Diversity essay - Should I mention being LGBT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatever5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't really done any volunteering or work in the LGBT community since 2012, but I was wondering if I should bring up being part of the LGBT community in the diversity essay in order to show that I have a strong understanding of the health issues and stigma faced. At my current job in a healthcare setting, i've had gay patients request to work with me because they said they felt more comfortable and less judged. However, I don't want to sound like I'm using a minority status as a "Hey let me in!" when I'm not that involved in it.

Thoughts? I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I had friends who didn't and they regret it now. Lets say you apply and get discriminated against by the very people who you hoped would become your advocates and mentors. Knowing this, do you really want to go there now anyway?

Reactions: 15 users
I think that's one of those very nebulous "It's all in how you say it" moments. Your experiences working with the LGBT community and your understanding of its unique needs would probably add to your application. I would obviously not lead with the fact that you haven't worked with the community in a few years, but it sounds like you did work with them in the past. Address your successes and not your failings both in essays and interviews. (Have good, honest, answers prepared if asked to explain any failings.) However I will add the caveat that if you are not comfortable discussing your sexuality, don't feel you have to just because you feel it might give you a "minority status" edge. There is at least one earlier thread on here where people explained why they chose to mention or not mention their LGBT status and their reasoning behind that decision. Their words might help you clarify your own feelings.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely mention it imo. Med schools are recognizing more and more that they're failing to produce students who can address LGBT health issues. Many would def recognize you as an important contribution to the diversity of their school.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the replies, great advice.

As others have said, you should first and foremost determine if you are comfortable discussing your sexuality. If not, then don't do it. If so, then you certainly could.

There are many good ways and a few bad ways to discuss this issue. As others have said, you shouldn't make it seem like you should get in just for that reason, you should highlight how it actually makes you a better candidate. For example, if they ask how you contribute to diversity, you could explain how your experience as an LGBT individual makes you more sensitive to the issues these individuals face in the medical field, and you think it will be beneficial to the incoming class. If they ask about a clinical experience that was meaningful to you, you could discuss a time when an LGBT person requested that you be involved in his/her care. There are many good ways to talk about this, just make sure you are highlighting how your being LGBT would be beneficial to the medical field.

Reactions: 5 users
^^^ Agree with the above. Anecdotes are a helpful for your application to "show and not tell" the aspects of yourself which would make you an asset to the field of medicine.

"I'm gay!" = No

"I work at an STD testing clinic, where I find that patients can sometimes be uncomfortable talking about sex. Being an LGBT healthcare provider often makes other gay patients more comfortable and able to open up about their sexual history, allowing for better treatment and testing plans to be implemented." = Yes

Reactions: 11 users
^^^ Agree with the above. Anecdotes are a helpful for your application to "show and not tell" the aspects of yourself which would make you an asset to the field of medicine.
I was literally JUST going to say exactly what you did!

It's fair game.

But don't do it for LUCOM. Don't know about Loma Linda, MUCOM, or the Jesuit schools like SLU or Gtown!

So I haven't really done any volunteering or work in the LGBT community since 2012, but I was wondering if I should bring up being part of the LGBT community in the diversity essay in order to show that I have a strong understanding of the health issues and stigma faced. At my current job in a healthcare setting, i've had gay patients request to work with me because they said they felt more comfortable and less judged. However, I don't want to sound like I'm using a minority status as a "Hey let me in!" when I'm not that involved in it.

Reactions: 1 user
The AAMC recently published this article in their official journal (see link below). I'd venture to say that there are places that are actively looking to get on the LGBT diversity wagon --- and a few that actually have a question about this for *all* applicants (e.g. Yale). I think you should probably relate it to your career goals/ambitions/reasons for choosing a career in medicine when you mention it...but, in all honestly, LGBT diversity in medical school is important in just having an "LGBT" voice at the table when you're talking about any related issue during medical school. Even without any direct experience specifically caring for LGBT patients, your "experience" is being an LGBT person in America and knowing what that community is like and what those individuals face in their everyday life.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25650825

Reactions: 1 users
However, I don't want to sound like I'm using a minority status as a "Hey let me in!" when I'm not that involved in it.

don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care if you're LGBT/straight/orange/or a martian. Plenty of other docs feels the same way; and the fact that you haven't worked with the community in 3 years does give the impression that you're using the "Hey let me in!" approach.

