DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my secondary yesterday and filled it out promptly. I submitted the application and have an AACOMAS fee waiver, and indicated this, but was still prompted to enter credit card information. I navigated away from the payment page and attempted to email them. Everytime I attempt to, the email gets sent back saying it was undeliverable. Does anyone know if there is anything I need to do so my application does not get put on hold?
Call the office...they are very friendly and will definitely be able to answer your question.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my secondary yesterday and filled it out promptly. I submitted the application and have an AACOMAS fee waiver, and indicated this, but was still prompted to enter credit card information. I navigated away from the payment page and attempted to email them. Everytime I attempt to, the email gets sent back saying it was undeliverable. Does anyone know if there is anything I need to do so my application does not get put on hold?

DMU is having major problems with some servers today, so that may be why you're having problems. Also, make sure you're e-mailing admissions directly.

On another note, 27 MCAT is going to be about average for DMU, so anyone worrying about MCAT can take that FWIW. TooHot may be able to give more definitive numbers in terms of the 2012 class profile. Also, medical experience, shadowing, extracurriculars are REQUIRED, so don't think that the type of extracurriculars are going to make or break you; everybody must have medical exprience and everybody is involved in something like research, volunteering, sports, clubs, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU is having major problems with some servers today, so that may be why you're having problems. Also, make sure you're e-mailing admissions directly.

On another note, 27 MCAT is going to be about average for DMU, so anyone worrying about MCAT can take that FWIW. TooHot may be able to give more definitive numbers in terms of the 2012 class profile. Also, medical experience, shadowing, extracurriculars are REQUIRED, so don't think that the type of extracurriculars are going to make or break you; everybody must have medical exprience and everybody is involved in something like research, volunteering, sports, clubs, etc...

They havent given us official numbers yet for the class of 2012, but when I asked the office assistant, she was pretty sure it was a tad over 27. Your MCAT is fine, gpa is a little low which could be a concern depending on what classes brought you down, do good in the interview and you should be fine. :thumbup:

p.s. We are very big on medical experience. broad exposure is good

I'm interviewing here next friday, the 26th. I am SOOOO excited! This is my top choice! My GPA and MCAT are both a little on the low side, but I think I have great medical exposure working in the ER, plus my dad lives in Iowa and my LOR is from a DMU grad. I hope those things work to my advantage.

Any advice on the interview from those that have already done so?? I've read the interview feedback, but anything besides that?? I'm looking forward to this! =)

I'm interviewing here next friday, the 26th. I am SOOOO excited! This is my top choice! My GPA and MCAT are both a little on the low side, but I think I have great medical exposure working in the ER, plus my dad lives in Iowa and my LOR is from a DMU grad. I hope those things work to my advantage.

Any advice on the interview from those that have already done so?? I've read the interview feedback, but anything besides that?? I'm looking forward to this! =)

So was mine!!! And thats actually the first thing we talked about. When she asked me "Why Des Moines" i mentioned how my first expsoure to shadowing a DO was an orthopod who graduated from DMU. I told her the name and she said "ohhh i remember him very well! How is he? Its great to see that he chose orthopedic surgey, i always knew he would do something special! Give him my best regards" So that was kind of a nice ice breaker!

Only advice is that there is nothin to be worried or nervous about. Its very laid back, everyone is friendly, and they just wanna learn about who you are! One thing that is cool is the first thing you do on the day is go into this conference room w/ all of the other applicants and the associate dean speaks to you, and then you go around the circle saying who you are, where you are from, and then something unique or interesting about yourself.......so you might think of something now :)

We had a dude who had been to an an NFL try out, someone who had eaten lunch with Bill Gates at his home, and another girl who had been recently attacked and biten by a bat that was living under her bed....she was going through rabies treatment!! Haha, so that was a nice way to get to know your fellow applicants and then also gives you funny stuff to talk about if you find out you have something in common with someone else.

So was mine!!! And thats actually the first thing we talked about. When she asked me "Why Des Moines" i mentioned how my first expsoure to shadowing a DO was an orthopod who graduated from DMU. I told her the name and she said "ohhh i remember him very well! How is he? Its great to see that he chose orthopedic surgey, i always knew he would do something special! Give him my best regards" So that was kind of a nice ice breaker!

Only advice is that there is nothin to be worried or nervous about. Its very laid back, everyone is friendly, and they just wanna learn about who you are! One thing that is cool is the first thing you do on the day is go into this conference room w/ all of the other applicants and the associate dean speaks to you, and then you go around the circle saying who you are, where you are from, and then something unique or interesting about yourself.......so you might think of something now :)

We had a dude who had been to an an NFL try out, someone who had eaten lunch with Bill Gates at his home, and another girl who had been recently attacked and biten by a bat that was living under her bed....she was going through rabies treatment!! Haha, so that was a nice way to get to know your fellow applicants and then also gives you funny stuff to talk about if you find out you have something in common with someone else.

