Dismissed... what's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted741311

Hi everyone,

I was dismissed from my DPT program after failing a practical in my Adult Neurorehab course. I had failed the same practical last year and was put on probation... meaning I took a whole year to retake some classes until I could take the Adult Neurorehab class again. Since this was the second time I had taken the course and failed the practical and remediation again, I was dismissed from my program. I had spent over 2 years in my program, but never made it to my longterm clinicals. I just applied to some DPT programs again because I still love PT, and I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm not sure what my chances are since I have already been dismissed from my program. I am also in the process of applying to MBA/MPH programs as back up, but most of these applications ask "Have you ever been dismissed from an academic institution?" I am also looking for PT tech jobs in the meantime while I have this off time, but just wonder who would take me (DPT program or PT clinics) knowing that I have been dismissed from PT school. It's even difficult telling my peers and friends about what happened to me. I have never been a bad student in my life, and I have worked very hard in PT school, though I struggled a lot. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are your finances? It may be time to cut your losses and move on to something else you're passionate about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any mitigating circumstances (e.g., depression, having to take care of very ill family members, etc) that would allow you to appeal? One of my classmates was flirting with dismissal but was able to get the decision reversed. I realize every case is unique, but do try to stay in the program. Other DPT schools may balk at accepting you when they see the dismissal.

I am sorry to hear you are in this situation. I cannot speak to if another PT program will admit you; however, I suspect you will need a good answer for why you had such difficulty with that particular class or practical (whether it is red flag recognition, compromising pt safety, not selecting appropriate rehab techniques or cues to facilitate the desired response/results, etc.) and how you plan to overcome that if given another chance in another program.
Best of luck to you.:luck:
Peace and God bless

I doubt I could get my situation appealed since I have been through the academic committee process twice and have been given more chances to remediate my practical. I just wonder if anyone else has ever been dismissed from a program, and whether they were able to either get into another school or find something else that they loved doing, and how to explain it to the admissions committee or job interviews what happened.

My parents have been supporting this whole time which I am very fortunate to have. I have already applied to some DPT programs because I still want to give it a shot. I would hate to have invested this much time and money to give up something I really want to do. However, I understand it will be difficult to convince another school to take me, which is why I am applying to MBA and MPH programs. However, I am not sure I am "passionate" about these fields, and I am not sure how these programs would take my dismissal as well. I just really need to go back to school because I don't think I can do much with a Bachelor's degree in Anthro.

I doubt I could get my situation appealed since I have been through the academic committee process twice and have been given more chances to remediate my practical. I just wonder if anyone else has ever been dismissed from a program, and whether they were able to either get into another school or find something else that they loved doing, and how to explain it to the admissions committee or job interviews what happened.

My parents have been supporting this whole time which I am very fortunate to have. I have already applied to some DPT programs because I still want to give it a shot. I would hate to have invested this much time and money to give up something I really want to do. However, I understand it will be difficult to convince another school to take me, which is why I am applying to MBA and MPH programs. However, I am not sure I am "passionate" about these fields, and I am not sure how these programs would take my dismissal as well. I just really need to go back to school because I don't think I can do much with a Bachelor's degree in Anthro.

Not every thing is for everybody. If you have failed twice then you are done with PT. There are plenty of other careers where you can help people. Look into things like PTA, US tech, X ray tech, PA, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I was dismissed from my DPT program after failing a practical in my Adult Neurorehab course. I had failed the same practical last year and was put on probation... meaning I took a whole year to retake some classes until I could take the Adult Neurorehab class again. Since this was the second time I had taken the course and failed the practical and remediation again, I was dismissed from my program. I had spent over 2 years in my program, but never made it to my longterm clinicals. I just applied to some DPT programs again because I still love PT, and I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm not sure what my chances are since I have already been dismissed from my program. I am also in the process of applying to MBA/MPH programs as back up, but most of these applications ask "Have you ever been dismissed from an academic institution?" I am also looking for PT tech jobs in the meantime while I have this off time, but just wonder who would take me (DPT program or PT clinics) knowing that I have been dismissed from PT school. It's even difficult telling my peers and friends about what happened to me. I have never been a bad student in my life, and I have worked very hard in PT school, though I struggled a lot. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Alright so I just have a few questions/concerns/comments. First off I'm curious how you failed the same class twice, do you think it was lack of preparation, anxiety, or what? When did this occur, last semester? Did you just now apply to DPT programs, as you know they are very competitive and is best to apply earlier rather than later and its getting rather late in the cycle.

How do you plan on dealing with the question any school looking at your application is going to ask....what happened and what are you going to do to be successful in a different program? Since you have to send all transcripts to programs they will know you were in another DPT program...I would personally worry more about them than the MBA/MPH asking why you were dismissed (you can say it obviously wasn't for you and you are trying to move on to something else etc). When you are asked these questions in interviews I would just be honest, that will help you and show the next program or job that you are moving on from it and trying to be better in what the next step of your life is.

I do have one other comment, you stated that your parents have been supportive throughout this and that is wonderful but you need to really think about trying to do this again because PT school is EXPENSIVE, you have already done 2+ years and if you were to get in somewhere that would be another 3 years...you're basically doing PT school x2 and if your parents are paying for that....well thats a conversation you and your family need to have but personally I dont think that is fair, and if you're the one taking out loans please factor that in, I understand doing what you love but you need to be somewhat responsible.

Best of luck.

Alright so I just have a few questions/concerns/comments. First off I'm curious how you failed the same class twice, do you think it was lack of preparation, anxiety, or what? When did this occur, last semester? Did you just now apply to DPT programs, as you know they are very competitive and is best to apply earlier rather than later and its getting rather late in the cycle.

How do you plan on dealing with the question any school looking at your application is going to ask....what happened and what are you going to do to be successful in a different program? Since you have to send all transcripts to programs they will know you were in another DPT program...I would personally worry more about them than the MBA/MPH asking why you were dismissed (you can say it obviously wasn't for you and you are trying to move on to something else etc). When you are asked these questions in interviews I would just be honest, that will help you and show the next program or job that you are moving on from it and trying to be better in what the next step of your life is.

I do have one other comment, you stated that your parents have been supportive throughout this and that is wonderful but you need to really think about trying to do this again because PT school is EXPENSIVE, you have already done 2+ years and if you were to get in somewhere that would be another 3 years...you're basically doing PT school x2 and if your parents are paying for that....well thats a conversation you and your family need to have but personally I dont think that is fair, and if you're the one taking out loans please factor that in, I understand doing what you love but you need to be somewhat responsible.

Best of luck.

These are all very valid questions and concerns, and questions that I have asked myself. I never would have thought I would fail the same class twice, and I passed all my written exams, I just really had trouble with this practical. Yes this occurred last semester and I did apply to these DPT programs just now just because I wanted another shot. I realize that it is at the end of the application cycle and it is a a very tough case to sell. The application asks "have you ever been dismissed from an academic institution" so I have no choice to reveal what happened and just try to say that this was a very defining moment in my life and I have learned from it. You are also right that it is very expensive.

At this point, I am ok with going into something else, but I literally have no experience or background in any other field, and it is tough to start from scratch after I have invested so much time and money. I really thought PT was a perfect career for me, but if it doesn't work out, I have to look for other options. Just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and what did they do in their situation.

PTA is inexpensive, short, and decent pay! Same field too. What about that?

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone, just wanted to let y'all know that I did get accepted to PT school and I will be starting up again in the fall. I also was accepted to some public health and business schools I applied to... but I really don't think I am passionate about those things. I recognize the time and money that I have to invest starting all over, but I think I am much more prepared going into school the second time around and I am hoping for the best. I'm very grateful that I was able to get accepted again so soon, without waiting for years and years to get a second shot.

Reactions: 27 users
Hello everyone, just wanted to let y'all know that I did get accepted to PT school and I will be starting up again in the fall. I also was accepted to some public health and business schools I applied to... but I really don't think I am passionate about those things. I recognize the time and money that I have to invest starting all over, but I think I am much more prepared going into school the second time around and I am hoping for the best. I'm very grateful that I was able to get accepted again so soon, without waiting for years and years to get a second shot.

Good luck to you. We wish you the best. Pop in once in a while and let us know how you're doing. Also, you may make a great resource for others on the forum.

Reactions: 3 users
You must have had great grades from undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, you did 2 years of PT school already, and now you are going back for 3 more?!?! That is a lot of money. I wish you the best of luck.

Where are you going? Maybe a different school will be just the difference you need to succeed. Good job, keep at it.

Congratulations! I can see your dedication to PT school and ultimately becoming a PT. Which program will you be attending? Perhaps, some of us can help you out with some information. Again, congratulations! Please give us updates periodically.

Congratulations! I can see your dedication to PT school and ultimately becoming a PT. Which program will you be attending? Perhaps, some of us can help you out with some information. Again, congratulations! Please give us updates periodically.

I will be going to the University of St. Augustine campus in Austin, TX

Reactions: 4 users
Are they taking any transfer credits? That will save you some $$$.

I have looked into it, but they are not letting me fill out a transfer credit request form until May. I'll keep y'all posted.

In regards to transfer credits... they said that you have to pay $75 per course you want reviewed, but it may or may not be approved.

Here is what they said:

It is the student’s responsibility to decide which courses and credits they wish to request transfer credit for. I encourage you to carefully compare your course syllabi and course description to USAHS’s course description (available at the University Catalog online).

The admissions staff/faculty cannot advise on what courses may be transferrable. That is what the $75 fee is for (per class)- the time that faculty and directors spend to do an in depth evaluation of the course content.

Be advised that it is very difficult to transfer credits. We do not want to discourage your right to do so, but you need to understand that in order for transfer credit to be approved, it must be identical in every way by covering all the same topics our equivalent course covers. This being said, every university’s curriculum is designed to build upon their own degree plan.

We only will transfer 15% of the total USA curriculum, but it is rare that both USA courses and other accredited universities have the same, identical course (ie- order of topics, course descriptions…), as we require it to be 100% identical.

Just comparing the curriculum of my previous program with USA's curriculum, I doubt that any of my previous courses are exactly the same, and I'm not sure I want to pay $75 per class for them to review each class and then reject it.

In regards to transfer credits... they said that you have to pay $75 per course you want reviewed, but it may or may not be approved.

Here is what they said:

It is the student’s responsibility to decide which courses and credits they wish to request transfer credit for. I encourage you to carefully compare your course syllabi and course description to USAHS’s course description (available at the University Catalog online).

The admissions staff/faculty cannot advise on what courses may be transferrable. That is what the $75 fee is for (per class)- the time that faculty and directors spend to do an in depth evaluation of the course content.

Be advised that it is very difficult to transfer credits. We do not want to discourage your right to do so, but you need to understand that in order for transfer credit to be approved, it must be identical in every way by covering all the same topics our equivalent course covers. This being said, every university’s curriculum is designed to build upon their own degree plan.

We only will transfer 15% of the total USA curriculum, but it is rare that both USA courses and other accredited universities have the same, identical course (ie- order of topics, course descriptions…), as we require it to be 100% identical.

Just comparing the curriculum of my previous program with USA's curriculum, I doubt that any of my previous courses are exactly the same, and I'm not sure I want to pay $75 per class for them to review each class and then reject it.

Sounds to me like they set you up for rejection. I highly doubt any course has the exact same ORDER of topics.

Sounds to me like they set you up for rejection. I highly doubt any course has the exact same ORDER of topics.

Yeah there is no way, kind of ridiculous they make it that strict.

Universe: Glad to hear you got accepted to another program, good luck to you. Oh and dont worry for even a second about job prospects when it comes to you being dismissed from a previous program, they probably wont even know and even if they do they likely wont care. Good luck to you.

Oh wow, congratulations. I could never fathom starting PT school all over again and incurring all that debt two fold. I also failed out after 2 years (without a second chance), but I'm cutting my losses and working full time until I decide on another career.

Congrats again. Good to know that there is hope even if you get dismissed.

Hello The Universe,
Question, and hopefully some advice. I was recently dismissed from my DPT program. It was due to a class in PT Mgmt of Integ. Disorders, or wound carel. My first semester I was struggling with kinesiology, but I mustered and worked hard and ended up with a B, and. The hard class I though that were going to kill me I ended up doing decent. I spoke to my professor afterwards and he was like well you tried it and you saw it was not for you, so move on to something else. His concern was me not passing the boards, but I said I failed wound care, a field where all PT's are saying we are not dealing with. Any how, one of my class mates mentioned St. Augustine. Id like to hear what you think? I want to apply to schools that are not participating with PTCAS, maybe I will have a chance of acceptance. I did fall and spring courses, then dismissed. Well please inform me when you have the time.

GOOD LUCK!!! hopefully you kill it this time around,

Can you drop into the class below you? Most schools offer that option for a 1 time failure. That would be your most efficient option at this point.

wow! congrats on getting into another school! youre so lucky they gave you another chance, are things going better for you this time around?

Hello The Universe,
Question, and hopefully some advice. I was recently dismissed from my DPT program. It was due to a class in PT Mgmt of Integ. Disorders, or wound carel. My first semester I was struggling with kinesiology, but I mustered and worked hard and ended up with a B, and. The hard class I though that were going to kill me I ended up doing decent. I spoke to my professor afterwards and he was like well you tried it and you saw it was not for you, so move on to something else. His concern was me not passing the boards, but I said I failed wound care, a field where all PT's are saying we are not dealing with. Any how, one of my class mates mentioned St. Augustine. Id like to hear what you think? I want to apply to schools that are not participating with PTCAS, maybe I will have a chance of acceptance. I did fall and spring courses, then dismissed. Well please inform me when you have the time.

GOOD LUCK!!! hopefully you kill it this time around,

I do wound care...

Reactions: 3 users
I was going to suggest St. Aug. If you fail a course there, you fall back one term and not an entire year.From what I saw, they were super lenient on their dismissal policy. My suspicion is that it is because it is a for profit school.

I do wound care...
I thought " Why are we learning this? I will never do wound care!" My first job involved wound care and wound vacs. You also as a PT should recognize basics when it comes to screening integumentary while in a hospital or skilled setting. Even in outpatient we had to refer someone out for an open incision with purulent drainage. My PTA came to me for advice on that patient.

Hi @ the Universe quick question for you would you mind shedding some light as to what you had put on your PTCAS application when they ask if you have ever been dismissed or placed on academic probation?

Congratulations!

Your passion is admirable. Im sure you will be successful this time.

I was going to suggest St. Aug. If you fail a course there, you fall back one term and not an entire year.From what I saw, they were super lenient on their dismissal policy. My suspicion is that it is because it is a for profit school.

I went to USA before they were bought out by Laureate and saw several classmates dismissed (I was almost one of them). Even at USA, if you can't hack it, they will dismiss you. Schools have an interest in maintaining a high graduation rate, whether they are for-profit or not.

Hello folks, I just graduated with my DPT this month. Currently studying for the January NPTE. USA's program was not easy but I actually did very well in it. It was a completely different experience for me and it really gave me more confidence in my abilities. Thanks for everyone's advice and support and happy holidays :)

Reactions: 22 users
Hello folks, I just graduated with my DPT this month. Currently studying for the January NPTE. USA's program was not easy but I actually did very well in it. It was a completely different experience for me and it really gave me more confidence in my abilities. Thanks for everyone's advice and support and happy holidays :)
Congrats! What a journey you had!!! :)

That is so awesome, congrats!! I am starting at USA Austin in September and couldn't be more excited!

Your post helped me have faith that I too would be given a second chance. I’m glad you didn’t listen to those who said “maybe it’s not meant for you, try something else.”

When you’re passionate about something and you didn’t succeed the first time it sucks to be told that. You fight and try again.

Anyways, I too have been dismissed my first semester from a DPT program last year. I was going through a lot emotionally and couldn’t keep up.

I applied to the same school and was placed on a waitlist for this year. I also applied to USA DPT St. Augustine campus starting May 2019 and was accepted!

You are an inspiration to me right now. I am entering the Appeal process for a similar situation that you experienced at your first school. Thanks for posting. Congratulations! I hope you passed the NPTE, too. :)

You are an inspiration to me right now. I am entering the Appeal process for a similar situation that you experienced at your first school. Thanks for posting. Congratulations! I hope you passed the NPTE, too. :)

Good luck!!

As a person that was dismissed and now back in PT school, never give up on your dream. This also goes out to people who have applied multiple times and still havent gotten in yet. I've had to deal with both of these issues and it really tests you. But don't just give in because you feel like a failure. Progress isn't a linear path. It doesn't matter where you feel like you should be. Don't fall for that mind trap because it will consume you.

Hi, I understand you are going to the USAHS in Austin, TX. I'm in a bind and was wondering what do you think about the probationary accreditation?

I was in a similar situation as well. Previously I was dismissed from my DPT Program over one practical. The professors at that school told me to switch my career path (had good grades in PT school, just unsuccessful on that practical). I emailed 100+ schools my story, and went through many interviews, phone calls etc and FINALLY got into another program. Never let failure get in the way of achieving your dream. The best thing I ever did was put the doubters bull**** behind me. When you explain to schools about getting back in, be transparent. Tell them the honest truth. The key is showing them "I have been shadowing clinics" or getting an aide job to further your knowledge. Just because one school does not see you as a fit to their program, does not mean to pick another career. Someone will listen to your story. Anybody reading this, never give up... this thread honestly gave me a perspective that other people go through the same thing as me and they overcame it too!

Reactions: 5 users
May you shed some light as to what was different from the two programs and what you believe set you up for success this time around? (i.e. Quarter vs Semester, smaller classes, etc.)

Hi, I understand you are going to the USAHS in Austin, TX. I'm in a bind and was wondering what do you think about the probationary accreditation?
I am also dying to know about their probationary accreditation progress.

I am also dying to know about their probationary accreditation progress.
I went to my interview and asked them about this also. They explained that CAPTE requires 2 PhDs per program. USA submitted paperwork for both flex DPT and traditional DPT altogether as one program and they had 2 PhDs leading this combination. CAPTE then denied and asked to split these into two separate programs, and USA need to have two more PhDs to lead the other program, no matter its Traditional or Flex. USA is now hiring a new PhD and one of the faculty is getting his/her PhD as well. They are sure to regain accreditation by September. That is what I knew and I would hear their decision about my interview this week.

Hello everyone, just wanted to let y'all know that I did get accepted to PT school and I will be starting up again in the fall. I also was accepted to some public health and business schools I applied to... but I really don't think I am passionate about those things. I recognize the time and money that I have to invest starting all over, but I think I am much more prepared going into school the second time around and I am hoping for the best. I'm very grateful that I was able to get accepted again so soon, without waiting for years and years to get a second shot
I am in the same situation. Was dismissed from PT school. Just wondering what you did to get accepted again?

I was in a similar situation as well. Previously I was dismissed from my DPT Program over one practical. The professors at that school told me to switch my career path (had good grades in PT school, just unsuccessful on that practical). I emailed 100+ schools my story, and went through many interviews, phone calls etc and FINALLY got into another program. Never let failure get in the way of achieving your dream. The best thing I ever did was put the doubters bull**** behind me. When you explain to schools about getting back in, be transparent. Tell them the honest truth. The key is showing them "I have been shadowing clinics" or getting an aide job to further your knowledge. Just because one school does not see you as a fit to their program, does not mean to pick another career. Someone will listen to your story. Anybody reading this, never give up... this thread honestly gave me a perspective that other people go through the same thing as me and they overcame it too!
This is great advice. I’m just curious, did you email the schools before applying? How did that work?

As a person that was dismissed and now back in PT school, never give up on your dream. This also goes out to people who have applied multiple times and still havent gotten in yet. I've had to deal with both of these issues and it really tests you. But don't just give in because you feel like a failure. Progress isn't a linear path. It doesn't matter where you feel like you should be. Don't fall for that mind trap because it will consume you.
Just curious what you did to get back in? I was dismissed from PT school recently and am trying to get back into another program. Thanks