check the recent ones but it shouldn't be more than that..

About the BSN, thats always an option, at least you'll be making a decent 55-75k (possibly more depending on the hours and specialty you are in). I always tell people that don't have professional degrees but only premed degrees that were rejected from the respective programs they were applying to, to consider RN. Look might not be the most glamorous profession I admit, but it might be the best option for people who are unsuccessful in their previous goals.
NP and CRNA certainly are available if you do the RN, but believe me, you need decent experience to be admitted to an NP program or even for someone to hire you. CRNA you need a min. of 1 year of critical care/ICU experience and that requires med surg RN experience, making it 2-3 year experience requirement to even be considered for CRNA school. Plus CRNA school isn't easy to get into, you need good science, nursing, and overall grades (not to scare you), but it is reality. Everyone is aware of how well CRNA pays, its prestige, thus attracting the best nurses from all over.

CRNA requires 2 years of critical care, also, they are expanding nationwide so the classes are a little bigger and the competitiveness is drawn down just a touch. I have a CRNA in the family and when he was in school for it 40 years ago they only took 6 students a year. They have dramatically cut CRNA pay compared to what they used to make (according to what he makes and what the national average States). You don't NEED med surge to get into CRNA, not unless it's just one specific program that requires it. If I were the OP I would not pursue a BSN in hopes of getting into CRNA, because the chances are somewhat slim. I'd go PA or DPT if not Caribbean like stated earlier.

@O_Cowboy_SU Was referring directly to the comment about admittance to DO schools vs. PA. DO is somewhere around 3.4 now and this may drop with removal of grade replacement (conjecture). PA is around 3.5

/Similar/ pre-reqs requirements,. MCAT vs GRE and more heavily emphasized work experience for PA makes more fuzzy than simply saying DO school is harder.

@O_Cowboy_SU Was referring directly to the comment about admittance to DO schools vs. PA. DO is somewhere around 3.4 now and this may drop with removal of grade replacement (conjecture). PA is around 3.5

/Similar/ pre-reqs requirements,. MCAT vs GRE and more heavily emphasized work experience for PA makes more fuzzy than simply saying DO school is harder.

There are quite a few newer schools out there that bring down the average GPA for DO schools. There are ~33 (according to AACOMAS http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/us-coms) With only 33 DO schools and ~4-5 being pretty much brand new, you are going to see these trends. The good DO schools have averages of >3.6 and science GPAs even higher. CASPA statistics show science gpas being <3.2 and mean cGPA being 3.47-3.6. The MCAT > GRE without a doubt. However, this is comparing apples to oranges with some respect. DO students are pre-med students who are building a profile to apply to both MD and DO schools across the nation. Most people who apply PA have been preparing for that specific degree since undergrad and therefore are more competitive when applying. You can take a stellar medical school applicant and place them in the CASPA pool and they may receive several MD invites but 0 PA invites and this is because PA schools look for different things and they HEAVILY emphasize clinical (PAID) experience. Some even have a required amount of hours one must attain in clinical health before they can even apply. Medical schools look for quality hours all around in clinical (paid and non-paid), volunteer, research, leadership, etc. A competitive medical school applicant is not assumed to be a competitive PA applicant, and vice versa. My school has an average GPA of 3.6 and average sGPA of >3.6. I may not be in the majority when saying this, but I truly believe the DO average GPA will still trend upward. More and more people are applying to medical school each year and with proper knowledge people can better prepare themselves for the application. Not to mention, schools do not have to suffer because grade replacement goes away, they reject a GREAT majority of applicants with stellar statistics every year as it is.

TLDR; PA and DO schools are like comparing apples to oranges. They look for different areas of relativity.

In 2016 the mean sGPA for DO matriculants was 3.5 and the mean cGPA was 3.56. Even if you exclude post-bac/grad coursework, its sGPA 3.45 and cGPA 3.54.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...nt-amp-matriculant-profile-summary-report.pdf

That said, OP was dismissed from a DO school. Getting PA after that is difficult. If they applied PA right away (didn't go DO first) it might be a different story.

