Diversity Essay Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanDawg_4

Reaction score
Does this sound like a good idea for a diversity essay?
I want to talk about how I have diversity of experience, working with all different groups of people with different health problems or challenges.
Starting in 3rd grade, I was a peer-to-peer partner for a boy with autism, and later tutored a boy with down syndrome. I also babysat two brothers with autism in high school. In college, I joined a youth ministry and have been working with high school kids for the past 3 years. I also work as a CNA at a nursing home. Finally, my brother also has pretty severe bipolar with psychosis, and my mom has multiple sclerosis, so I was thinking I could talk about how I've worked with and helped lots of different people at largely different ages with different struggles, and what I've learned from them.

Members don't see this ad.

This kind of sounds like a 'greatest challenge'/'why medicine' essay that you are tweaking, which there is nothing wrong with! However, just make sure it is fully covering the topic from the diversity standpoint. By that I mean you really only talk about other people in your post and not how these events affected/changed you. If you allow the reader to see you internalize these experiences than you will not just show "diversity of experience" but instead be showcased as the diverse/unique individual you truly are.

Reactions: 1 user
Does this sound like a good idea for a diversity essay?

In college, I joined a youth ministry and have been working with high school kids for the past 3 years. I also work as a CNA at a nursing home.
A lot of people have sick family members. Fine for adversity, not diversity.

Either of the two above would be fine for me.

Reactions: 1 users