DMU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think another book that is good to get for anatomy is the Rohan (sp?) aka Dead book. I forgot the exact name but it's the book with actual cadaveric pictures instead of the drawings in Netter's. When you can't get into the lab, it's a good substitute since it's the actual color of the cadaver and looks somewhat more realistic, definitely at a much better dissection quality. But I think those are the only 2 books you will ever need during your first year. Also, do not buy old test. they are for the most part useless. Stick to the lecture handouts, ppts and mp3 and you have more than enough to study from. Notepool, i'm not too sure is useful since they are just verbatim from the lectures, which you can listen yourself on mp3. so i don't know if they are useful, but i never used them. see you guys in 2 months :(

Save money, don't buy anything until you are 1000000% sure you need it. You will end up being stupid like me and spending far more money then you actually need to. You are tested on the Power Points (for 99% of the classes with the exception of Behavioral Medicine which may throw 1-2 book questions in but they are a joke) so study the stuff that actually counts. If you need a reference to look something up, Wikipedia is not only good it is free.

Members don't see this ad.

so i noticed that the 31st street, 4220 grand, and ingersoll square apartments weren't put on that handout that dmu gave us for housing near campus but htey look appealing from an online search perspective....anyone kno any info on these complexes??

Ingersoll Square is RIDICULOUSLY nice, with super modern finish, stainless steel everything, polished concrete, etc... typical metro area condo. Way too freakin' expensive for me as the 1 bedrooms are $825 - $1,150 and really tiny and the two bedrooms range from $1435 - $2095. Even split with a fellow student rent and bills would be at least $900 each per month. Couldn't find much on 4220 Grand except a generic description on a couple of websites and no pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ingersoll Square is RIDICULOUSLY nice, with super modern finish, stainless steel everything, polished concrete, etc... typical metro area condo. Way too freakin' expensive for me as the 1 bedrooms are $825 - $1,150 and really tiny and the two bedrooms range from $1435 - $2095. Even split with a fellow student rent and bills would be at least $900 each per month. Couldn't find much on 4220 Grand except a generic description on a couple of websites and no pictures.

Here's a picture of 4220, sorry no pictures of the inside.

Attachments

• 4220.jpg
    4220.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 210
Is DMU's website totally out of commission for anyone else out there? I can't get the main site, the portal or anything else.

Both my.dmu and dmu.edu are completely dead. All I can get is an error message.

OK, well I guess it wasn't just me then. It seems to be working now. Strange.

Something is wrong with the servers here. I still cannot access my email account. By the way, the PAs have started up and they all have brand new Dells - no idea what model or what the specs are exactly. They do not appear to be tablets (at least by the looks of how much smaller they are than ours - which would be nice).

servers are flooded !!

Does anyone know if the laptops we're getting have Vista on them or not? I'm crossing my fingers for XP... :scared:

How bad does Des Moines look right now with the floods? I live in Omaha right now but I'm from Cedar Rapids and I saw it on the news today... at least what is left of it. City has shut off electric, water and gas to about half of the city so far. Things are expected to get worse, too. My parents were set to close on their house today but all of the banks in the city are out of service due to the flooding so they are just kind of stuck now.

Does anyone know if the laptops we're getting have Vista on them or not? I'm crossing my fingers for XP... :scared:

When we received our laptops last year they had the option of installing Vista but the head tech guy said there was no reason for them to install it. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't so they could save money. But I could be wrong.

I kind of hope we get XP, but I know time is running short to get new machines with it pre-installed- like if they haven't ordered them by now, it may be too late.

Members don't see this ad :)

The last I heard, they wanted Vista due to the enhanced security. That could change if it isn't working with outlook and the network.

How bad does Des Moines look right now with the floods? I live in Omaha right now but I'm from Cedar Rapids and I saw it on the news today... at least what is left of it. City has shut off electric, water and gas to about half of the city so far. Things are expected to get worse, too. My parents were set to close on their house today but all of the banks in the city are out of service due to the flooding so they are just kind of stuck now.

Des Moines is pretty okay. I was just down by the river yesterday (next to the capitol building) and it is high but there is no flooding like in the rest of Iowa. I think the sewers backloaded (I think that is the right word) onto Court Ave a week or so ago. Other than the Birdland area, I think Des Moines has escaped with only some flooded basements. Pretty good if you look at the rest of Iowa.

Thanks Jamers. I feel for all the farmers that are going to go through even tougher times because of the crops loss. I hope I don't have to pay 3 bucks an ear for that delicious Iowa corn when I get down there too. Hope everyones houses are ok. :oops:

I hope I don't have to pay 3 bucks an ear for that delicious Iowa corn when I get down there too.

Any true corn enthusiast knows Iowa corn ain't that great. Pennsylvania sweet corn is where it's at :D

So... im goint to iowa on friday to check out some apartments. Of that school list i only found like 5 to check out on sat. Seems like a lot of places dont have any 1 bed left or just dont wanna return my call. Anyways... Im so confused cuz i basically see bad reviews on every place and doesnt help that most pix are of the outside. After reading a few pages here, i guess i can cross out the 4 seasons. I wanna stay close to school and live in a nice clean quiet place. I guess that is asking a lot but I like the finer things in life:D Any recommendations?? I think the newer the better, the thought of window unit AC or "stinky" anything is just not going to work for me. Im quite willing to pay the extra money for something that i will feel more comfortable with but im gonna have to cut off somewhere around 700. And i wouldnt want a roomate until things get settled. Any advice would be great!