^I disagree. The fact that OP identifies as LGBT is reason enough to discuss it in a diversity essay, regardless of whether or not he/she is currently working in the LGBT community.
But I also agree that it should be done correctly in the scope of how being LGBT could benefit the medical community (as most have already said).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LGBTQ applicants are considered URM at some schools (Northwestern is one of them).
This is coming from a heterosexual, white dude who's 6'3" and from a middle class family. I am the epitome of ORM.

No you're not, none of those things make one ORM. Especially not the height lol...

Being white definitely makes me ORM. So does being a male, so does being from a middle class family.

The height was a humble brag. #noregrets #noregretsabouthashtags

White is not ORM. It's not URM either. White matriculants are accurately proportionally represented throughout med schools in the USA. https://www.aamc.org/download/321474/data/factstable9.pdf

Most matriculants are from upper middle-class backgrounds.

Maybe males are ORM, but not signifcantly. 54-55% of applicants are male, 52-53% matriculants are male. https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstable1.pdf

Last edited:
Absolutely mention it. It is diversity of life experience they are looking for.

I didn't mention it and actually regret it. IMO it's an important part of your identity that is relevant to medicine, clearly you have anecdotes about patients and I would use that to frame your orientation as a worthwhile trait and not just "I'm different"

It's fair game.

But don't do it for LUCOM. Don't know about Loma Linda, MUCOM, or the Jesuit schools like SLU or Gtown!
As a gay man who has gay friends who are medical students, here is my .02.

Have no experience with LUCOM, but I don't doubt it.

Loma Linda pretty explicitly opposed homosexuality (whatever that means) until the past 5 years or so. As of today, they don't really say much on the matter; interpret that how you will. Personally, I think they are just trying to avoid a potential lawsuit. In my opinion, they won't kick you out of the school for liking the same sex. I wouldn't put it past them to weed you out during the interview process, probably for "immoral" behavior or some BS.

No experience with MUCOM, sorry.

All of the Gtown and SLU staff I have interacted with have been very welcoming and warm. Soft homophobia is usually easy to detect, and yes I am relatively "obvious." I'll update what it's like to live on Gtown's campus after I do their SMP!

The seventh day adventist church itself is outspoken against homosexuality.

The Jesuit schools should be fine. Jesuits are more....cerebral...than most Christians.

The seventh day adventist church itself is outspoken against homosexuality.

The Jesuit schools should be fine. Jesuits are more....cerebral...than most Christians.

Ditto, the Jesuits are usually pretty accepting when it comes to LGBT-related issues.

As to the OP, I mentioned being gay when I felt my sexuality was relevant. That included the diversity essay, discussing the perspective my sexuality and work with the LGBT community has given me (as others have said), and also some activities I took part in on my undergrad campus. Most schools with secondaries give you plenty of time to bring up things like this, so if you feel your sexuality has impacted your development into the person you are today and the future physician you will become (which I imagine it has), then bring it up!

Schools are starting to actively recruit LGBT students, some as recently as in the past 3 years. At most schools in liberal areas, this information can only help!

I did not mention that I was gay in my primary application (nor was there anything in my activities that would suggest such that I am), but I have mentioned it in a lot of my secondaries. I think the topic is more fitting there since a lot of the secondaries explicitly ask how you could contribute to the diversity of their school. I think you have to be very selective when choosing which schools to be out to. You seem to have some solid experience with the community. You can definitely manage this without it seeming like you're just looking for an easy way in.

@ZedsDed , I'm going to be attending Gtown's SMP this year too!

