DMU-COM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I have been rethinking my decision on moving downtown. It is too expensive and a little too far from campus. I want to live within walking distance of campus. 3000 grand apartments have 3 BR 2 Bath units for $1200. With utilities it would prolly run about $500 each.

I posted an ad on dmu classifieds for roommates for fall. I would be willing to look at other 3br places besides 3000 grand, as long as its within walking distance of campus.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad.

hey all! I just got accepted and am so excited!!

I know many of you are posting for roommates and i'm all for cheap places. I don't have a place in mind and will be answering ads or whatnot.

However, I"m a female, hope that doesn't scare you off... I'm very techie (2 computers and have several video game consoles I want to bring) I am also not 100% clean all the time. I have a problem remembering to do the dishes though i'm trying to get better. If anyone is interested, pm me or email: dablackrose at hotmail.com

w00T! YAY med school!!!

hey i also wanted to bring to some DMU students attention that many ppl have been giving DMU a bad rap on this site. It would be nice if you could respond. This is one of several threads that makes DMU look bad:
No one should attend DMU-
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=596106

to give us a fighting chance take a few minutes out of your schedule and give DMU a REAL review. If you don't have time or don't know where to start here is the pro's and con's link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

PLEASE do it for all the premeds out there. To show you a little about what is said Here is just a short excerpt:
DMU Review

Curriculum: The first year curriculum is fairly well done. Physiology is extremely well done, as is Immunology and Geriatrics. Anatomy and Neuroanatomy are weak. The second year curriculum varies widely. Pharmacology is well taught, GI, Endocrine, and ENT are well done as well. Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, and Rheumatology/Orthopedics are disasters. The classes are poorly organized and poorly taught. The biggest problem with the second year DMU curriculum is that guest lecturers teach most of the systems classes and the quality of these lectures is inconsistent. In general, the students would be better served if they hired James Earl Jones to read Robbins out loud for four hours a morning.

Also, second year, there is a month long, 24 class hour surgery lab. Interesting information, but it really has no place in a second year curriculum and it significantly takes away from board prep time.

Clinical skills: You spend more time learning how to look like you know what you're doing than actually mastering the skills you'll need to know what you're doing.

Faculty: Inconsistent
I dunno about you but I seriously reconsidered my DMU acceptance when i read this. Please somebody confront this review..... if this is true let those of us know. IF its not please TELL US!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The first link you posted was preposterous and the thread got closed. The second link actually has quite a few positive reviews of the school if you read into it. There are a lot of biased opinions on here, so don't believe everything you hear.

Why did you post that negative review in the class thread? we are all going this school, and we all know that these are all very biased statements that many who go to this school do not believe. I have actually heard from a few physicians who have DMU students on rotations that they are very impressed by them and that they tend to do quite well.

This post would probably be more appropriate for the DMU discussion thread, not the c/o 2013 thread.

hey i also wanted to bring to some DMU students attention that many ppl have been giving DMU a bad rap on this site. It would be nice if you could respond. This is one of several threads that makes DMU look bad:

to give us a fighting chance take a few minutes out of your schedule and give DMU a REAL review. If you don't have time or don't know where to start here is the pro's and con's link:

PLEASE do it for all the premeds out there. To show you a little about what is said Here is just a short excerpt:
DMU Review

Curriculum: The first year curriculum is fairly well done. Physiology is extremely well done, as is Immunology and Geriatrics. Anatomy and Neuroanatomy are weak. The second year curriculum varies widely. Pharmacology is well taught, GI, Endocrine, and ENT are well done as well. Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, and Rheumatology/Orthopedics are disasters. The classes are poorly organized and poorly taught. The biggest problem with the second year DMU curriculum is that guest lecturers teach most of the systems classes and the quality of these lectures is inconsistent. In general, the students would be better served if they hired James Earl Jones to read Robbins out loud for four hours a morning.

Also, second year, there is a month long, 24 class hour surgery lab. Interesting information, but it really has no place in a second year curriculum and it significantly takes away from board prep time.

Clinical skills: You spend more time learning how to look like you know what you're doing than actually mastering the skills you'll need to know what you're doing.

I dunno about you but I seriously reconsidered my DMU acceptance when i read this. Please somebody confront this review..... if this is true let those of us know. IF its not please TELL US!!

3 years into it so far....no complaints. I feel I am as prepared if not more prepared than my fellow students from other schools. Sounds like you need to check your facts and stop being bitter that you got rejected.

Hey everyone, I will most likely be attending DMU in the fall and it was my first acceptance. I love the school but I am currently waitlisted at TCOM and waiting to hear from them. If I do end up at DMU I know it will be great!! Has anyone heard about any sort of second look or day that they have accepted students come to campus? I would like to take a trip out sometime to do some apartment searching as well. Can't wait to meet you guys!

