DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU students, how is school being effected by the current weather situation?

DMU students, how is school being effected by the current weather situation?

It's not affecting us, unless you count everyone talking about how their basement has water in it (including myself). School is on high ground, so unless Saylorville dam breaks, school will be fine. Can't say the same for downtown, though. I predict downtown will be flooded by Sunday.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not affecting us, unless you count everyone talking about how their basement has water in it (including myself). School is on high ground, so unless Saylorville dam breaks, school will be fine. Can't say the same for downtown, though. I predict downtown will be flooded by Sunday.

i guess thats great for the school..... pretty unfortunate for the rest of iowa though :(

When you guys were asked to list your medical experience, do you write a description as well? What's the difference between this and what we listed on AACOMAS?

Has anyone received secondaries for this cycle yet or are you guys using the prompt(s) from last year?

I know that there are no formal secondary essay but what is the character limit for the optional discription ???

DMU doent get very much lovin, so i thought i'd bump this baby up. Where are my class of 2013 DMU lovers!!? :love:

DMU is defn top choice for me. I love this school. Plus we have a house in Iowa near there.. makes it a little cheaper! =)

Just received email from DMU giving me the secondary! woo whoo.

DMU doent get very much lovin, so i thought i'd bump this baby up. Where are my class of 2013 DMU lovers!!? :love:

Thats because everyone know its the shiz, so there is nothing to complain about ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats because everyone know its the shiz, so there is nothing to complain about ;)

Haha i wasnt asking for complainers...i was asking for lovers. i thought the smiley with the heart gave it away.

its true tho that i havent hear many people speak poorly about DMU.

Just received email from DMU giving me the secondary! woo whoo.

I got my invite today too...do you happen to know what percentage of screened applicants get interviews? I remember hearing they screen pretty heavily.

I got my invite today too...do you happen to know what percentage of screened applicants get interviews? I remember hearing they screen pretty heavily.

Na, I'm not sure altho i've also heard they screen thoroughly. I'm just excited there aren't any essay questions! I submitted the secondary already b/c it was so easy to fill out.

I think the screening is pretty thorough. I was not screened out, but had it been just based on numbers, I probably would have been.

Na, I'm not sure altho i've also heard they screen thoroughly. I'm just excited there aren't any essay questions! I submitted the secondary already b/c it was so easy to fill out.

i submitted last night as well. it was certainly refreshing not having to write 2 full length essays and 3 short essays (which seems to be the trend in my current stack of applications).

Hey guys,

Did anyone list shadowing as clinical experience? If so, what did you put as your Title/Position? and for hours per week, I'm not sure what to put. SHould I just put "Varied"?

Also, do you think I could count EMT-B license as one? While I didn't use it as a job, I did do the required ride time, time in the ED, and additional ride time after the class was over.

Hey guys,

Did anyone list shadowing as clinical experience? If so, what did you put as your Title/Position? and for hours per week, I'm not sure what to put. SHould I just put "Varied"?

Also, do you think I could count EMT-B license as one? While I didn't use it as a job, I did do the required ride time, time in the ED, and additional ride time after the class was over.

The format for entering the clinical experience was kind of weird. They ask for a description but then give you one line with "Title/Employer/Activity" or whatever.

I listed my shadowing expereinces as clinical experience. I just put "Student Shadow for family practice physican George Lopez, DO"

The format for entering the clinical experience was kind of weird. They ask for a description but then give you one line with "Title/Employer/Activity" or whatever.

I listed my shadowing expereinces as clinical experience. I just put "Student Shadow for family practice physican George Lopez, DO"

What about hours? My hrs were random. I would do maybe 4 hrs a day, 2x a week and then do 14 hrs the next week. It was all dependent on my work schedule and their availability.

Also, what do you think about the EMT license?

What about hours? My hrs were random. I would do maybe 4 hrs a day, 2x a week and then do 14 hrs the next week. It was all dependent on my work schedule and their availability.

Also, what do you think about the EMT license?

yea i had the same problem. I just figured out the average hours per week I spent and put that down. They aren't going to ask any questions about it, and if they do you can easily explain. No biggie.

As far as EMT. I dont see why you couldn't mention it, if you spent quality time and learned something from your experience. I dont think it matters if you dind't use it for a job.

yea i had the same problem. I just figured out the average hours per week I spent and put that down. They aren't going to ask any questions about it, and if they do you can easily explain. No biggie.

As far as EMT. I dont see why you couldn't mention it, if you spent quality time and learned something from your experience. I dont think it matters if you dind't use it for a job.

