DIY Post Bacc Online, Retaking C- Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fignewton1

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a DIY post bacc through UCSD Extension, and I need to retake my C minuses in Gen Chem & O chem 1. I was hoping to take both of these online through the extension due to my work schedule, however, now I'm worried that schools will not accept these as fulfilling prereqs since the extension is technically an online program. I'm sorry if something of this sort has been asked before, just looking for any advice. I have MSAR and for the most part it seems the UCs are pretty lenient but I haven't checked all schools. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was doing my DIY PB - I had to take one of the classes as kind of combined online/in-class thing and no one asked any questions. As long as the course numbers are the same, I do not think anyone is going to care. Most schools care about the grade

If you are really worried, contact the programs that you are really interested in and find out directly if they care.

Good Luck

I'm currently doing a DIY post bacc through UCSD Extension, and I need to retake my C minuses in Gen Chem & O chem 1. I was hoping to take both of these online through the extension due to my work schedule, however, now I'm worried that schools will not accept these as fulfilling prereqs since the extension is technically an online program. I'm sorry if something of this sort has been asked before, just looking for any advice. I have MSAR and for the most part it seems the UCs are pretty lenient but I haven't checked all schools. Thanks in advance.

If you're doing all online for your postbac, you'll need to check the MSAR for every program you apply to about these credits. If the school does not accept online credits, don't apply there. I recall seeing a fair amount of schools that did not accept online credits, especially when those online credits were for prerequisites or lab courses, when I applied two years ago. I don't think it is safe to assume all schools are as lenient as the UCs, especially because I would expect state schools to be more forgiving of online/CC credits than private schools.

I think a bit more MSAR research is warranted before you make the decision. Look into the OOS schools you might apply to in addition to the UCs - California is so competitive that a lot of very qualified Californians end up being exported for their medical education. You don't want to be caught with a bunch of postbac credits that are only accepted by your state schools.

If the MSAR says something about the school accepting online credits on a "case by case basis", then shoot the school's admissions office an email to see if they'll accept your credits.

Reactions: 1 users