DMU Review

Congrats to you guys with acceptances & as a 4th year 2 rotations & 3 months from graduating, I wanted to give you a little perspective.

You will most certaintly find that first year is pretty well done. Neuroanatomy & anatomy are fair as is Cell/Molecular. If you decide to take the USMLE you will have to prepare yourselves for the increased content in that area (I took both USMLE/COMLEX 1 & 2). You have to kind of know going in that some areas such as Cell/Molecular & Pathology are going to be less than some allopathic schools b/c they have to make room for OMM somewhere.

MS2 year is well taught by clinicians mostly, but you will find yourself frustrated at times b/c the test material sometimes does not match what you thought was emphasized in class.

The clinical years are entirely what you make of them & this seems to be true for every student from every medical school I have run into on interviews. Some schools have more structured clinical years, but I would rather have the opportunity to run my own clinical years.

As far as being prepared for residency, I can say w/ 100% certainty that I have been far more prepared than other students I've run into. I am going into general surgery (Match on Monday!) & have rotated at major allopathic institutions. As long as you are confindent you will be put into a leadership role regardless of where you are. In fact in the last week, I have had nurses run to me in the hallways with intubation boxes telling me they need someone to intubate a crashing patient & attendings tell me to start central lines without supervision. You will learn to feel comfortable outside your 'comfort zone.'

If you are confident & work hard in your clinical years, you will have absolutely no problem getting into whatever residency you want.

Congrats to you guys with acceptances & as a 4th year 2 rotations & 3 months from graduating, I wanted to give you a little perspective.

You will most certaintly find that first year is pretty well done. Neuroanatomy & anatomy are fair as is Cell/Molecular. If you decide to take the USMLE you will have to prepare yourselves for the increased content in that area (I took both USMLE/COMLEX 1 & 2). You have to kind of know going in that some areas such as Cell/Molecular & Pathology are going to be less than some allopathic schools b/c they have to make room for OMM somewhere.

MS2 year is well taught by clinicians mostly, but you will find yourself frustrated at times b/c the test material sometimes does not match what you thought was emphasized in class.

The clinical years are entirely what you make of them & this seems to be true for every student from every medical school I have run into on interviews. Some schools have more structured clinical years, but I would rather have the opportunity to run my own clinical years.

As far as being prepared for residency, I can say w/ 100% certainty that I have been far more prepared than other students I've run into. I am going into general surgery (Match on Monday!) & have rotated at major allopathic institutions. As long as you are confindent you will be put into a leadership role regardless of where you are. In fact in the last week, I have had nurses run to me in the hallways with intubation boxes telling me they need someone to intubate a crashing patient & attendings tell me to start central lines without supervision. You will learn to feel comfortable outside your 'comfort zone.'

If you are confident & work hard in your clinical years, you will have absolutely no problem getting into whatever residency you want.

:D Thanks!! Im excited now!!

kritter makes a good point.

I will add that, regardless of what the 1st/2nd years are like - study hard for the boards and take the usmle (don't be scared of it.) Moreover, grades aren't the end all be all for residency matching success.

do away rotations and interview rotations and shine. Don't hesitate to actively seek out a Letter of recommendation from someone you think will write you an excellent one and do it early.

Don't listen to any other hoopla about other DO schools. DMU is the premiere DO school and you should feel very special to be a part of this ever improving and evolving family.

I hope kritter and I can make you guys proud this year along with our fellow classmates with successful and notable match ranking (osteo and allo match) to provide motivation for your future aspirations.

Hi,
Any one moving to Des Moines with small kids? If so, have you looked into day care near DMU?

Hi,
Any one moving to Des Moines with small kids? If so, have you looked into day care near DMU?

childrens garden is near dmu and if you want your kids to go there, you move up to the top of their wait list or acceptance list. However, I send my kids to traditions. By far the most clean, most caring teachers, and best education you can want in child care in des moines. We goto the one in West Des moines by Mills civic pwky. Def look into it.

childrens garden is near dmu and if you want your kids to go there, you move up to the top of their wait list or acceptance list. However, I send my kids to traditions. By far the most clean, most caring teachers, and best education you can want in child care in des moines. We goto the one in West Des moines by Mills civic pwky. Def look into it.

Thanks! I called the one near DMU couple of times and they did not return my calls... I will call yours.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to throw out that I'll be attending DMU in the Fall for my first year I couldn't be more excited about it. Being from Cincinnati and currently living in Tennessee, I never imagined myself ever living in Iowa, but I ended up turning down other acceptances and interviews because it just felt like a great fit.

