DMU-COM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iowafarmstud

Official Dreamer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!! I know everyone kept talking about starting the class of 2013 threat...well, here it is!!! I hope we can all become great friends long before school starts. :)
Here is to one of the best classes DMU is going to graduate, the class of 2013!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

alright!!!!!! way too take initiative with this thread (no one else would), haha. I can see you are going to do great things at DMU :D

I hope to join soon :xf:

Anyone know if you get a stethoscope at DMU? I know some schools do this. my parents are considering x-mas gifts and I don't want to end up having 2...

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone know if you get a stethoscope at DMU? I know some schools do this. my parents are considering x-mas gifts and I don't want to end up having 2...

I didnt hear anything about a stethoscope, just a laptop (sweeet!). You could always call and ask tho.

Hey, how long did DMU take to give you an answer about your interview? Do they give yes/no answer? Waiting list? Thanks

Hey, how long did DMU take to give you an answer about your interview? Do they give yes/no answer? Waiting list? Thanks

Exactly 14 days...acceptance email. Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Nope. Plan on getting a good one regardless of where it comes from. Littmanns are around $130 and go up from there. Amazingly, the bookstore has prices that are every bit as good as those you can find on the internet. You won't actually need it until the second semester of your first year, so you might wait a year.

I received my acceptance e-mail on Monday (December1). I am so excited to be attending DMU next fall!!! Just wanted to tell all ya'll hi! :D

alright!!!!!! way too take initiative with this thread (no one else would), haha. I can see you are going to do great things at DMU :D

Hey ryserr--I figured someone better start it!! Everyone else was starting other class threads, and I definitely didn't want us to be lagging!

On another note, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Jamie and I'm from Estherville, IA. I'm super excited to start DMU next August!!!

I know that we will have an AMAZING class, as everyone I met at my interview and on SDN have been really cool people.

I also wanted to get my name out there, as I will be running for class president come next summer!(I'll start working on my "Change" speech in the comming months!!;) )

So, WELCOME to those who are new to the class and good luck to those that are hoping to join our class. 2013 is going to do great things!

Glad to join! Its official!!!!

DoktorB~ GLAD you decided to join our class!!! DMU is going to rock next year...and I'm glad someone else finally posted:D

I've been meaning to post on this thread. DMU class of 2013 is going to be awesome. I can't wait to start next August and meet everyone!!

Alright c/o 2013! Best class ever! Anyone going through the military like me? Only 8 months left!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone seen any nicer/newer apartments listed around DMU's campus, West Des Moines, or Downtown? Looking for something preferably with updated appliances.

Alright c/o 2013! Best class ever! Anyone going through the military like me? Only 8 months left!!!!!

Im thinking about the military, its pretty tempting...I dunno though

Is anyone going to get a FB group started soon so we can put names with faces?

Im thinking about the military, its pretty tempting...I dunno though

I'm currently doing my paperwork for the Natioinal Guard and am going to go that route. I would love to do military, but having to match into a military residency scares me as their "needs" fluctuate every year.:scared: At the same time, if I worked my butt off, that shouldn't matter!:)

Is anyone going to get a FB group started soon so we can put names with faces?

As was already said above, it is created! Hopefully we get some more talking going on there! It has been pretty dry so far:yawn: But kota, welcome :welcome: to the family!! It is going to be an awesome year!!!

Random question to start our lively discussion...What specialty is everyone thinking of going into??? I know it might change numerous times over the next few years...but it is always something fun to talk about!

Random question to start our lively discussion...What specialty is everyone thinking of going into??? I know it might change numerous times over the next few years...but it is always something fun to talk about!

D-CL21-tn.jpg
-gen surg :cool:

I also wanted to get my name out there, as I will be running for class president come next summer!(I'll start working on my "Change" speech in the comming months!!;) )

So, WELCOME to those who are new to the class and good luck to those that are hoping to join our class. 2013 is going to do great things!

what do class presidents do anyway?

i'm pretty sure i 'm going to be going to DMU next year! so excited.
ps - thinking of military - well filling outs apps. woo hoo!
so hi everyone!

Random question to start our lively discussion...What specialty is everyone thinking of going into??? I know it might change numerous times over the next few years...but it is always something fun to talk about![/quote]

Internal Medicine :)

Does anyone know anything about the laptops DMU issues students? What brand, are they tablets, do we have to use the ones they issue?

Does anyone know anything about the laptops DMU issues students? What brand, are they tablets, do we have to use the ones they issue?

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that they are tablets..cant remember what kind though. You joining us next year??

Well I have one more interview scheduled in early January at an state MD school. But I paid my deposit for DMU today - I loved the school, people, and environment so that MD school has a lot to live up to!

what do class presidents do anyway?

raja~ Basically class presidents do cool things like promise new vending machines and longer breaks between classes...all of which will never happen!! ;)

No, seriously, class president is more of another ambassador and contact for the students to have input into their own education. If they have a problem with clinical rotations, that is a concern that the class president can bring up with administration.
Also, social events, volunteer work by DMU, and other PR stuff...you get the point! So, can I count on your vote raja?!?! :D

I also read/heard they are tablets. I don't have the reference in front of me, but I'll try and find it tomorrow!!

1st year students this year have Dell Latitude XT machines. They have Vista, which isn't the best, but have 3 gigs of memory so they run ok. They have 75 gig HDs, but they also give us 300 gig external drives for backup. As far as I know you can use anything you want, but you probaby won't be able to get much help if you need it. You pay for it either way, so you might as well use it. They also told us that they don't care what you load on it as far as mp3s or messenger, etc.

Hey everyone. I'm a first year at DMU. I just finished the first term, which is a killer, but it was totally worth it. I really like DMU and surprisingly, Des Moines itself. I come from a bigger city, but Des Moines has everything you could really need or want (at least on your limited med student schedule). Feel free to messege me if you guys have any questions or are coming to the area and want to meet some current first years or check out the school/city.

Docduck - I live here. It is a little expensive, but I'm married so it's doable. I LOVE the apartments. It's about 15 minutes to school, people are nice, facilites are amazing, quality is top notch, and I live 2 minutes from Jordan Creek Towncenter Mall. It has lots of high end stores like Steve Madden, Fossil, Ann Taylor, PotteryBarn, etc... not that you'll have too much time to go :). The restaurants are good, too: Cheesecake Factory, On The Border, P.F. Changs (yuck), Flemmings Steakhouse (expensive but good), Bravo! Cucina Italiano (moderate price, amazing food), Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Fudruckers (do I really need a 2 lb. burger?), Joe's Crabshack and many more.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

are the laptops for keeps or do we have to return them after we graduate or something...and wow this is the first i heard about them giving students external hard drives...any other cool gizmos they give to their students?

are the laptops for keeps or do we have to return them after we graduate or something...and wow this is the first i heard about them giving students external hard drives...any other cool gizmos they give to their students?

I remember reading (pretty sure it was either on the DMU website or the Princeton review book) that after graduation, the laptop is yours.

The way it was explained to us was that the school can't technically "give" you the laptop when you graduate so you have to pay $1 for it to keep it... so pretty much it is yours to keep.

Just got my bumper sticker today. It feels official now :D

just had to post one more time because my post count was 666. yikes :scared:

yay, it's official! just put 500 dollars in...oh and just got my bumper sticker this week. guess it's all about the bumper sticker, lol.

Greetings and congratulations to all. I hope that you had a great Christmas and a happy New Year. Does anyone in the Des Moines area happen to know of a good Indian restaurant? My wife and I recently ate at a good sushi place in town, but we're wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Indian food or any other great places for that matter.

Greetings and congratulations to all. I hope that you had a great Christmas and a happy New Year. Does anyone in the Des Moines area happen to know of a good Indian restaurant? My wife and I recently ate at a good sushi place in town, but we're wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Indian food or any other great places for that matter.

I love India Star (on Douglas a few blocks east of Merle Hay Road). Yummy!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Just want to announce I'll be in Des Moines next year.

Hey everyone! So I am thinking of getting a nice loft in the downtown area. I lived in a dump for 4 years as an undergrad so I would like to get a nice place to live for med school. The problem is there is no way I can afford one on my own, so if anyone is interested in renting a 2BR or 3 BR loft let me know. 6 months and counting...it will be here before we know it!

Does anyone have a pretty good understanding of how rotations are set up during your 3rd year at DMU? Are we sent to one site where we perform all our rotations for that year? Are rotations mostly done in Iowa? If anyone can provide some info that would be great!

Congratulations to all of you coming to DMU, it is truly a great medical school that is bent on improving. I've seen vast progress each year since beginning in 2005. Students from DMU are frequently identified by attendings as being solid, desirable students on thier services.

Anywho, I'm graduating in May and will be off to residency in a new city. My wife and I bought a townhouse in West Des Moines (nice, upscale, yuppie side of DSM) back in 2005 when I started medical school. We are interested in selling this. I'll be honest, price-wise, it's gonna be a great deal for who ever is intersted. We realize that the market is poor now and that it is a buyers market. Still, we are not looking to make a profit, we just want to move on. This would be great for those who are married, with a sig other, or family. Of course, a good idea for any one though, since your payment is cheaper than most rent. We have paid $750 month.

Triton builders, new in 2005, it's a two bedroom, two bathroom three level town house with attached, two car heated garage. Appliances included, also laundry and dishwasher. Association fees, lowest around at $80/ month.

Private message me for any more details and I could give phone number, etc... can provide pictures too.

Sorry to take the thread into a tangent, but I wanted to offer the deal to incoming DMU students before the general public.

Last edited:
I'm tired of working my job. I want med school to start. Waiting....

I totally agree. I keep counting down the weeks until I'm out of the lab. Unfortunately, it's a lot yet and the work is piling up.

Does anyone have a pretty good understanding of how rotations are set up during your 3rd year at DMU? Are we sent to one site where we perform all our rotations for that year? Are rotations mostly done in Iowa? If anyone can provide some info that would be great!

I'm not 100% sure about this info, but this is what I gathered after talking to a current DMU student...

There is a lottery system, and about half of the class will stay in Des Moines or other parts of Iowa. If you do stay in Des Moines, you will do rotations at various places around town.

Actually, I believe that the lottery system is a two step process. 1st step: do a lottery for which state you want to do rotations in. Step 2: do another lottery for which hospital in that state you want to rotate at. Then, as I understand it, you will do most if not all of your rotations at that hospital. If I missed anything, maybe a current student could correct me.

Hey 2013! Spooner, that sounds about right. I heard it was a lottery system too, but I do not know the specifics. Hey everyone I posted earlier asking the question if others were going into the military like myself, and I just wanted you all to know that I declined an AF opportunity for scholarship. Basically, it took getting in contact with current military physicians and also reading the military forum on SDN to get straight and solid answers. My recruiter was like a politician when answering my questions (surprise). Anyways, for those who are thinking about the military, look at the military medicine forums. They are VERY informative, and for the most part, true. The military changes frequently (from what I have researched) in their specifications in the contracts they give, and Jamie, yeah the military residency thing is tough for me to swallow. To answer the specialty question, I plan on entering primary care (Fam. Med. or Peds) and doing a Sports Medicine Fellowship, or doing Emergency Medicine. But who knows? I work as a Hematologist/chemist in a lab right now and Oncology looks like something I could do.

Hey everyone! So I am thinking of getting a nice loft in the downtown area. I lived in a dump for 4 years as an undergrad so I would like to get a nice place to live for med school. The problem is there is no way I can afford one on my own, so if anyone is interested in renting a 2BR or 3 BR loft let me know. 6 months and counting...it will be here before we know it!

Hey Mabish- Which lofts are you talking about? How much are they, and are you looking for a guy or girl roommate?

Interviewed 1/16 and received my acceptance email today! So happy to be in the DMU Class of 2013 with you guys! :D

Hey Mabish- Which lofts are you talking about? How much are they, and are you looking for a guy or girl roommate?
I think we are looking at spending between 800-1100 dollars for a 2br place. Getting a roommate is the way to go because a 1BR place is going to run 600-700 dollars. There are a lot of options, and I really need to make a trip up there to look. Downtown is not that far from campus but I hear a lot about 3000 grand (across the street from campus) I am looking for a guy roommate. I am from St. Louis. My email is [email protected]. Are you planning a trip to Des Moines to look for places to live? Let me know. See ya.

vine street and university place lofts look nice