Diversity Essay

Started by Pastamahn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pastamahn

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I touched on diversity fairly heavily in my personal statement because it was extremely important to me. My question is, and I'm sure not if it's a naive question, but I'm assuming I should try to come out with something different than what I stated in my PS?
 
So I touched on diversity fairly heavily in my personal statement because it was extremely important to me. My question is, and I'm sure not if it's a naive question, but I'm assuming I should try to come out with something different than what I stated in my PS?

Are you URM? If so, no worries. Say whatever you want. If you're illegal, that's even better.
 
Are you URM? If so, no worries. Say whatever you want. If you're illegal, that's even better.
Yeah I'm part URM, so I touched on a scholarship program I am a part of to talk about diversity in my PS. I just want to avoid restating too much info so it doesn't look like I have nothing else to say, although what I said in my PS is what most applies to diversity essays.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I'm part URM, so I touched on a scholarship program I am a part of to talk about diversity in my PS. I just want to avoid restating too much info so it doesn't look like I have nothing else to say, although what I said in my PS is what most applies to diversity essays.

I'd go softly on "part" URM. You're URM. You're not half pregnant. Unless growing up in a mixed family ethnicity impacted your perspectives, outlook.
 
Don't use the same words (don't cut & paste) but also assume that some reviewers may look at one section of the application and not the other. If your PS focused on a scholarship program then perhaps your diversity essay can focus on your parents and extended family and how knowing them and their values has influenced you and provided you with insights into the diversity of experiences in America.
 
"Diversity" for the essay purposes doesn't mean "ethnicity".

It means "what's interesting about you?" "What unique things do YOU bring to the table?"

What kinds of things can one bring to the table? I am trying to gauge the type of experiences schools feel will add to their class. This question comes up a lot and I never knew what I could say. I have the typical hospital volunteering and shadowing and I don't think my views are unique and would bring something to a class that others couldn't.
 
If you don't know yourself, what can I possibly tell you?

Alright, let's try this? What would your friends say are the three coolest things about you?

Anyone not able to answer this, just stop applying right now.

What kinds of things can one bring to the table? I am trying to gauge the type of experiences schools feel will add to their class. This question comes up a lot and I never knew what I could say. I have the typical hospital volunteering and shadowing and I don't think my views are unique and would bring something to a class that others couldn't.
 
If you don't know yourself, what can I possibly tell you?

Alright, let's try this? What would your friends say are the three coolest things about you?

Anyone not able to answer this, just stop applying right now.
Since when were friends a pre-req for med school? 🙁
 
What kinds of things can one bring to the table? I am trying to gauge the type of experiences schools feel will add to their class. This question comes up a lot and I never knew what I could say. I have the typical hospital volunteering and shadowing and I don't think my views are unique and would bring something to a class that others couldn't.

Are you an expert in something? Are you a participant in sports such that you are familiar with the equipment and things that commonly go wrong? Are you a foodie that knows the difference between a pupusas and poutine and has eaten both? Have you lived abroad for an extended period of time? Are you familiar with the teachings and customs of several different religious traditions? Even if you aren't a member of a religious minority, have you lived in close proximity to such a community such that you are familiar with their customs and taboos? Do you have experience with adoption or foster care (personally or through siblings)? Do you have experience as a member of the LGBT community or as an ally?

There are plenty of ways that you may bring "insider" information to the table as a medical student. If we took a random sample of 9 students and put you together as a team, what would your special knowledge be?
 
"Diversity" for the essay purposes doesn't mean "ethnicity".

It means "what's interesting about you?" "What unique things do YOU bring to the table?"
Yep, and I've toyed with different concepts I could talk about, but for me it really is easiest to talk about my scholarship program or family values that both involve my ethnicity because they have been very pivotal.
 
Yep, and I've toyed with different concepts I could talk about, but for me it really is easiest to talk about my scholarship program or family values that both involve my ethnicity because they have been very pivotal.