I guess EMT would go down as Volunteering? or would it be more shadowing?

I guess EMT would go down as Volunteering? or would it be more shadowing?

Well what exactly were you getting your license for? Just to have it? B/c you mentioned you didn't get a job afterwards.

Was it like a course you have to take before becoming an EMT tho? I'm not very familiar with that process.

I dont think it really matters if you classify it as volunteering or shadowing. But if i had to choose I'd pick volunteering. I dunno tho.

Well what exactly were you getting your license for? Just to have it? B/c you mentioned you didn't get a job afterwards.

Was it like a course you have to take before becoming an EMT tho? I'm not very familiar with that process.

I dont think it really matters if you classify it as volunteering or shadowing. But if i had to choose I'd pick volunteering. I dunno tho.

Well, I wanted to get a job as an EMT but have had no luck. I am now pursuing a job as a tech in the ER cause the license qualifies for that. I guess I sort of volunteered and shadowed by riding on the ambulance. I rode on the ambulance to gain experience and learn from paramedics which is like shadowing, but then I did some grunt work like washing the ambulances and stocking supplies, which is like volunteering. I am torn on which to pick, but I am guessing it doesn't really matter?

Well, I wanted to get a job as an EMT but have had no luck. I am now pursuing a job as a tech in the ER cause the license qualifies for that. I guess I sort of volunteered and shadowed by riding on the ambulance. I rode on the ambulance to gain experience and learn from paramedics which is like shadowing, but then I did some grunt work like washing the ambulances and stocking supplies, which is like volunteering. I am torn on which to pick, but I am guessing it doesn't really matter?

It is difficult to get a job as an EMT in some areas (there is a bit of politics involved).

Last edited:
It is difficult to get a job as an EMT in some areas (there is a bit of politics involved).
Yeah, I gave up with the company I took the course through. Trying another now since some positions opened up.

Heys guys I have a question. I know that DMU-COM requires 3 hours of biochem but I never took biochem while I was an undergrad. Will they reject my secondary? and If so should I take the class in a community college. thanks in advance

The fact that you haven't taken biochem, combined with the fact that they require biochem, means that you will have to take biochem before they let you go to school there.

If you plan on taking it, you will need to indicate this to them.

If you've already submitted your AACOMAS without indicating it, you should send them an e-mail.

If you do not plan on taking biochem, then you should withdraw your application.

Hey guys,

This doesn't make a difference. The fact that you did your clinicals means you completed the class requirements and you are eligible for the NREMT practical and written. You might as well not put it on at all because it will most likely not look any better. Remember, anyone can do the training, all you have to do is pay for it. On the other hand, if you actually use your license (and GET a license), it might be worth putting on your application, depending on what kind of experience you had. IMO, third rides are not either volunteering or shadowing.

This doesn't make a difference. The fact that you did your clinicals means you completed the class requirements and you are eligible for the NREMT practical and written. You might as well not put it on at all because it will most likely not look any better. Remember, anyone can do the training, all you have to do is pay for it. On the other hand, if you actually use your license (and GET a license), it might be worth putting on your application, depending on what kind of experience you had. IMO, third rides are not either volunteering or shadowing.

Well, I got my license and it has allowed me to volunteer at clinics (take vitals, measurements, etc) of patients. EMT training is similar in many ways to CNA, MOA, etc training so the license allowed me to do gain some clinical experience outside of the ambulance. I just wasn't sure how to really list it. I just put Student Rider, which in retrospect, probably looks dumb as you said. Oh well, I submitted and just waiting on the doc I shadowed to turn in the LOR I asked him to write.

Well, I got my license and it has allowed me to volunteer at clinics (take vitals, measurements, etc) of patients. EMT training is similar in many ways to CNA, MOA, etc training so the license allowed me to do gain some clinical experience outside of the ambulance. I just wasn't sure how to really list it. I just put Student Rider, which in retrospect, probably looks dumb as you said. Oh well, I submitted and just waiting on the doc I shadowed to turn in the LOR I asked him to write.

Ok, that's totally different and legit to put on your application. If you were volunteering at a clinic as an EMT you should include that. The adcoms will probably know that there is some clinical experience involved in the training, but in that situation they have to assume you were either doing very little or nothing at all. This is the way it was with my EMT-basic and EMT-intermediate training.

Submitted, however I completely missed a question and it defaulted to yes. I emailed them immediately afterward to explain my situation. I hope that I don't appear as an idiot.

