Diversity topic advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greensam

Reaction score
Hi all, I got some feedback on my diversity essay and now I am really stuck. I wrote my essay about cooking (a huge passion of mine) and how I assumed the role of family chef, especially during a particularly difficult time for my family. I also try to mention how its helped me build relationships and is a sort of love language for me. Feedback basically includes that it doesn't really tie into me being a better physician, won't make a med school pick me over another applicant. I definitely think I focus too much on just describing my cooking but does anyone have any advice? I'm really stuck here. Also if you think its a terrible topic and I should try something else feel free to lmk lol

Members don't see this ad.

The schools are looking to admit a diverse class. You might not be unique (aside from fingerprints) in a class of 100 but if we break into small groups of 10, what group do you represent that might otherwise not have a voice at the table? What attribute do you have that might be present in less than 10% of the student body?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Here are some questions that may help you identify a more suitable topic: what experiences have you had that others might not have? What things do you care about, and have worked towards? What impact do you want to have and how have you made an impact so far? What could you spend hours talking about/doing without breaking a sweat? In what ways have you been of service to others? What privileges have you had that others may not have and how have you used it to serve others? He have your eyes been opened to the experiences of others? What can you do better than others around you?

Not all of the questions above will apply. The more specific you can get, the stronger your essay will be.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users