Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN,
As an East Asian, I'm struggling to to come up with an original and compelling diversity statement. If you can't simply play the multilingual, multicultural, and multi-culinary cards as an ORM, then what can I do that still involves my culture?
So far my best idea is talking about how I grew up in a culture that is skeptical of western medicine, some basic tenants of TCM (traditional Chinese medicine), and how it diversified my idea of medical therapy. Not many people in my family trust doctors, which is sometimes because they've had bad experiences in both the US and their home country. One of my aunts even opened a salon based on naturopathic "energy regulation" machines.
In my primary, the only place I indicate my culture is in that personal information check box form. I'm thinking that secondaries will be a good place to actually talk about being East Asian.
I don't believe in any of these chi-based treatments, but I know I have to keep an open mind for patients that do. If I write about this, can I hit all the diversity statement requirements without having an overdone topic?
My second best idea for diversity essays, based on goro's question "What makes you cool?", is my love for crafts and DIY or my humanities background, both of which I touched on in my primary.
Thank you 🙂
As an East Asian, I'm struggling to to come up with an original and compelling diversity statement. If you can't simply play the multilingual, multicultural, and multi-culinary cards as an ORM, then what can I do that still involves my culture?
So far my best idea is talking about how I grew up in a culture that is skeptical of western medicine, some basic tenants of TCM (traditional Chinese medicine), and how it diversified my idea of medical therapy. Not many people in my family trust doctors, which is sometimes because they've had bad experiences in both the US and their home country. One of my aunts even opened a salon based on naturopathic "energy regulation" machines.
In my primary, the only place I indicate my culture is in that personal information check box form. I'm thinking that secondaries will be a good place to actually talk about being East Asian.
I don't believe in any of these chi-based treatments, but I know I have to keep an open mind for patients that do. If I write about this, can I hit all the diversity statement requirements without having an overdone topic?
My second best idea for diversity essays, based on goro's question "What makes you cool?", is my love for crafts and DIY or my humanities background, both of which I touched on in my primary.
Thank you 🙂