Thank you very much zeroO. I personally know a few pharmacy students that have gone thru my experience and some individuals that had it worse (dismissed due to unprofessional events). So I do know it's possible. I am keeping my options open and staying positive. Thank you very much for your time.
Have you looked into optometry? I feel like this could be a viable route to stay in healthcare, be able to pay back your loans, and I'm not sure but they may let you transfer credits.

In 2016 the mean sGPA for DO matriculants was 3.5 and the mean cGPA was 3.56. Even if you exclude post-bac/grad coursework, its sGPA 3.45 and cGPA 3.54.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...nt-amp-matriculant-profile-summary-report.pdf

That said, OP was dismissed from a DO school. Getting PA after that is difficult. If they applied PA right away (didn't go DO first) it might be a different story.
Yeah, I agree with you there 100%. However, I wonder how they would view someone who was dropped because they couldn't pass the COMLEX? He successfully passed the first two years of medical school which is arguably more rigorous than PA school ( idk yet, I'm not in medical school until August). If he got dismissed because of grades then I would be 100% against the PA route, but PAs take a totally different, less intense licensing exam. Just makes me curious to see how they would view an applicant of this nature.

No program would view my application in a positive way. But that doesn't mean my life is over. There is nothing wrong to apply and see what gets me going. But I agree, school work has never been an issue. Clinical rotations were extremely enjoyable and I had no issues as well. It was only my boards exam and I take full responsibility. I had a lot of issues going on and I couldn't focus. I tried my best and even went to seek help which at the time said I had no issues. After all of this, I do have a diagnosis and currently being treated for it. I could sleep at night and enjoy the majority of the day. I have no regrets since I can't go back in time. I wish it turned out differently but I just have to keep going. Thank you all for this I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 8 users
No program would view my application in a positive way. But that doesn't mean my life is over. There is nothing wrong to apply and see what gets me going. But I agree, school work has never been an issue. Clinical rotations were extremely enjoyable and I had no issues as well. It was only my boards exam and I take full responsibility. I had a lot of issues going on and I couldn't focus. I tried my best and even went to seek help which at the time said I had no issues. After all of this, I do have a diagnosis and currently being treated for it. I could sleep at night and enjoy the majority of the day. I have no regrets since I can't go back in time. I wish it turned out differently but I just have to keep going. Thank you all for this I really appreciate it.

You might also take a look at this website if you decide to enroll in a Caribbean school - www.boardsready.com.

You might also take a look at this website if you decide to enroll in a Caribbean school - www.boardsready.com.

I will definitely not study the usual way. I would have to invest in the preparation for the usmle if I decide to go thru the Caribbean route. I wouldn't even sign a contract to attend the Caribbean school unless I see an improvement on my scores following my therapy now days.

I'm not here to say I'm right or you're wrong, but I do know that the acceptance rate for NP schools are only lowered by the amount of applicants being drawn to them. NPs have been glamorized and there are NP schools being opened up everywhere. PA schools are "harder" for pre-meds to get into because Med school and PA school ask for different pre-reqs in that PA schools look for clinically experienced applicants who know what it's like to be in healthcare. Medical schools look for students who have put in time at hospitals, the community, academicially, etc. it's all around more difficult to apply to medical school if you're comparing two separate students on track for PA and med School respectively. The applicant pool is so large for PA schools as well.

Not sure what you mean by this. AACOMAS changed their rules to no longer accept grade replacement and the competitive GPAs for medical school are >3.6 normally. They also take into account Science GPA and PA schools run application cycles 2x per year.

CRNA requires 2 years of critical care, also, they are expanding nationwide so the classes are a little bigger and the competitiveness is drawn down just a touch. I have a CRNA in the family and when he was in school for it 40 years ago they only took 6 students a year. They have dramatically cut CRNA pay compared to what they used to make (according to what he makes and what the national average States). You don't NEED med surge to get into CRNA, not unless it's just one specific program that requires it. If I were the OP I would not pursue a BSN in hopes of getting into CRNA, because the chances are somewhat slim. I'd go PA or DPT if not Caribbean like stated earlier.
Yeah.
Well I meant you need med surg experience to get a critical care job so you can get the ICU/Critical care experience. Usually most places don't let a new nurse or a nurse w/o 1-2 years of med surg experience to get a ICU job, theres just a big learning curve going from fresh RN to ICU. I highly doubt any reputable place that cares about their patients or their reputation to hire a new nurse unless they have MASSIVE help, a long orientation, and guidance along the way.