Any new news about what laptops we will be getting. I heard that they are looking at the Lenovo (IBM), Dell and HP.

Any new news about what laptops we will be getting. I heard that they are looking at the Lenovo (IBM), Dell and HP.

If you guys are getting the same laptops as the new PA's, you'll be getting a dell tablet that has a 12 in. screen. It's a total of 5 lbs or so but that's b/c it has a docking station, which has the CD/DVD-rom drive. You can remove the docking station. As for OS, i'm not sure but i'm keep you updated when I found today from some PA's.

I was at the student help desk yesterday and the new computers have Vista. So good luck with that! The new tablets look cool though and a HUGE improvement over our gateway tablets IMO.

Any other specs on the new laptops?

So, I just checked out MyDMU yesterday and my loans came through...then I threw up a little:barf:.

Hey.. anyone know why downtown des moines is a creepy ghost town?? I went there the other weekend to check out apartments and me and my friend totally freaked out! It was 7pm on a friday night and no cars in the street.. absolutely noone around. I never noticed that there were no ppl in the city and i heard downtown was not too cool but THIS was just weird. I ended up settling on a place in west des moines, where it seems there are some ppl but i spent hours crying about the prospect of living in des moines. I just dont like the place at all. Personally, i love the busy city of chicago where i was born and raised so ill be investing in many plane tickets (the drive isnt any fun either). I know there are some ppl from chicago that are goin to des moines... what do u guys think of the transition. I was absoultey devastated. :(

Hey.. anyone know why downtown des moines is a creepy ghost town?? I went there the other weekend to check out apartments and me and my friend totally freaked out! It was 7pm on a friday night and no cars in the street.. absolutely noone around. I never noticed that there were no ppl in the city and i heard downtown was not too cool but THIS was just weird. I ended up settling on a place in west des moines, where it seems there are some ppl but i spent hours crying about the prospect of living in des moines. I just dont like the place at all. Personally, i love the busy city of chicago where i was born and raised so ill be investing in many plane tickets (the drive isnt any fun either). I know there are some ppl from chicago that are goin to des moines... what do u guys think of the transition. I was absoultey devastated. :(

If you were there just the last couple of weekends, it was probably due to the massive flooding that was about to take place/taking place/or had taken place. Kind of puts a damper on the city life.

I moved to des moines last year from nyc and the state of downtown des moines on weekends and even on fridays made me cry for at least 5 months. my apartment was in downtown too so the creepy emptiness was my neighborhood. but i slowly got used to it, a little.
i recently moved to an area close to dmu, south of grand and feel lot better. there are still very little ppl around but at least i know that is becasue it is a residential area and ppl are busy with work n stuff and there are nice trees around so i dont mind.
des moines city is very diff from big cities like nyc and chicago but u'll get used to it. just make sure u have good friends and can explore with them cos des moines can be fun if u start exploring.
pm me if u have any concerns or whatever. oh, i'll be starting dmu DO this yr too

I moved to des moines last year from nyc and the state of downtown des moines on weekends and even on fridays made me cry for at least 5 months. my apartment was in downtown too so the creepy emptiness was my neighborhood. but i slowly got used to it, a little.
i recently moved to an area close to dmu, south of grand and feel lot better. there are still very little ppl around but at least i know that is becasue it is a residential area and ppl are busy with work n stuff and there are nice trees around so i dont mind.
des moines city is very diff from big cities like nyc and chicago but u'll get used to it. just make sure u have good friends and can explore with them cos des moines can be fun if u start exploring.
pm me if u have any concerns or whatever. oh, i'll be starting dmu DO this yr too

Good to know im not the only one! It was actually pretty funny b/c me and my friend went on this hunt to find the "cool spot" and with no luck i guess the best we found was jordan creek shopping. LOL we literaly were asking ppl what there is around here. its F***ing depressing cuz im so used to a differnt lifestyle. But ive come to terms with it by deciding ill pay any amount of money to spend as much time back home as possible. i know its stupid but i wont make it otherwise. I hope i can adjust to this but its not looking good at all so far. hopefully things will get better after orientation. Guess ill be seein ya there??

When you say Downtown, where exactly do you mean? If you were on and around the Court Avenue District, that's the first I've ever heard of it being a ghost town on a Friday night. It's usually crawling with people, since it's filled with restaurants, bars, etc. If you were there and it was right around the time leading up to the flooding, it's pretty likely everyone was busy sandbagging.

Nevertheless, Des Moines is NOT Chicago (and thank God for that, in my humble opinion), but there is plenty going on here on any given Friday night. It's a metro of 350,000+...it's not podunk Iowa.

A busy nightlife is great in a city, but besides the occasional two hours one evening to celebrate the completion of a big exam, when else do students actually get to go out?

