This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macthelobster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

This is my first post here, so sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am a recent graduate from a Top 40 university, currently taking a year off before I apply next cycle. I have taken all my pre-reqs, however I didn't do so well, since I graduated with a 3.29 cgpa and a 3.1 sgpa. My gpa is definitely holding me back from MD programs, so I am going to be taking classes at Hunter College in NYC as a non-degree student for gpa repair. I plan on taking upper div science classes to make up for the lower grades in my pre-reqs.

I am here seeking advice on how to go about a DIY postbac for gpa enhancement. Hopefully others here have had similar experiences to mine and I was curious as to how they went about spending their year off. Would it be a terrible idea to quadruple science to boost my sgpa up? Thank you all in advance for the advice!

P.S. I have not taken the MCAT yet, have solid volunteering, shadowing, clinical research experience, LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

This is my first post here, so sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am a recent graduate from a Top 40 university, currently taking a year off before I apply next cycle. I have taken all my pre-reqs, however I didn't do so well, since I graduated with a 3.29 cgpa and a 3.1 sgpa. My gpa is definitely holding me back from MD programs, so I am going to be taking classes at Hunter College in NYC as a non-degree student for gpa repair. I plan on taking upper div science classes to make up for the lower grades in my pre-reqs.

I am here seeking advice on how to go about a DIY postbac for gpa enhancement. Hopefully others here have had similar experiences to mine and I was curious as to how they went about spending their year off. Would it be a terrible idea to quadruple science to boost my sgpa up? Thank you all in advance for the advice!

P.S. I have not taken the MCAT yet, have solid volunteering, shadowing, clinical research experience, LORs.
Take coursework that mimics a medical school curriculum, such as:
Anatomy
Physiology
Biochem
Biostats
Immunology
Med Micro
Neuroscience
Pathology
Cell Bio
Molecular Bio
Genetics