Quantcast

DMD vs DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the DMD, you sound like you're an MD specializing in Dentistry but with a DDS you're a surgeon which is really really cool :rolleyes:

786mine

"Baby Bear"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's the same. Some universities choose to give you the latin degree DMD, and some choose to give you english degree DDS.

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nev said:
no difference at all

Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking. Practically, though, there's not too much difference. A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education (though those meanings are arguable, too. :))

There's actualy a pretty good old thread about this somewhere on SDN...

steve0036

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Audio said:
With the DMD, you sound like you're an MD specializing in Dentistry but with a DDS you're a surgeon which is really really cool :rolleyes:

Hey, when did u apply for dental schools? I also applied for UPEN, but I haven't heard from them.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DMD : doctor of dental medicine

DDS : doctor of dental surgery(<--- if u wanna be a surgeon, pick this one :D )

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jpollei said:
Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking....A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education.

I'd be interested to see how much literature you can find to substantiate this. I've never found anything to suggest any difference has ever existed between the two degrees.

L

LSR1979

jpollei said:
Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking. Practically, though, there's not too much difference. A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education (though those meanings are arguable, too. :))

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

geckel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no practical difference between the two. I think that western schools like DMD and southern schools like DDS. Either way I would be happy just to get in a school this year........don't really care which ending to my name I get.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
geckel said:
Absolutely no practical difference between the two. I think that western schools like DMD and southern schools like DDS. Either way I would be happy just to get in a school this year........don't really care which ending to my name I get.
what about the north and the east : p

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.