So I've seen other posts on here about roommates. I would love to live close to the school. Although I've heard a lot about 3BR apts (which would be good), I think it could be great to get a house or large apartment with 2-4 other people...guys and/or girls. Living within biking or walking distance would be ideal.

Let me know. Look forward to school and meeting everyone.

Jeremy
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I called the one near DMU couple of times and they did not return my calls... I will call yours.

just wanted to mention that dmu has daycare financial aid where they will provide full day care loans if your spouse either 1) works full time or 2) is in school full time.

My wife is doing nursing full time right now, so that is how we are able to get that daycare aid.

If you don't opt for daycare aid you can also get more financial aid if you fill out a special form showing how many children you have (can get about 2k more a child)

dont forget about medicaid and foodstamps. Those have been indispensable for us these past 4 years especially for insurance purposes.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to throw out that I'll be attending DMU in the Fall for my first year I couldn't be more excited about it. Being from Cincinnati and currently living in Tennessee, I never imagined myself ever living in Iowa, but I ended up turning down other acceptances and interviews because it just felt like a great fit.

Jeremy
[email protected]

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me. I am glad they lured me with a fastrack email. I actually liked Des Moines when I drove there.

just wanted to mention that dmu has daycare financial aid where they will provide full day care loans if your spouse either 1) works full time or 2) is in school full time.

My wife is doing nursing full time right now, so that is how we are able to get that daycare aid.

If you don't opt for daycare aid you can also get more financial aid if you fill out a special form showing how many children you have (can get about 2k more a child)

dont forget about medicaid and foodstamps. Those have been indispensable for us these past 4 years especially for insurance purposes.

Thanks for the info!

Hey everyone, just got accepted last Wednesday and will definitely be coming to DMU. I was just wondering how long it took you all to get access to this "Student Portal" thing- I want to start checking the classifieds section ASAP to try to find roommate(s)! By the way I'm open to living with guys or girls (I am a girl) as long as it's somewhere within reasonable walking distance (like 15-20 minutes or less) to DMU, so if anybody's looking for roommates, feel free to PM me! :)

You have to have the full $1000 in to get on the portal.

You have to have the full $1000 in to get on the portal.

$500 works too. Just deposit, and if you don't get the snail mail within about 2 weeks call the tech-support people and they will give you your portal password and such.

Welcome to the class AnxiousMango!!!

Thank you (for the info and the welcome)!

I'm pumped for school to start and to meet everybody. :)

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me jumpstart a critical care medicine club at DMU this fall. I currently work for the critical care department as a research assistant and I think that CCM is a great field of medicine. How do you go about starting a club at DMU? I know as a first year I will be with coursework but I already know I want to do CCM so I think it would be fun to start a educational club on CCM.

Input?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey everyone!
What are people thinking about for housing next year?
Near campus, West Des Moines, downtown, etc? Live by self, roommates, etc?
I'm not too sure yet...going to head out in a bit to check it out but just thought I would see what everyone is thinking?
Take care and see you in Aug!

anybody here know about the utility costs at 3000 Grand apartments? I talked with the manager over there and she said that the gas bill alone can run $200-$400/month. This seems way out of line with what I am paying at a similar sized apartment in Des Moines right now ($70-120/month). Is this true?

Just thought I would say hi, got my acceptance last week to DMU! Still waiting to hear back from the U of Iowa, but I am almost 98% positive I will end up at DMU regardless, it just seems like a great fit for me. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! :D

Hey all 2013'ers, congrats on your acceptance!

For those of you looking for housing, I may have something you might be interested in. My roommate and I are 2nd years and will be leaving for rotations in August.

We have a lease at the Reilly Grand Townhouses that's coming to an end and thought that if any of you are interested in it for the new school year (starting in August), we can set you up.

Usually these units are highly desirable and hard to get into since we were lucky to get into it in the first place (there's usually a waiting list for it). Students usually stay at these places for 2 years before they leave for rotations.

Details of the place:
2 bedroom / 1.5 bath / 2 floors townhouse unit.
It's right across the street from school. Literally 2 minute walk from your bedroom to class.
Fireplace
Private washing machine and dryer (no coins either!)
Dishwasher
Landlord told us the rent will be $1000, plus utils. We're paying about $90 / month for utilities.
From my experience, it's nicer than my friends' places at the Imperial and Windsor Terrace. Similar feeling in terms of new-ness to 3000 Grand.

Let me know if you're interested so you don't have to go on the waiting list...