NPS are glamorized they aren't bad professions at all, in fact I tried doing it, but I was so disgusted by the curricula. I mean their classes are suppose to 'supplement' RN experience. I guess that makes sense.
Tbh PA training is probably better to function as a practitioner because you are learning medicine while NPs learn advanced nursing. But I love where I am now and thats medicine.

Yeah, I agree with you there 100%. However, I wonder how they would view someone who was dropped because they couldn't pass the COMLEX? He successfully passed the first two years of medical school which is arguably more rigorous than PA school ( idk yet, I'm not in medical school until August). If he got dismissed because of grades then I would be 100% against the PA route, but PAs take a totally different, less intense licensing exam. Just makes me curious to see how they would view an applicant of this nature.
Probably not well though.... Getting dismissed is the worst thing to ever happen to you. I was dismissed from a previous program, a PA program actually, but it was the 1st year of a 4 year program, an accelerated BS program straight outta HS. As you know I was 17 when I entered and had a rough time in HS so I wasn't psychological ready or even mature yet. Flunked outta PA had to fight back into a RN program get my BSN, spend 2 years going post baccs, getting a post bacc certificate and then earning my spot into DO.

Honestly, I think you COULD get back into medical school or get admitted into a PA program (despite your dismissal from med school) if you did very well in the next couple semesters/years you spend, especially if you get like > 3.6 in a special post bacc or masters program in the hard sciences. The thing is have you learned from your mistakes and can you show the admissions committees that you can handle a rigorous PA program.

But as you probably know more than me, you already sustained debt probably from your previous 3-4 years of medical school, not sure whether they were public or private tuition (or even free if you received a scholarship or something of that nature).

I mean I'm not saying its impossible, but it is an uphill battle academically, psychologically, and of course, financially. Are you prepared to go through this tough journey again to get back into medical?

I mean if not its probably going to be the same amount of academic work to get into PA school.

PA school is super hard to get into nowadays since so many working people have lots of experience and its just so attractive with the 2-3 year time requirement and the average 90-110 k starting salary.

Nothing is impossible for you, PA, MD, DO, DMD, DPM DPT, LPN/RN/NP/DNP/DNS/PHD nursing/MS RN/CNA/MHP bull **** outta my ass nursing degree or whatever, you can DO ANYTHING. It just depends how hard you want to work.
Btw.. did you think bout PT? I have a cousin that had to leave PA school because of depression and easily got into PT school. Try looking at private schools that accept a wide number of students
PT isn't bad and probably more 'glamorous' and 'prestigious' than RN if you can't stand the ass wiping nurses do. So yeah, there are options.

Probably not well though.... Getting dismissed is the worst thing to ever happen to you. I was dismissed from a previous program, a PA program actually, but it was the 1st year of a 4 year program, an accelerated BS program straight outta HS. As you know I was 17 when I entered and had a rough time in HS so I wasn't psychological ready or even mature yet. Flunked outta PA had to fight back into a RN program get my BSN, spend 2 years going post baccs, getting a post bacc certificate and then earning my spot into DO.

Honestly, I think you COULD get back into medical school or get admitted into a PA program (despite your dismissal from med school) if you did very well in the next couple semesters/years you spend, especially if you get like > 3.6 in a special post bacc or masters program in the hard sciences. The thing is have you learned from your mistakes and can you show the admissions committees that you can handle a rigorous PA program.

But as you probably know more than me, you already sustained debt probably from your previous 3-4 years of medical school, not sure whether they were public or private tuition (or even free if you received a scholarship or something of that nature).

