Dmd/mph

Started by monifa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monifa

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone here in a DMD/MPH program? I am planning on attending UPENN School of Dental Medicine and I am really interested in getting a MPH. Is it difficult to get a MPH degree while in Dental School? My brother went to PENN MED and he got an MPH from Harvard but it only took him 5 yrs because he did his frist 3 yrs of med then he got his MPH and came back for his fourth yr after taking a year off of med school. Is it possible to take a year off in the middle of dental school to get a MPH or is that too difficult?
 
I dont think it would be much of a problem. Taking a year off in Dschool is a pain in the butt. As opposed to med school whose clerkships are more observation and learning, D school clinics are a lot more hands on, I mean you are functioning as a full fledged dentist. So, i guess taking a year off between D3&4 would not be the easiest thing you do for yourself. I would suggest that you look talk to them about some sort of a combined program. Also if you are planing to do GPR, you may be able to squeeze it during residency