I didn't know that being half-pasta qualifies someone as URM
 
Are you an expert in something? Are you a participant in sports such that you are familiar with the equipment and things that commonly go wrong? Are you a foodie that knows the difference between a pupusas and poutine and has eaten both? Have you lived abroad for an extended period of time? Are you familiar with the teachings and customs of several different religious traditions? Even if you aren't a member of a religious minority, have you lived in close proximity to such a community such that you are familiar with their customs and taboos? Do you have experience with adoption or foster care (personally or through siblings)? Do you have experience as a member of the LGBT community or as an ally?

There are plenty of ways that you may bring "insider" information to the table as a medical student. If we took a random sample of 9 students and put you together as a team, what would your special knowledge be?

Is it okay to touch on LGBT topics? I'd be nervous that I might alienate ADCOM.
 
Is it okay to touch on LGBT topics? I'd be nervous that I might alienate ADCOM.

Some members of the adcom are gay. Virtually every clinician on the adcom treats patients to are LGBTQ. Why shouldn't we want our student body to reflect demographic diversity of all kinds?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So for part of this essay, would it be acceptable to write about my personality? Stay with me for a sec...I talk about how I use sarcastic humor to calm the students I teach when they get stressed and start lashing out at each other during the mass casualty scenarios I run; and also how I use it to put my patients at ease during the exams I perform (I do x-ray, MRI, US, and CT). The rest of the essay goes over enjoying teaching and my aspirations to be a clinical instructor and attending physician for whichever specialty I choose. I'm really just making sure I'm not thinking way too far outside the box. Thank you for any insight, and best of luck to everyone applying this cycle.
 
So for part of this essay, would it be acceptable to write about my personality? Stay with me for a sec...I talk about how I use sarcastic humor to calm the students I teach when they get stressed and start lashing out at each other during the mass casualty scenarios I run; and also how I use it to put my patients at ease during the exams I perform (I do x-ray, MRI, US, and CT). The rest of the essay goes over enjoying teaching and my aspirations to be a clinical instructor and attending physician for whichever specialty I choose. I'm really just making sure I'm not thinking way too far outside the box. Thank you for any insight, and best of luck to everyone applying this cycle.

I like the idea of talking about a particular trait that has helped you carry out tasks and whatnot. I'd spin the essay into something like, "humor can bring people together, can get people to listen, despite being very different individuals from diverse backgrounds." Idk if that's a stretch for the diversity prompt, but I'd love to read an essay that talked about how humor helped you connect with people who otherwise wouldn't have listened to you.
 
I like the idea of talking about a particular trait that has helped you carry out tasks and whatnot. I'd spin the essay into something like, "humor can bring people together, can get people to listen, despite being very different individuals from diverse backgrounds." Idk if that's a stretch for the diversity prompt, but I'd love to read an essay that talked about how humor helped you connect with people who otherwise wouldn't have listened to you.

Hey thank you for your quick response and insight. I like your idea of spinning it that way because essentially that's what happens because a good majority of my students are doctors or other providers. I mean why would any of them listen to a rad tech otherwise?
 
Hey thank you for your quick response and insight. I like your idea of spinning it that way because essentially that's what happens because a good majority of my students are doctors or other providers. I mean why would any of them listen to a rad tech otherwise?
Just be careful when talking about your position as a rad tech, especially in the context of you being a rad tech versus your students being doctors, etc. Focus more on the other differences you have, and not just the professional title difference.
 
As an African American Female this question is scary because I don't know if they want me to talk about my challenges as black female and how that make me stand out of if I talk as just me, because I see more than just my race and ethnicity. I could always use the easy essay of growing up in the hood, no mother around, brother in a gang, yada yada...but I don't like to dwell and I think there are better things to be said about me. What do you guys think?
 
As an African American Female this question is scary because I don't know if they want me to talk about my challenges as black female and how that make me stand out of if I talk as just me, because I see more than just my race and ethnicity. I could always use the easy essay of growing up in the hood, no mother around, brother in a gang, yada yada...but I don't like to dwell and I think there are better things to be said about me. What do you guys think?
I think it would be perfectly fine, if you have other items that you feel define you better. Go for it. They will already know your SES and race, if you completed them in the primary.