Anybody know anything about 3000 Grand or Grand Terrace apartments? They're so close and decently priced but are they the typical university crap apts or are they actually decent?

Thanks!

I am considering getting a two bedroom apartment somewhere near campus for this fall. is anyone interested? Some background on me:
- 22 year old male
- Really clean
- Spend majority of time in library (that most likely wont be changing)
- freshman at DMU this fall

i am probably going to be heading to DMU next week to scope out what is available.

Hey Everyone-

I will be a first year this fall at DMU and went apartment hunting today in Des Moines. Looked at a lot of places, and found a fantastic house for rent and am looking for a roommate. The place is literally 5-6 minutes from DMU, easily within walking or biking distance. In is a 3 br. House with one of the bedrooms in the basement. The basement is fully finished, it has its own bathroom and shower, living room. It has a full sized washer and dryer. the basement rooms are basically secluded from the rest of the house as the stairs are right by the door, so you will have plenty of your own space. Kitchen is very nice, lots of tile, large fenced in yard. Roommate must be OK with dogs. Your share would be $450/month. Oh, and you get a garage (2 car garage). This is an awesome property that won't last long! Please get back to me as soon as possible if you are interested. Looking for male or female roommate.

About me: :)
Male
22 years old
Very clean, very responsible
Easy-going and very dedicated to succeeding at DMU (probably like all of you :) )

Congratulations to all of you coming to DMU! I am sure that some of you already have your place to live for the next four years all worked out...for others you may not have it worked out yet.

So, I'm graduating in May and will be off to residency in a different state. My wife and I bought a townhouse in West Des Moines (nice, upscale, yuppie side of DSM) back in 2005 when I started medical school. We are interested in selling this. I'll be honest, price-wise, it's gonna be a great deal for who ever is intersted. We are not looking to make a profit, we just want to move on without worrying about our property here.

This would be great for students with roomates, splitting the cost or attached couples, and so forth. However, at this price, the mortgage will be less than most rentals, while you have more room and a heated double car attached garage! Iowa icy and snowing winters make this a must!

Information...Triton builders, new in 2005, it's a two bedroom, two bathroom three level town house with attached, two car heated garage. Appliances included, also full laundry and dishwasher in the place. Association fees, lowest around at $80/ month! That means not having to shovel the driveway. Lots of extra room in this place for storage, the garage is huge.

Private message me for any more details and I could give phone number, etc... can provide pictures too.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I wanted to renew the deal to incoming DMU students. We are motivated sellers, my residency starts end of June!

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me jumpstart a critical care medicine club at DMU this fall. I currently work for the critical care department as a research assistant and I think that CCM is a great field of medicine. How do you go about starting a club at DMU? I know as a first year I will be with coursework but I already know I want to do CCM so I think it would be fun to start a educational club on CCM.

Input?

Thanks,
Mike

You will want to talk to either Mary Ann Zug or Tricia Zeis. I didn't set up a club but I did set up the now yearly canned food drive run through Combat Hunger and these are the two I went through.

Does anyone know if we have to pay for parking on campus, and if so, how much? I'm trying to determine the cost of gas and parking to help me decide if I want to live within walking distance of campus next year. Thanks!

Does anyone know if we have to pay for parking on campus, and if so, how much? I'm trying to determine the cost of gas and parking to help me decide if I want to live within walking distance of campus next year. Thanks!

$40 one time fee for all four years. And they just initiated a new program where you get free rides on the Des Moines bus system by showing your school ID

It seems it will be easy to study for the boards with the coursework. Is any one buying first aid etc?

It seems it will be easy to study for the boards with the coursework. Is any one buying first aid etc?

You will be surprised by the coursework and how NOT easy it is when you get here. Remember, you are taking the equivalent of 50 credits in one year; this is where they get the "sipping from a fire-hose" statement from.

That aside, I would not recommend buying review books this early in the game. I made that mistake and ended up only using the Kaplan books given to us by the school; big waste of like 100 bucks.

I think everyone does boards a little different. I'm a big fan of using board review books along with coursework. I recommend getting FA at the beginning of first year, and use it to follow along with your courses, then in December of 2nd year(when the new edition of FA is released) you can decided if you want to stick with the 2 year old FA you've been using or if you want to pick up the new one. I feel the Kaplan materials are a little over rated, and a bit much to get through for boards in a short amount of time. Especially since you won't get those books until after xmas of 2nd year. If you use books like brs physio, HY neuro, CMMRS and RR Path or BRS Path, etc throughout the 1st two years you will be already familar with your study materials when you start your review. Just my 2 cents, everybody finds what works well for them. Good luck!