I just got an email stating that my file is complete...30 days until I hear back!

:scared:

Hopefully they will have good news for me.

Anybody know if there is a website for status check?

Anyone else interviewing through the Fast Track system at DMU (i.e. get an interview with promise to provide LOR before the interview)? I am interviewing on Sept. 12th.

Anyone else interviewing through the Fast Track system at DMU (i.e. get an interview with promise to provide LOR before the interview)? I am interviewing on Sept. 12th.

i dunno if i was part of the fast track (i'm pretty sure my file was complete) but i'll see you on the 12th!!! I fly in on the 11th and leave on the 13th so i have that friday after the interview to do whatever. THere were no flights to leave that day cuz the timing is weird cuz i'm flying back to the west coats...... are you leavin that friday?

I am getting close to my "you will hear back within 30 days" deadline. I know it's early in the season, but that doesn't seem to bode well.

They emailed me saying I was on hold until they got my new scores. I had them submitted to AACOMAS on the 22nd or so. I haven't heard anything since then.

I expect a hold message as well. Oh well. I've got 4 other interviews to stress about at the moment.

i dunno if i was part of the fast track (i'm pretty sure my file was complete) but i'll see you on the 12th!!! I fly in on the 11th and leave on the 13th so i have that friday after the interview to do whatever. THere were no flights to leave that day cuz the timing is weird cuz i'm flying back to the west coats...... are you leavin that friday?

Hey did you play ball at Occidental? I saw your profile earlier and have heard of that college. Pretty neat. Yes, I am leaving that Friday at 7:00 pm. I was weary of the flight maybe being so close to interviews, but from the sound of it, I am ok. Anyways, I will see you at DMU. :luck:

I expect a hold message as well. Oh well. I've got 4 other interviews to stress about at the moment.

Have patience. I think mine was right at about 30 days and from what I have heard, thats pretty common. You have about a week to go based on your previous post.

Hey did you play ball at Occidental? I saw your profile earlier and have heard of that college. Pretty neat. Yes, I am leaving that Friday at 7:00 pm. I was weary of the flight maybe being so close to interviews, but from the sound of it, I am ok. Anyways, I will see you at DMU. :luck:

Yea I played football my freshman year...I had a blast and made some of my closest friends (most of whom still play). I just play rugby now, which is equally as fun if not more so.

Definitely see you there!!! We'll have to represent as collegiate student athletes..... its always a little annoying when people assume i am a "dumb jock." Even my gf admits to thinking that when she first met me, luckily she was pleasantly surprised!!

Does anyone have an interview at DMU on Sept 4th? It'd be nice if I could meet up with an SDNer while there.

Does anyone have an interview at DMU on Sept 4th? It'd be nice if I could meet up with an SDNer while there.

ayushman~

Hey there! I'll be there on Thursday the 4th! What part of Iowa are you from??

ayushman~

Hey there! I'll be there on Thursday the 4th! What part of Iowa are you from??

I'm from ames so I'll be driving into dmu that morning. Haven't seen too many other dmu intervews on sdn though. Wonder how many people are usually there.

Ryserr21,

I will be interviewing at DMU on Thursday September 25. I will fly in Wednesday the 24th and fly out Friday the 26th, because there are no flights after the 3:30 interview conclusion that would still allow me to check in the required 2 hours before departure.

The interview confirmation e-mail said something about more interview details to follow. Before I book a nonrefundable hotel room, I need to know if Des Moines suggests a home stay with one of their medical students. Otherwise, if I book the room and later have to refuse an offer of a homestay, it may seem rude and/or suggest lack of interest. Do you know anything about whether or not home stays will be offered?

Ryserr21,

I will be interviewing at DMU on Thursday September 25. I will fly in Wednesday the 24th and fly out Friday the 26th, because there are no flights after the 3:30 interview conclusion that would still allow me to check in the required 2 hours before departure.

The interview confirmation e-mail said something about more interview details to follow. Before I book a nonrefundable hotel room, I need to know if Des Moines suggests a home stay with one of their medical students. Otherwise, if I book the room and later have to refuse an offer of a homestay, it may seem rude and/or suggest lack of interest. Do you know anything about whether or not home stays will be offered?

Just a piece of info...if you need an early interview due to travel plans, they will give you one if you e-mail them. I am interviewing on the 11th and will be flying back out of omaha in the evening. I e-mailed them, and they said I would have an interview at 1:15 and be done by 2 p.m. Hope that helps!