DIY Post-Bac and reinvention, where do I go from here?

Started by jassmit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jassmit

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been taking a combination of courses at my local CC and online (only because I’ve run out of advanced science classes to take at my Uni/CC). I work full time as a sterile processing technician so I’ve been taking 2 classes per semester.

Undergraduate GPA: 2.64 cgpa, 2.30 sgpa

Post-bac: 27 credits 4.0 cgpa 4.0 sgpa

Total combined: 2.88 cgpa, 2.64 sgpa

Courses taken in post-bac:
-Intro to surgical technology 3 credits (A)
-Principles of ethics 3 credits (A) (needed for my SPT certificate)
-Pathophysiology 4 credits (A)
-Genetics 4 credits (A)
-Organic Chemistry II 3 credits (A)
-Biochemistry 4 credits (A)
-Biostatistics 3 credits (A)
-Histology 3 credits (A)

Haven’t taken the MCAT yet, but I’m preparing to several months from now. What score should I aim for?

My ECs are pretty solid, but I plan on getting more shadowing hours as I’m lacking a little there.

My question is: where do I go from here? I feel like I’ve demonstrated that I can handle advanced science classes regardless of my poor undergrad performance, but my GPAs are still very low.

I know that reinventor’s uGPAs are hard to improve and that my GPA will never be very high, but is it good enough after a year of post-bac?

If not, do I extend my DIY post-bac another year? Take an SMP?

Thank you for any feedback!
 
15 credits for 3.0 cgpa and 37 for 3.0 sgpa
I think extending your post-bacc to hit 3.0 s/cgpa would be sufficient for academic reinvention for DO and a whole lot cheaper and less risk than a SMP, but I realize that'd be tough working full-time. If you were a full-time student, you could get that done in a couple terms/semesters. Obviously YMMV greatly depending on your MCAT score. For what it's worth, I did a 64-ish credit post-bacc to hit me over the 3.0 hump and I've had a moderate amount of love from DO schools this cycle. I worry that you'll be screened out from many programs with sub 3.0, despite the reinvention so far.