distance learning organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BH07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is trying to take an organic chemistry online due to some health reasons. Does anybody know any colleges that distance ochem for less than $1000. I know oregon state has one but he wanted one from a community college

Members don't see this ad.

How does one do o-chem labs through distance learning?

What about the labs? Does he have a plan for that?

Edit: Lol, same time post :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Be very very careful with this. Orgo is considered one of the most important core courses (even if its not explicitly stated) and I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone getting in without doing the lab.

I did an Orgo at UNE but the school to which I am applying will count it only for lecture. There was a virtual lab but it was pretty easy. The best part was clicking on the trash can to clear the workbench. Second best was running the experiment over and over because you could click on the clock to advance the time.

I had already done the lab in person at a uni (had to withdraw from the lecture but the lab was counted as a separate course).

UNE is $1200. I liked the prof a LOT though.

I'm doing Orgo 2 in person at a CC this spring. I love online coursework but I really feel Chem is one of those classes you have to have at least hybrid (with the lab at school) if not 100% in person.

There was a virtual lab but it was pretty easy. The best part was clicking on the trash can to clear the workbench. Second best was running the experiment over and over because you could click on the clock to advance the time.
Thats just sad.:(

No kidding. Half the fun of Orgo Lab is waiting the two hours for a rxn to finish.

I don't understand how you can learn lab techniques in a virtual lab

No kidding. Half the fun of Orgo Lab is waiting the two hours for a rxn to finish.

I don't understand how you can learn lab techniques in a virtual lab
In HS we had the option to either do a live dissection of a frog or a virtual dissection. 90% of the class did virtual.:wtf:
Wheres the fun in that. Click. Click. Click. Done.

Not true--you have to ask and make sure you are explicit in how you will have the class apply toward your pre-requisites. For example I took the Orgo I and II classes at UNE, however for each school I applied to, I made SURE they would accept the pre-requisite. I took the labs in college (my college they did separate lab grades), so all I needed was the lecture portion of the class. If you take it at UNE, and only do the lecture portion of the class, they will adjust the cost of the class, and your grade will be calculated differently since you may only be taking the lecture portion of the class.

Just be sure to ask the schools you are applying too. I was working full-time and doing all kinds of stuff for my job where I had to travel, so it was not feasible for me to take the classes in person. You can do it if you apply yourself, and honestly I learned a lot and did really well on the chemistry portion of the PCAT--and we know that's SUPER important.

Many schools don't accept online chemistry classes.

I've heard of plenty of schools that don't accept any online science classes due to the labs

Not true--you have to ask and make sure you are explicit in how you will have the class apply toward your pre-requisites. For example I took the Orgo I and II classes at UNE, however for each school I applied to, I made SURE they would accept the pre-requisite. I took the labs in college (my college they did separate lab grades), so all I needed was the lecture portion of the class. If you take it at UNE, and only do the lecture portion of the class, they will adjust the cost of the class, and your grade will be calculated differently since you may only be taking the lecture portion of the class.

Just be sure to ask the schools you are applying too. I was working full-time and doing all kinds of stuff for my job where I had to travel, so it was not feasible for me to take the classes in person. You can do it if you apply yourself, and honestly I learned a lot and did really well on the chemistry portion of the PCAT--and we know that's SUPER important.

You were obviously an exception because you took the labs at university and took an online lecture because of your job, which you explained to the schools...

But, for the most part, schools don't accept online lab sciences.

Thats just sad.:(

Yeah I honestly feel like the lab was kind of pointless. It was done in a matter of minutes. It took me longer to walk from the parking lot to my in-person lab than doing the virtual lab start to finish.

BTW my in-person lab was at UNM - are you a UNM student now? Its been a while since I went there - I wonder what the Chem lab rooms are like now. They were kind of ancient when I was a student in the 90s.

Yeah I honestly feel like the lab was kind of pointless. It was done in a matter of minutes. It took me longer to walk from the parking lot to my in-person lab than doing the virtual lab start to finish.

BTW my in-person lab was at UNM - are you a UNM student now? Its been a while since I went there - I wonder what the Chem lab rooms are like now. They were kind of ancient when I was a student in the 90s.
No i'm transferring into UNM in the Spring or summer or next fall. I'm currently at CNM.

Loved UNM. Have fun there... I miss Albuquerque.

Loved UNM. Have fun there... I miss Albuquerque.
Yea I have lived in Albuquerque for 5 years now. I'm originally from Santa Fe. Some people don't realize how awesome New Mexico is. Im looking at you Delano.:poke:

Yea I have lived in Albuquerque for 5 years now. I'm originally from Santa Fe. Some people don't realize how awesome New Mexico is. Im looking at you Delano.:poke:

Ya I would love to live in that Monte Vista neighborhood just E of main campus.