DIY Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatamIDOING!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently have an undergraduate sGPA of 2.8 and a grad sGPA of a 3.7 (did a hard masters in Bio). I got into a few post bacc hard science terminal masters programs but nothing like an SMP. So after talking with a few advisors and a few people on here I have decided that an informal DIY post bacc may be the best option. However I am at a loss, I retook a few classes while I was still an undergrad the following are what I did:

General Bio1 :B-
General Bio 2: C+

Chem 1: C+
Chem 2: first time was a C- and retake was a B

Orgo 1: first time was C- and retake was B+
Orgo 2: first time was a D and retake was a C+

Physics 1: B+
Physics 2: B+

I am thinking of doing more science courses at a local university to boast my gpa, the courses would be undergraduate neuroscience, emerging diseases, and comparative physiology. 13 credits with A would put me at a 3.0 sGPA and then maybe I can do an SMP. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake anything below a B personally and aim for an A.

Then I would calculate my GPA using the method the DO schools use (your grad GPA should help) and see if I could get into a DO school and skip the SMP.

So for a DIY post bac, do people generally retake prereq classes that they did poorly in? Or do they take upper level science courses to show that they can excel with their current situation?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So for a DIY post bac, do people generally retake prereq classes that they did poorly in? Or do they take upper level science courses to show that they can excel with their current situation?
For the DIY you need to take the pre-reqs you did poorly in FIRST. Look at DO grade replacement. Don't take upper level without fixing the lower level requirements.

For the DIY you need to take the pre-reqs you did poorly in FIRST. Look at DO grade replacement. Don't take upper level without fixing the lower level requirements.

^This makes the most sense.

Thanks for your input. That makes the most sense.

I just took what I didn't have before. It was going backward as I already had upper level courses.

I just took what I didn't have before. It was going backward as I already had upper level courses.

Thanks for your reply. Besides taking your prereqs class for your post bac, did you do anything else during the day or night?

Thanks for your reply. Besides taking your prereqs class for your post bac, did you do anything else during the day or night?

I worked a 60-80 hour a week job, raised a family, took the pre-reqs (and some other classes that looked "fun" but that were never offered at my undergrad), did the medical volunteer work, did non-medical volunteer work and shadowed. All at the same time period. I became an expert at time management.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked a 60-80 hour a week job, raised a family, took the pre-reqs (and some other classes that looked "fun" but that were never offered at my undergrad), did the medical volunteer work, did non-medical volunteer work and shadowed. All at the same time period. I became an expert at time management.

I applaud you for this. I was working >70-80 each week, but hours were all over the place, which made it tough to take courses. I think if you have essentially regular hours this is doable, though tough, especially given family obligations. This is why I gave up a good position in leadership outside the hospital. The hours were all over the place.

I applaud you for this. I was working >70-80 each week, but hours were all over the place, which made it tough to take courses. I think if you have essentially regular hours this is doable, though tough, especially given family obligations. This is why I gave up a good position in leadership outside the hospital. The hours were all over the place.

My hours were all over the place but partially by my own choice. I made the work arrangements around my classes and family which worked well for me. Had to prioritize.