For me, Iowa has some decent outdoor activities (fishing, camping, biking) that are not too far and inaccessable so I'm pretty content. I don't plan on having the money or the time to hit a bunch of clubs/bars/shopping areas as frequently as I would like.

Honestly, I never planned on living in Iowa, but from what other DMU graduates say, even the ones who were from large metropolitan areas survived and appreciated some of the great things in that community.

If any 2012 kids want to meet up for coffee, beer, lunch etc let me know, Im about the only one not in a summer program or taking boards that is still in town. Just send me an IM

If any 2012 kids want to meet up for coffee, beer, lunch etc let me know, Im about the only one not in a summer program or taking boards that is still in town. Just send me an IM

I'll second that (despite being involved in a Summer program). Some of us 2011 kids kind of had a pre-pre-orientation last year, so if anyone is going to be in town, we'd be happy to meet up and hang out.

Hi, I was wondering what lenders people are choosing for their Stafford Loans and why? Is everybody going with DMU's preferred lenders? I understand that if we get a loan through a preferred lender that the default fee is paid for us. If I do not select a preferred lender, is the default fee collected up front or does it refer to a fee that is charged if you default on your loan? Thanks for any input.

Any of you out of state 2nd year students have any thoughts on obtaining resident status in Iowa? I don't know whether I want to get a new drivers license, etc. or not- part of me worries that if I keep my ID one that I will end up with jury duty and they only let you postpone for 2 months. Guess how lucky I am when it comes to that sort of thing? :rolleyes:

I kept my Colorado drivers license for my 1st year and wasn't planning on changing my state resident status until I have a better idea of where I am going for rotations next year.

I still get my car tags from Colorado too and haven't had any issues.

I was also not aware that a state can recall you for jury duty if you are going to professional school out of state. I would think that we could get some kind of exemption. Or does that depend on specific states? :confused:

Well, there are some exemptions, but none of them apply to being a student. Welcome to the great state of ID. I imagine that it varies by state, though. I should probably get an IA one, unless there are a bunch of tests and hoops to jump through. Probably not worth the time at that point.

On Edit- here is a link for anyone interested about switching an out of state license to IA. http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/newresidents.htm

And here is another one with costs
http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/types.htm

Last edited:
Copied from the Iowa residency link in previous post:

"Resident does not include a person who is attending a college or university in this state if the person has a domicile in another state and has a valid driver's license issued by the state of domicile. Resident also does not include members of the armed forces that are stationed in Iowa, providing that their vehicles are properly registered in their state of residency."

so if you list your parents house or other residence as a permanent address you may maintain you home state resident status. You can also vote with an absentee ballot.

For Colorado college students copied from the Jury website: (
http://www.17thjudicialdistrict.com/Jury Service.htm )

"
Additionally, if you are living in another county while attending college you can be excused from jury service. You should fill out your juror questionnaire, completing the address that you presently are living and return the questionnaire to your jury commissioner to be excused.

But again that might be different in different states.

Just to add a little more info-

http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/Self_Help/Jury_Service/

Also, the court has discretion to excuse someone from jury service upon a finding of hardship, inconvenience, or public necessity.

If you want to be excused from jury service, you should file a written request with the clerk of court as soon as possible after you receive the summons to serve.

Seems to me that it would probably be easier to get out of it in IA than in ID. I think being in professional school is a legitimate reason to be excused due to inconvenience of missing classes, labs, testing, etc. I will probably chase down a new license in IA after I move.

Hope this helps someone else.

Hello guys,

i was wondering if any DO12 students are going to the pre orientation activites?

Congrats everyone! We've completed the first day of orientation. One down, 864 to go!

Hello DMU students!!

I just received an interivew invite, and chose to interivew on September 12th. That means I'll be flying in on September 11th and staying the night.

If you wouldn't mind me staying the night on the 11th, shoot me a PM. That would be greatly apprecaited.

Or, if you know of the chepaest places to rent a room, that might also be useful

I'm pretty chill. No problems, i dont snore, dont smoke or anything like that. Basically just want a couch to sleep on.

I'm very excited about DMU!! It is one of my top choices!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hello DMU students!!

I just received an interivew invite, and chose to interivew on September 12th. That means I'll be flying in on September 11th and staying the night.

If you wouldn't mind me staying the night on the 11th, shoot me a PM. That would be greatly apprecaited.

Or, if you know of the chepaest places to rent a room, that might also be useful

I'm pretty chill. No problems, i dont snore, dont smoke or anything like that. Basically just want a couch to sleep on.

I'm very excited about DMU!! It is one of my top choices!! :thumbup::thumbup:

DMU should have given you a link that you can find student hosts with. I would rely on that before using SDN. JMO, though.

As for hotels, the Holiday Inn Express at Drake isn't bad and is just a couple of miles from the school. The regular Holiday Inn is right across the street from the airport and is also OK. Its probably like 3-4 miles to the school from there. I have stayed at both. HIE is probably like $85 a night. HI is about 80 if you tell them you are interviewing at DMU. I think what they are giving you is the "government" rate. DMU should have also given you a link to hotels they have a special deal with.