I mean I'm not saying its impossible, but it is an uphill battle academically, psychologically, and of course, financially. Are you prepared to go through this tough journey again to get back into medical?

I mean if not its probably going to be the same amount of academic work to get into PA school.

PA school is super hard to get into nowadays since so many working people have lots of experience and its just so attractive with the 2-3 year time requirement and the average 90-110 k starting salary.

Nothing is impossible for you, PA, MD, DO, DMD, DPM DPT, LPN/RN/NP/DNP/DNS/PHD nursing/MS RN/CNA/MHP bull **** outta my ass nursing degree or whatever, you can DO ANYTHING. It just depends how hard you want to work.
Btw.. did you think bout PT? I have a cousin that had to leave PA school because of depression and easily got into PT school. Try looking at private schools that accept a wide number of students
PT isn't bad and probably more 'glamorous' and 'prestigious' than RN if you can't stand the ass wiping nurses do. So yeah, there are options.

Thank you very much for your time! You're a true saint! I do believe I'd like to move on with life and would not consider starting from the beginning. I now my situation is horrible and will probably be on my mind for the rest of my life. I am planning to have a family and support them as much as I could. I disappointed my parents but they don't want anything but for me to live this life in happiness. I wouldn't believe this would've ever happened to me a few years ago, but it did. I won't give up and be depressed for the rest of my life. All I could do is to make sure I'm healthy and fit for the next journey. I will probably stop posting on this thread but if someone needs anything. Pls PM me.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your time! You're a true saint! I do believe I'd like to move on with life and would not consider starting from the beginning. I now my situation is horrible and will probably be on my mind for the rest of my life. I am planning to have a family and support them as much as I could. I disappointed my parents but they don't want anything but for me to live this life in happiness. I wouldn't believe this would've ever happened to me a few years ago, but it did. I won't give up and be depressed for the rest of my life. All I could do is to make sure I'm healthy and fit for the next journey. I will probably stop posting on this thread but if someone needs anything. Pls PM me.

OP- I am considering PA and pharmacy schools and apparently they are open to all applicants even if you have been dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons...

DO schools on the other hand do not accept any transfers if you failed out academically or got dismissed for disciplinary reasons...does anyone know if any school will accept transfers???

I called a couple DO schools and they said no they won't accept students not in good standing.....I called just a few but if there are any that accept transfers please let me know? Because I don't want to go through the risks of Caribbean with USMLE when I already passed COMLEX Level 1 and PE and just had 1 left...

I think my only options are PA or any other healthcare program provided you are honest in your application and interviews and then it's based on luck. You can work hard but in the end you need luck on your side too.

Last edited:
Sobering and motivational. Sorry this happened to you, and thank you for sharing it.

how is the COMLEX compared to USMLE?

not trying to discourage you, but i need to paint a picture here for realism.

You would have to pass USMLE 1,2CK/CS,3, rock rotations etc. Being a member of the UW badboy of science I can honestly tell you that it takes a lot of gunnin' and high means of strategy to crush USMLE. But if you believe in your ability and more importantly your will to continue pursue medicine, all the best.

how is the COMLEX compared to USMLE?

not trying to discourage you, but i need to paint a picture here for realism.

You would have to pass USMLE 1,2CK/CS,3, rock rotations etc. Being a member of the UW badboy of science I can honestly tell you that it takes a lot of gunnin' and high means of strategy to crush USMLE. But if you believe in your ability and more importantly your will to continue pursue medicine, all the best.

There is a difference taking the exam while you have conditions (mental, physical, emotional, etc) or not. If you are 100% capable of taking the exam healthy, I'd say give it a try. I on the other hand have been going thru issues and noticed myself getting better after seeking help. I personally know 3 of my friends that failed the comlex but passed the usmle. I don't know the reason but they retook the comlex and passed. The comlex for them was required by the school but 2 of them were Canadians and required the usmle to practice in Canada. I think if you passed and did well the first 2 years going through a rigorous program, You should be able to pass the comlex (only if you are healthy in every way).I wish I was treated along time ago, and I did seek help, but didn't see the right people I guess.