Reactions: 2 users
Another good reason to put it down is that some schools will automatically connect u with student LGBT group if accepted/ matriculated.

FWIW i have included it in my diversity essays as part of my life's experiences that have provided me with unique insights. The theme to my application is my work with underserved and stigmatized populations and so i talk about my personal experience with stigma and discrimination due to my identity as lgbt.

I plan on using this essay for the jesuit schools i am applying to as well. Jesuits are all about service to others without discrimination. Now if only the catholic church was as compassionate...

I mentioned it in my diversity apps whenever relevant. I highly recommend doing so. I think it strongly improved my chances at many schools (Vanderbilt, for example, considers lgbt applicants URM, and I got in there with a scholarship despite having two AWFUL interviews there).

Everyone at my future Jesuit school's orientation bent over backwards to clarify how accepting they are when my wife and I toured. So I don't think Jesuit schools would be a problem.

I think one of the most simple, but crucial ways LGBT experience is useful is in one of the most basic questions: "are you sexually active?" I go to a clinic now that, if you say yes, responds "men, women, both?" And that's that-- but it builds a more adequate background for the patient and let's them know they can be open about any sexual experiences/life experiences to their doctor.

Also I mentioned it in my PS and got plenty of interviews. I would say go for it as long as (like anything!) you have a solid reason for mentioning it.

I mentioned being transsexual in all four rounds. Not one of my better moves personally.

I know for a fact that several times it came up negatively. Had a DO school state they couldn't accept me because of being trans and the difficulties of OMM pairing. Had another also flat out state they could not accept someone who was openly LGBT. Had another interviewer lose his crap so badly that I raised holy hell at admissions about it. I applied to a few schools that consider LGBT URM, not a peep from them.

But that is about being trans. If I were simply gay, people might not have cared.

If I were LGBQT, I'd jump on that wagon with the fierceness of RuPaul. It's in the back of people's minds, it's relevant. Use every advantage you can get. You guys have to realize that life is not fair, and it's rare that you'll get "handouts". This seems like a no brainer.

I mentioned being transsexual in all four rounds. Not one of my better moves personally.

I know for a fact that several times it came up negatively. Had a DO school state they couldn't accept me because of being trans and the difficulties of OMM pairing. Had another also flat out state they could not accept someone who was openly LGBT. Had another interviewer lose his crap so badly that I raised holy hell at admissions about it. I applied to a few schools that consider LGBT URM, not a peep from them.

But that is about being trans. If I were simply gay, people might not have cared.
Pretty sure you can file a lawsuit. Please name the school if this is true. I'm also not sure what this has to do with OMM pairing because at my DO school we pair with opposite sexes all the time. I'm actually questioning the legitimacy of your story, as I can't imagine a school's administration being so stupidly incautious of perceived biases.

Last edited:
It's fair game.

Loma Linda is ABSOLUTELY opposed to openly LGBT students. Excerpt from their current student handbook: "All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

Or tl;dr you will be punished for any homosexual behavior.

Yup, these schools put aero through the wringer. i'm amazed he' still standing!

But he's going to be an MS1 very soon, so living well is the best revenge.

Pretty sure you can file a lawsuit. Please name the school if this is true. I'm also not sure what this has to do with OMM pairing because at my DO school we pair with opposite sexes all the time. I'm actually questioning the legitimacy of your story, as I can't imagine a school's administration being so stupidly incautious of perceived biases.

Loma Linda is ABSOLUTELY opposed to openly LGBT students. Excerpt from their current student handbook: "All forms of sexual expression and conduct between heterosexuals outside of marriage, or between homosexuals, are contrary to the ideals of the University and will result in disciplinary action."

Or tl;dr you will be punished for any homosexual behavior.

Whaaaaat! I didn't realize Loma Linda was that bad!

Can I just say that I've been following your post / journey for a while now and I am sooooo unbelievably excited and happy for you that you've gained acceptance to med school!! You are the definition of tenacity and I pray that some day if I ever face such challenge in anything in life, I can get back up and go at it again. Our community will gain an amazing physician :) congratulation!

GA PCOM. My first cycle. It's perfectly legal in Georgia, but thanks for implying I am lying, since I have no reason to do so. I've mentioned the schools by name several times in the however many years I've been on SDN. They told me they had to find my exact opposite which would have meant they would be forced to admit a mtf at the exact same level of transition.

The next school I mentioned was Mercer in my second cycle. First interviewer. Truthfully they gave me some BS this cycle too but I stopped caring one iota about them.

The next one I mentioned was MCG this cycle (round 4), my first interviewer. After being kicked out of his office and demanded a new interviewer. Admissions was VERY apologetic once I told Ms Holland everything the interviewer said. Never have I seen someone's eyes get that big. Ended up with a kick butt second interviewer who I actually knew as we'd spoken a few times and a third interviewer who if I were not married and gay-identified, I would have proposed to. I was accepted here.

GA PCOM. My first cycle. It's perfectly legal in Georgia, but thanks for implying I am lying, since I have no reason to do so. I've mentioned the schools by name several times in the however many years I've been on SDN. They told me they had to find my exact opposite which would have meant they would be forced to admit a mtf at the exact same level of transition.

The next school I mentioned was Mercer in my second cycle. First interviewer. Truthfully they gave me some BS this cycle too but I stopped caring one iota about them.

The next one I mentioned was MCG this cycle (round 4), my first interviewer. After being kicked out of his office and demanded a new interviewer. Admissions was VERY apologetic once I told Ms Holland everything the interviewer said. Never have I seen someone's eyes get that big. Ended up with a kick butt second interviewer who I actually knew as we'd spoken a few times and a third interviewer who if I were not married and gay-identified, I would have proposed to. I was accepted here.
Well, I didn't know this was legal. I'm embarrassed that this happened, and for doubting it. Excuse my ignorance, I let my cynicism slip for a minute.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

this is interesting. i've been playing around with the idea of mentioning that my biological father is trans and that led me to my involvement in volunteering at a trans clinic. maybe not such a good idea.

Yup, these schools put aero through the wringer. i'm amazed he' still standing!

But he's going to be an MS1 very soon, so living well is the best revenge.

Thank you, and I am amazed I am still standing. Still doesn't feel real and actually they started me early!

I was one of the 20 students selected to be in the Inaugural EMT class. If successful, all MCG students will be required to do it as part of a change to the curriculum. We get patient contact about three months earlier than the other M1s who cannot have any until white coat and we will already have a LOR waiting for us for residency. :)

Can I just say that I've been following your post / journey for a while now and I am sooooo unbelievably excited and happy for you that you've gained acceptance to med school!! You are the definition of tenacity and I pray that some day if I ever face such challenge in anything in life, I can get back up and go at it again. Our community will gain an amazing physician :) congratulation!

Thank you! I am looking forward to the actual start of this. I was already asked to help teach at the Equality Clinic by one of the attendings as they have never had a trans student before, but a third of our patients are transgender. In the EMT class, the teacher already joked that I was the overachiever.

Well, I didn't know this was legal. I'm embarrassed that this happened, and for doubting it. Excuse my ignorance, I let my cynicism slip for a minute.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Thank you for the apology.

I wish I were lying about my story or about the numbers. I really do. I know thousands of trans people, almost none of them are employed. I am incredibly wary of people knowing my status now.

Only 18 states prohibit discrimination on basis of gender identity, out of 50. We have a long way to go.

this is interesting. i've been playing around with the idea of mentioning that my biological father is trans and that led me to my involvement in volunteering at a trans clinic. maybe not such a good idea.

I would be careful for other reasons. I would consider outing someone as trans to potentially be a violation of HIPAA. Maybe just say a close relative?

