DMD but no BSc degree - ENT/Plastic residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Five Yang Yang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior medical student with DMD but no BSc degree. My primary goal is to get in OMFS residency and become a dual-degree maxillofacial surgeon, however there is a chance that I might consider ENT or Plastic as well. I would appreciate a lot if some ENT/Plastic residents or attendings can provide opinions for my case:

1. How would you view an applicant with DMD/MD degrees, but no BSc? Do you think he might be more competitive with a DMD degree, or less competitive (because he doesn't have a BSc)?

2. Do you think my background in dentistry might help me become a better ENT or plastic surgeon, or my DMD is a total waste of time if I end up going to ENT/plastic?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What's a bsc? If you're an md that should be all that matters. I don't think the dentist thing will help or hurt a lot. Are you in Europe? Trying to figure out the junior medical student statement

What's a bsc? If you're an md that should be all that matters. I don't think the dentist thing will help or hurt a lot. Are you in Europe? Trying to figure out the junior medical student statement

Sorry for being unclear: BSc = Bachelor of Science (like the undergrad before going to med/dental school).

I'm studying in Canadian medical school, I'm Canadian :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for being unclear: BSc = Bachelor of Science (like the undergrad before going to med/dental school).

I'm studying in Canadian medical school, I'm Canadian :)

1. No one will care what your degree from UG is. As far as I know residencies don't even look at anything from UG other than publications or other significantly notable achievements (military/peace core service, starting foundations, continued involvement in said groups into med school, etc).

2. Possibly? If you're able to utilize it to give yourself a stronger understanding of the underlying anatomy and physiology of the oral region it might. Chances are it's not going to make much of a difference in terms of your ability to actually perform surgery. However, it could be a great advertising point for attracting future patients as the general public typically knows less than nothing when it comes to actual medical care (and more letters behind your name clearly makes you a better doctor).

Last edited:
Corrected

Last edited:

Huh. I learn something new every day I guess. I don't know if things are the same as when these guys trained though - looks like they did 3 year ENT residencies.

I know plenty of OMFS people who do cosmetics and head and neck and such (they have their own fellowships for this), I'd just be surprised if someone went dental school -> ENT/integrated plastics residency.

Huh. I learn something new every day I guess. I don't know if things are the same as when these guys trained though - looks like they did 3 year ENT residencies.

I know plenty of OMFS people who do cosmetics and head and neck and such (they have their own fellowships for this), I'd just be surprised if someone went dental school -> ENT/integrated plastics residency.

The 3 ENTs all went to med school after dental school. The plastic guy didn't do med school, he did OMFS after dental school, and chose to subspecialize in cosmetics.

1. No one will care what your degree from UG is. As far as I know residencies don't even look at anything from UG other than publications or other significantly notable achievements (military/peace core service, starting foundations, continued involvement in said groups into med school, etc).

2. Possibly? If you're able to utilize it to give yourself a stronger understanding of the underlying anatomy and physiology of the oral region it might. Chances are it's not going to make much of a difference in terms of your ability to actually perform surgery. However, it could be a great advertising point for attracting future patients as the general public typically knows less than nothing when it comes to actual medical care (and more letters behind your name clearly makes you a better doctor).

Thanks for answering. It seems like if I go to ENT/plastic, my DMD won't have too much value.

Thanks for answering. It seems like if I go to ENT/plastic, my DMD won't have too much value.

You should probably ask people currently in ENT or plastics.

It probably depends on the type of practice you want to have. You could find ways to make your dental knowledge benefit your skills or practice.