Diversity secondary essay idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

I'm a middle class white male with a very steady life so far so it has been difficult to come up with a diversity topic. I understand the question is just about what makes you unique and not your ethnicity, so I started thinking about my strengths. I had many leadership positions in college and am extremely enthusiastic about groupwork so I have a unique ability to bring people together. Would writing an essay about bringing leadership to the student body of X school be too abstract? I can also talk about my music, but in reality I feel like being a decent piano player doesn't offer much other than some entertainment at parties. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

XcH7JpV.jpg

Credit: @VitaminVater

Do you really think that leadership ability is considered diverse or unique amongst medical students?

Reactions: 5 users
Wellllll... no. The way I wrote about it, I brought in my experience with being homsechooled until I was 12 which gave me a unique take on teamwork and leadership. Still no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry those are horrible ideas. You should talk about how fortunate you were to grow up in a nice family and how you want to help others have access to the same healthcare as you. Or you could exaggerate something like how you were forced to get a part time job to pay for college.

Sorry those are horrible ideas. You should talk about how fortunate you were to grow up in a nice family and how you want to help others have access to the same healthcare as you. Or you could exaggerate something like how you were forced to get a part time job to pay for college.
That can't possibly be better. Or did I miss some sarcasm... doesn't wanting to help others also fit literally every MD applicant?

That can't possibly be better. Or did I miss some sarcasm... doesn't wanting to help others also fit literally every MD applicant?

**** you man. I'm trying to help your lousy application. Go ahead and write about your diversity leadership. That's a really great topic dude you are gonna be so competitive.

**** you man. I'm trying to help your lousy application. Go ahead and write about your diversity leadership. That's a really great topic dude you are gonna be so competitive.
Didn't mean to poke the bear, bud. I appreciate the help.

There is no need to be rude.

Reactions: 3 users
Having been home-schooled is somewhat unusual. There's stuff there --

Also, while I wouldn't suggest the 'leadership' direction, as that isn't diverse and is clearly self-promotion, I would suggest that being a really good student who truly enjoys group projects IS somewhat unusual. I suspect most top students hate group projects because their teammates often fall down on the job, don't pull their weight, do sub-par work, etc. So there's a way to spin your enjoying group work to be something unusual, if done with a sense a humor. At the same time, by explaining how you managed to enjoy it when most of your peers hated it, you'll be illustrating (not stating) that you were able to do it successfully, bringing out those leadership and teamwork skills. Again, your angle is that you're a bit of a a freak for actually liking group projects.

Having been home-schooled is somewhat unusual. There's stuff there --

Also, while I wouldn't suggest the 'leadership' direction, as that isn't diverse and is clearly self-promotion, I would suggest that being a really good student who truly enjoys group projects IS somewhat unusual. I suspect most top students hate group projects because their teammates often fall down on the job, don't pull their weight, do sub-par work, etc. So there's a way to spin your enjoying group work to be something unusual, if done with a sense a humor. At the same time, by explaining how you managed to enjoy it when most of your peers hated it, you'll be illustrating (not stating) that you were able to do it successfully, bringing out those leadership and teamwork skills. Again, your angle is that you're a bit of a a freak for actually liking group projects.
I wrote one that actually talks about that! I think I need to tweak it a bit more to focus on the teamwork rather than the leadership. Would you mind taking a look at what I've got now to see if I've got something?

I would def go with the home schooled direction and talk about how that affected your views/behavior compared to your peers (leadership styles being one of them)

I would def go with the home schooled direction and talk about how that affected your views/behavior compared to your peers (leadership styles being one of them)
I think I did a decent job of stating how this differentiates me from my peers. Would you mind taking a look at it?

I wrote one that actually talks about that! I think I need to tweak it a bit more to focus on the teamwork rather than the leadership. Would you mind taking a look at what I've got now to see if I've got something?

Happy to -- but have plans for tonight -- so tomorrow. PM me

I think I did a decent job of stating how this differentiates me from my peers. Would you mind taking a look at it?

I'm not an expert with diversity essays (writing my own was difficult enough haha) but sure I'll take a look at it. PM me.

I wasnt a bio major so I wrote about that.