-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
distance learning organic chemistry
Started by BH07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be very very careful with this. Orgo is considered one of the most important core courses (even if its not explicitly stated) and I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone getting in without doing the lab.
I did an Orgo at UNE but the school to which I am applying will count it only for lecture. There was a virtual lab but it was pretty easy. The best part was clicking on the trash can to clear the workbench. Second best was running the experiment over and over because you could click on the clock to advance the time.
I had already done the lab in person at a uni (had to withdraw from the lecture but the lab was counted as a separate course).
UNE is $1200. I liked the prof a LOT though.
I'm doing Orgo 2 in person at a CC this spring. I love online coursework but I really feel Chem is one of those classes you have to have at least hybrid (with the lab at school) if not 100% in person.
I had already done the lab in person at a uni (had to withdraw from the lecture but the lab was counted as a separate course).
UNE is $1200. I liked the prof a LOT though.
I'm doing Orgo 2 in person at a CC this spring. I love online coursework but I really feel Chem is one of those classes you have to have at least hybrid (with the lab at school) if not 100% in person.
Thats just sad.🙁There was a virtual lab but it was pretty easy. The best part was clicking on the trash can to clear the workbench. Second best was running the experiment over and over because you could click on the clock to advance the time.
No kidding. Half the fun of Orgo Lab is waiting the two hours for a rxn to finish.
I don't understand how you can learn lab techniques in a virtual lab
I don't understand how you can learn lab techniques in a virtual lab
In HS we had the option to either do a live dissection of a frog or a virtual dissection. 90% of the class did virtual.No kidding. Half the fun of Orgo Lab is waiting the two hours for a rxn to finish.
I don't understand how you can learn lab techniques in a virtual lab

Wheres the fun in that. Click. Click. Click. Done.
Many schools don't accept online chemistry classes.
Not true--you have to ask and make sure you are explicit in how you will have the class apply toward your pre-requisites. For example I took the Orgo I and II classes at UNE, however for each school I applied to, I made SURE they would accept the pre-requisite. I took the labs in college (my college they did separate lab grades), so all I needed was the lecture portion of the class. If you take it at UNE, and only do the lecture portion of the class, they will adjust the cost of the class, and your grade will be calculated differently since you may only be taking the lecture portion of the class.
Just be sure to ask the schools you are applying too. I was working full-time and doing all kinds of stuff for my job where I had to travel, so it was not feasible for me to take the classes in person. You can do it if you apply yourself, and honestly I learned a lot and did really well on the chemistry portion of the PCAT--and we know that's SUPER important.
Just be sure to ask the schools you are applying too. I was working full-time and doing all kinds of stuff for my job where I had to travel, so it was not feasible for me to take the classes in person. You can do it if you apply yourself, and honestly I learned a lot and did really well on the chemistry portion of the PCAT--and we know that's SUPER important.
Many schools don't accept online chemistry classes.
Not true--you have to ask and make sure you are explicit in how you will have the class apply toward your pre-requisites. For example I took the Orgo I and II classes at UNE, however for each school I applied to, I made SURE they would accept the pre-requisite. I took the labs in college (my college they did separate lab grades), so all I needed was the lecture portion of the class. If you take it at UNE, and only do the lecture portion of the class, they will adjust the cost of the class, and your grade will be calculated differently since you may only be taking the lecture portion of the class.
Just be sure to ask the schools you are applying too. I was working full-time and doing all kinds of stuff for my job where I had to travel, so it was not feasible for me to take the classes in person. You can do it if you apply yourself, and honestly I learned a lot and did really well on the chemistry portion of the PCAT--and we know that's SUPER important.
You were obviously an exception because you took the labs at university and took an online lecture because of your job, which you explained to the schools...
But, for the most part, schools don't accept online lab sciences.
Thats just sad.🙁
Yeah I honestly feel like the lab was kind of pointless. It was done in a matter of minutes. It took me longer to walk from the parking lot to my in-person lab than doing the virtual lab start to finish.
BTW my in-person lab was at UNM - are you a UNM student now? Its been a while since I went there - I wonder what the Chem lab rooms are like now. They were kind of ancient when I was a student in the 90s.
No i'm transferring into UNM in the Spring or summer or next fall. I'm currently at CNM.Yeah I honestly feel like the lab was kind of pointless. It was done in a matter of minutes. It took me longer to walk from the parking lot to my in-person lab than doing the virtual lab start to finish.
BTW my in-person lab was at UNM - are you a UNM student now? Its been a while since I went there - I wonder what the Chem lab rooms are like now. They were kind of ancient when I was a student in the 90s.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I have lived in Albuquerque for 5 years now. I'm originally from Santa Fe. Some people don't realize how awesome New Mexico is. Im looking at you Delano.Loved UNM. Have fun there... I miss Albuquerque.

Yea I have lived in Albuquerque for 5 years now. I'm originally from Santa Fe. Some people don't realize how awesome New Mexico is. Im looking at you Delano.![]()
Ya I would love to live in that Monte Vista neighborhood just E of main campus.
Yea I have lived in Albuquerque for 5 years now. I'm originally from Santa Fe. Some people don't realize how awesome New Mexico is. Im looking at you Delano.![]()
I just knew my name was gonna be thrown into your comment as soon as the poster said they loved it there.


Oh you know me to well.😀I just knew my name was gonna be thrown into your comment as soon as the poster said they loved it there.![]()
I always have to throw you in there for fun.😎
Oh you know me to well.😀
I always have to throw you in there for fun.😎
Yea, so predictable.

I dont think that is a good thing.Yea, so predictable.![]()
Don't girls like spontanous? I could be doomed to die alone.
Oh woe is me.🙁
I dont think that is a good thing.
Don't girls like spontanous? I could be doomed to die alone.
Oh woe is me.🙁
Umm...

Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 5K