Diversity and Adversity statement ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So, I have my PS and Work/Activities section out of the way and my MCAT is finally done so I am begining to brainstorm to pre-write the common secondaries.

Diversity: I believe I already posted about this but just to confirm - How my experiences in the military have contributed to maturity, leadership, and cultural awareness and how all of those will tie to medicine.

Adversity: I had a child at 19, while in the reserves, with a full time job, and I was a landlord. Tried to go back to school while all of that was going on, didn’t do too hot for 2 quarters (about a 3.0 average, no science classes) dropped out of school for another 2 years to straighten out finances, arrange childcare, find a civilian job that I could set my own schedule, and sell the house I was a landlord for all while giving my all to the reserves (picked up several duties and got promoted to NCO) and returned to school with a 4.0 for the last 2 years (didn’t get out of reserves until 18 months into those 2 years back in school).

Do those adversity and diversity topics work?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the adversity one just make sure that you write it in a way expresses “I became a better person because of the struggle of teenage fatherhood” rather than “I became a better person despite the struggle of teenage fatherhood”.

There’s a very subtle, but important, difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the adversity one just make sure that you write it in a way expresses “I became a better person because of the struggle of teenage fatherhood” rather than “I became a better person despite the struggle of teenage fatherhood”.

Mind elaborating on why this matters? I have a different adversity that I'm going to talk about, but I think I am motivated "because" of and "despite" it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I mean, being a father has certainly made me a better person...but I don’t know how accurate it would be to say that having her so young contributed to medicine.

I mean, being a father has certainly made me a better person...but I don’t know how accurate it would be to say that having her so young contributed to medicine.
It doesn’t have to contribute to medicine. The struggles of being a teen parent who later returns to school and succeeds often leads to resilience, grit, and determination to make a better life for yourself and you child, as well as showing your child how to struggle and strive and come out successful in the end.

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn’t have to contribute to medicine. The struggles of being a teen parent who later returns to school and succeeds often leads to resilience, grit, and determination to make a better life for yourself and you child, as well as showing your child how to struggle and strive and come out successful in the end.
*copy paste* boom, adversity essay done lol

Thank you all for the feedback!