Best of luck to all of you.
I have really enjoyed my time in DSM/DMU. Great city to focus on the task at hand, while still having plenty to do when you are not studying. I have been pleased w/ the facilities, the support of the faculty/staff and my rotations thus far.

Best Wishes,
T.D.
DMU 2010

PS - Just left the 1st Annual DMU Hot Wings Eating Contest at Wellman's...Good Times.

Hi everybody! Congratulations on being accepted to DMU! It's a great school, and you should definitely be excited about the upcoming years.

Sorry to leave another apt listing. I'm at the end of my 3rd yr and about to get a roommate, who is hoping her apartment gets rented in mid-july/end of august.

It's in the country club village apartments in West Des Moines, about a 10min drive to school. $665/month, all utilities paid except electric. It's very spacious and nice, a garage can be rented, swimming pool, lots of storage space, and cats and dogs are welcome. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Down payment for the apt is waived for DMU students.

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.countryclubvillageapartments.com/

It would be plenty of space for a couple, and it's perfect if you would prefer not living extremely close to campus but still within a short drive. Some people prefer to live away from school to really "get away". I personally lived by school and liked it, but everyone is different. Plus you get a lot more for your money living away from campus. Prices are hiked around here.

Send me a message if you're interested, or just stop by when you're apartment hunting to check it out. I'd also be happy to answer any other questions about school if you have them.

Word to the wise - avoid Grand Prix at all costs. I made the mistake of living there my first year, and there were some serious mold problems.

Good luck next year!!

Hey everyone!! I am getting extremely excited to start school this August. But I will be even more excited to find a roommate. I am currently looking for a female roommate for this upcoming year. I have a deposit down an a great place right across the street from the campus and need roomie to share the place with. Here are a few of the specifics:

rent: $500/month
utilities: ~$90/month
includes: parking, dishwasher, washer & dryer (no coins!), microwave
2 bedroom, 1.5 bath

This townhouse is right across the street from the campus and literally 2 minutes from bedroom to classroom. If you are interested please msg me ASAP. Thanks so much!!!!

I would like to correct an error in my previous post. Utilities are about $45/month instead of $90/month.

Also, each bedroom has a walk-in closet.

Thanks! :)

Sorry for the late notice but STAY AWAY from Maple Grove Villas. This place is a DUMP!

you have been warned.

Just thought I would let you know about Winwood Apartments. They are located in Johnston, IA, which is about 15-20 minutes from DMU, but on a beautiful greenbelt walking path and has great surroundings. These apartments are really close to I-35, making going to school, West Des Moines, or downtown really quick and easy. My husband and I moved here in March and have really enjoyed it. If you have pets, they have no weight limits (but only 2 pets are allowed in each apt). The management has lots of things going on for tenants throughout the year, like pool parties, girls night outs, sports ticket discounts, they handed out a free breakfast-to-go once, massages, etc. The management is great and they have tons of different layouts to choose from at good prices.
If you are interested, please visit their website: http://www.winwoodapartments.com/

Also, you are more than welcome to use my name as a reference (they do offer $100 when residents refer someone:))

Thanks and good luck apartment shopping everyone!! See ya in class!
Jeana Shelley

LOL, you still live there jbone? I thought they would of kicked you and your family out by now!

Sorry for the late notice but STAY AWAY from Maple Grove Villas. This place is a DUMP!

you have been warned.

I would also urge you to stay away from Four Seasons Apartments. These places are also dumps run by real jerks.

LOL, you still live there jbone? I thought they would of kicked you and your family out by now!

If you want to live somewhere nice, you have to look on the east side. Forget the west side, come over here next to the worlds largest mullet collection, aka the fairgrounds.

If you want to live somewhere nice, you have to look on the east side. Forget the west side, come over here next to the worlds largest mullet collection, aka the fairgrounds.

can't wait. Ill be sure to bring a guide to the different types, it will be similar to bird watching.

Has anyone been able to register for classes? I mean we literally have a few weeks left to start school, should we be able to do so by now?

Has anyone been able to register for classes? I mean we literally have a few weeks left to start school, should we be able to do so by now?

Well, I don't think we are able to yet...You can get fully 'registered' on the portal, but I think we get enrolled during orientation. Not completely sure though, still feel a little lost too :confused:

Well, I don't think we are able to yet...You can get fully 'registered' on the portal, but I think we get enrolled during orientation. Not completely sure though, still feel a little lost too :confused:

You are automatically "registered" for classes so no worries.

have any of you enrolled for the insurance yet? I did so today, and I was expecting to be able to make my payment online...but the only option was to pay by "bill". I am a little confused as to when and where we pay this bill, since it has to be done by the 1st? :confused: