Disqualification Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xborndaballx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In PTCAS there is a question which states....

Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or university for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation etc.

Truth be told, I was disqualified from my university 2 semesters after I started there my freshman year. After that had happened I enrolled into community college and received me A.A. and reapplied to my university and was accepted back for my junior year. My question is, after I explain myself in this PTCAS question, how negatively will PT schools view my application, will it hurt my chances drastically? Since my disqualification I had gotten Straight A's a semester and a few semesters where I had all A's and one B. Will they take this upward trend into consideration of the mistake I made when I was 18? Anyone have this issue and been accepted?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think an admissions committees decision will have a lot to do with how serious the situation was. Not sure what happened so I can't really chime in on that. I think the best you can do is use the explanation box they give you to explain about it (like why it happened). For example, if you were disqualified for really poor grades, and say someone really close to you passed away at that time, that could potentially have been a big reason for the poor grades. So just explain your side of it, and then maybe you can add how much you have changed since and how you have changed specifically.

Also, if you are invited to an interview, be prepared to talk about it at the interview because they might ask.

I was given 1 year probation for disorderly conduct at my university. All my apps have been in for 2week-month and I haven't received any rejections. 1 interview offer, and 1 given to admissions committee for final decision (no interview required @ Touro U.). I was scared all my PTCAS schools would easily reject me, considering my stats aren't golden, but now I don't think it's too big of a deal. There're a lot of factors to consider though. My 'explanation' of my disorderly conduct was put together well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was due to poor grades, I had been placed on probation after my 1st summer semester after my GPA fell below a 2.0 ( got a C and an F) then that fall I was supposed to maintain a 2.0 which I just missed due to getting a C and a C-. This lead to the disqualification. Ever since then my GPA has not dropped below a 3.0 and its been a uphill battle to get it to where it is today. I matured a lot from that mistake. Hopefully they take what I say into consideration.

There are definitely a lot of applicants whose grades were worse at the very beginning of college and then improved a lot from there. I think if you brought your GPA up a lot, that you still have a chance. You can also apply for schools that either have freshman forgiveness or just look at the last 45 to 60 credits GPA instead of overall. Definitely mention though how you have changed since that happened in the explanation box. As mentioned above, I think if you explain it well that you have a shot. Good luck!

why did you go back to the same school? if you attended another school after a fresh start you could have buried those old transcripts and no one would have known

why did you go back to the same school? if you attended another school after a fresh start you could have buried those old transcripts and no one would have known

That's a horrible idea. That would come back to bite you in the butt. It's not as easy to hide your academic record as you think, and if you did it successfully and then somehow the truth came out later, that would be grounds for dismissal.

Honestly, I think going back to the school you were disqualified from is a good thing, especially if you're doing well now. It shows that the school gave you a second chance, and that you took it and ran with it. It shows your growth.

That's a horrible idea. That would come back to bite you in the butt. It's not as easy to hide your academic record as you think, and if you did it successfully and then somehow the truth came out later, that would be grounds for dismissal.

Honestly, I think going back to the school you were disqualified from is a good thing, especially if you're doing well now. It shows that the school gave you a second chance, and that you took it and ran with it. It shows your growth.

Exactly. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) can't protect you. My university has a policy that they can share whatever they want with another school a student enrolls in or intends to enroll in WITHOUT consent. Horrible idea.

The grades are always reported to any school you apply to, they can see it under your records. I just have to explain myself :/