There is a difference taking the exam while you have conditions (mental, physical, emotional, etc) or not. If you are 100% capable of taking the exam healthy, I'd say give it a try. I on the other hand have been going thru issues and noticed myself getting better after seeking help. I personally know 3 of my friends that failed the comlex but passed the usmle. I don't know the reason but they retook the comlex and passed. The comlex for them was required by the school but 2 of them were Canadians and required the usmle to practice in Canada. I think if you passed and did well the first 2 years going through a rigorous program, You should be able to pass the comlex (only if you are healthy in every way).I wish I was treated along time ago, and I did seek help, but didn't see the right people I guess.
when were you dismissed? try appealing more rigorously?

when were you dismissed? try appealing more rigorously?

Appealed. Tried 3x. It's over and I completely take responsibility. I wish I could've slowed myself down and take a leave of absence. I wasn't feeling right and I went to get help, I just wish I took a full semester off to analyze my health. I felt guilty not spending my time studying even though I would get distracted or lose focus after about 2-3 hours studying. The past is done and I need to move forward.

Why am I reading this thread? I'm starting DO school in exactly 5 months and OP is already messing with my blood pressure :barf:

I got dismissed due to failing the COMLEX 1 after 3 attempts. I finished my first 2 years successfully. Finished a handful of rotations with great/perfect clinical grades.
Many months have past by, received therapy and counseling to make sure I am fit and ready for the next phase of my life.
I am open to any suggestions. I am still considering a career in the healthcare field.
I have a bachelors of science in biology and a masters in medical science with a combined 3.6 GPA.
I am considering Pharmacy school since I am volunteering/ shadowing and soon to be a tech. I Will likely apply To a program that doesn't require a PCat. Hopefully get into an accelerated program such as lecom and mass.
Another option would be to continue medicine in the Caribbean. I'd Just have to get the degree after 16 months of rotations. I have contacted a few low tier medical schools down there and they're willing to have the credits transferred. I know matching is low but there are many careers especially in the medical technology field that is growing. Any suggestions would help. Thank you all.

If you go to the Caribbean you will still have to take the USMLE and pass it. I don't know if you want to commit two more years if you were unable to pass the COMLEX. If I were you I would consider PA. You would probably excel bc you have the clinical knowledge already and would essentially be retaking an easier version.

Hi, I'm sorry I cannot offer insight on your situation, but I am a first year and am starting to realize that passing classes doesn't mean much for one's board scores. Do you know if this happens to a significant number of students? And would you mind telling me what school your went to? Thank you much.

Hi, I'm sorry I cannot offer insight on your situation, but I am a first year and am starting to realize that passing classes doesn't mean much for one's board scores. Do you know if this happens to a significant number of students? And would you mind telling me what school your went to? Thank you much.
Preclinical grades do effect boards. Those that barely pass are more likely to struggle on boards than those with all As

Preclinical grades do effect boards. Those that barely pass are more likely to struggle on boards than those with all As

They definitely do. I did below average on many courses but wasn't as low as barely passing. I have a medical issue that was diagnosed after a series of events that occurred. However, pre clinical grades do not matter as much as people think they do. I know students that were barely passing and matched today only applying to competitive Allopathic programs. It's all about boards score. I really don't care what anyone else says at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There's tons of published data from multiple medical schools that one's preclinical are the best predictor of Board scores. It's correct that PDs don't care about GPAs.

There's tons of published data from multiple medical schools that one's preclinical are the best predictor of Board scores. It's correct that PDs don't care about GPAs.

Well I wish those "published data" would work on my behave but it didn't. I did well above average on a handful of main courses such as renal and respiratory. Those data are just averages that should be precise but not a perfect indicator. Medical school preclinical is worthless without passing the boards.

What was your pre-clinical GPA????

Well I wish those "published data" would work on my behave but it didn't. I did well above average on a handful of main courses such as renal and respiratory. Those data are just averages that should be precise but not a perfect indicator. Medical school preclinical is worthless without passing the boards.