I would be careful for other reasons. I would consider outing someone as trans to potentially be a violation of HIPAA. Maybe just say a close relative?

my father being trans has nothing to do with the trans clinic. she is not a patient there and it would be kind of hard to out someone who transitioned 25 years ago and has identified as female for 27 years.

my father being trans has nothing to do with the trans clinic. she is not a patient there and it would be kind of hard to out someone who transitioned 25 years ago and has identified as female for 27 years.

No I mean saying specifically "my father is trans," if she came to one of your functions and they know she is your parent, the adcomms now know some protected medical history about her. That is the point I am trying to make. We really should not be discussing our family member's medical history in a way that would make it easy to connect the dots.

When I was being HIPAA trained, I had a quiz question about releasing specific information about a hypothetical family member to people who don't need to know. I played it safe and answered that we couldn't do it, that was the correct answer. So now I am wary about giving out too much medical history of my family except to doctors.

No I mean saying specifically "my father is trans," if she came to one of your functions and they know she is your parent, the adcomms now know some protected medical history about her. That is the point I am trying to make. We really should not be discussing our family member's medical history in a way that would make it easy to connect the dots.

When I was being HIPAA trained, I had a quiz question about releasing specific information about a hypothetical family member to people who don't need to know. I played it safe and answered that we couldn't do it, that was the correct answer. So now I am wary about giving out too much medical history of my family except to doctors.

you being trans, im actually shocked that you consider gender identity "protected medical history." it is completely irrelevant since I haven't seen her in 20 years, I doubt she will be coming to any functions of mine. but thanks?

you being trans, im actually shocked that you consider gender identity "protected medical history." it is completely irrelevant since I haven't seen her in 20 years, I doubt she will be coming to any functions of mine. but thanks?

The topic recently came up between me and a very gay-friendly physician (UCSF educated after all:D). I was surprised when they referred to it as gender dysphoria. Unfortunately, medicine being the last bastion of conservatism in academia and DSM still lagging behind on their diagnostics recommendations, I would definitely avoid bringing up this topic. There is, however, a great need for practitioners to serve transgender individuals!

The topic recently came up between me and a very gay-friendly physician (UCSF educated after all:D). I was surprised when they referred to it as gender dysphoria. Unfortunately, medicine being the last bastion of conservatism in academia and DSM still lagging behind on their diagnostics recommendations, I would definitely avoid bringing up this topic. There is, however, a great need for practitioners to serve transgender individuals!

I think I will just be selective about which schools I share that information with. The state school here actually does clerkship at the trans clinic so I think they would be more understanding than others. I forget that where I live is kind of a bubble.

It's less that I consider gender identity itself protected medical information, but the fact I was born female *is* protected information as is my diagnosis of gender identity disorder as are my list of surgeries and hormones. While trans individuals frequently introduce each other by stating their status, they are sharing their own info. It is considered pretty rude to out people as trans in general. It just may also be illegal since its identifying health information you are sharing. The schools probably already know her name since you have to list parents on Amcas. Hence why I was saying don't specifically state the relationship. Being a little vague is better.

I was just giving you a heads up on it. What you do with the information is up to you.

It's the diversity essay, not the History of Service to Marginalized Communities essay. If you're LGBT, put it down. If you're LGBT with a history of service to the LGBT community, that's even better. It's still worth disclosing even if you don't. Let the adcom decide: they do not have a scoring rubric where being gay with a history of service gets you +25 points and being gay WITHOUT a history of service gets you -50 for pointless box-checking.

It's less that I consider gender identity itself protected medical information, but the fact I was born female *is* protected information as is my diagnosis of gender identity disorder as are my list of surgeries and hormones. While trans individuals frequently introduce each other by stating their status, they are sharing their own info. It is considered pretty rude to out people as trans in general. It just may also be illegal since its identifying health information you are sharing. The schools probably already know her name since you have to list parents on Amcas. Hence why I was saying don't specifically state the relationship. Being a little vague is better.

I was just giving you a heads up on it. What you do with the information is up to you.

regardless, HIPAA doesn't apply since I dont have access to their private medical history. it is no different than someone writing their PS about wanting to get into medicine because their had cancer.