I agree that the interview was laid back and an overall great experience. I interviewed on 9/11 and it was really nice and stress free. The interview itself was very laidback, the questions were not difficult, and if you answer their questions genuinely they will like it. They are very polite and respond to your questions as if it is an ongoing conversation....and it seems like it is over in no time. The entire day went really well, and the facilities are awesome. Good luck :luck:

has anyone heard back from DMU yet or is everyone just anxiously checking there email?

has anyone heard back from DMU yet or is everyone just anxiously checking there email?

I have not heard anything...just checking my email compulsively..I hope we find out today though.

Hopefully we hear tomorrow! (Those that interviewed on the 4th and 5th at least)

I'm sitting in my hotel room, I'm interviewing at DMU tomorrow morning! Thanks to those of you who have shared your experiences :)

Members don't see this ad :)
well its day 14 of the 10-14 day time period. seven87 - they told us to call if we hadn't heard by today, didn't they? anybody tried this yet?

I think I will call if I don't get the email this morning.

How long after your files being complete did you guys get the interview invite?

sent the supplemental in on july28th, was notified that it was complete on august 7th, interview offer on the 14th.

it was about three weeks for me...good luck!

I think we should all call at the same time..lol

Just called...probably early next week when we find out..bummer

I harassed them too (though they were very friendly about it). they said it normally takes 2 weeks but that they were "running just a bit behind". feel free to call back next week.

great school great program, and this is still an awfully fast turnaround time, but i want to know! and i think my co-workers might be catching on to this compulsive alt-tabbing between sdn and gmail...

I'll assure you in that the admissions department does not lose files or stack them in places that aren't seen or they wont forget to call/email you if you are accepted.

What is up with flights being super expensive to Des Moines?

What is up with flights being super expensive to Des Moines?

its not easy to get to, i'm assuming thats why. its very tiny, it took me maybe 3 minutes to get through security, and thats only cuz they were training a new employee and had a sign that said "sorry for delays, we are training a new employee."

its not easy to get to, i'm assuming thats why. its very tiny, it took me maybe 3 minutes to get through security, and thats only cuz they were training a new employee and had a sign that said "sorry for delays, we are training a new employee."

I guess so, I just felt like I bought a ticket to the other side of the world. My flight to Vegas (2x the distance) was 1/4th the price! Well good luck everyone, DMU is one of my top choices!

I'm interviewing on Friday and plan on flying into Omaha and driving the ~2 hours.

I''m interviewing on Friday too! But I forked out the extra dough and paid too much for a flight from the west coast. The school sounds really cool, and I'm getting the pre-interview jitters.

I''m interviewing on Friday too! But I forked out the extra dough and paid too much for a flight from the west coast. The school sounds really cool, and I'm getting the pre-interview jitters.

no need to have jitters! its a laid back day and everyone is very friendly. What part of the west coast? I'm from CA....if you are too, or you are from any place sunny, be prepared to answer why you would want to leave to a place like Iowa!! That was the first question I was asked.... good luck!

I wish it was some place sunny. I'm from eastern Washington (the desert), and living in Portland (the rainforest). Currently sunshine is rare, so I won't have a problem answering that question.

I wish it was some place sunny. I'm from eastern Washington (the desert), and living in Portland (the rainforest). Currently sunshine is rare, so I won't have a problem answering that question.

Haha! Portland hasn't been a rainforest lately...it maybe sprinkled yesterday. Just wanted to say Hi to a fellow Portlander!

Yet another week of waiting begins. DMU PLEASE ACCEPT ME!!!!!:love::love:

I'm interviewing on Friday and plan on flying into Omaha and driving the ~2 hours.

Awesome, see ya'll there and good luck!

no need to have jitters! its a laid back day and everyone is very friendly. What part of the west coast? I'm from CA....if you are too, or you are from any place sunny, be prepared to answer why you would want to leave to a place like Iowa!! That was the first question I was asked.... good luck!

What's the weather usually like in Iowa...rain?

What's the weather usually like in Iowa...rain?

yea....rain....except in the winter....when its 10 degrees below zero, it doesnt rain anymore.

And apparently its ridiculsouly hot in the summer times. Last spring, the entire state of iowa was basically under water, and they have occasional tornadoes (altho we were told there hadnt ever been one come throughg down town des moines). My student host was tellin me about how last winter his car was bascially a giant block of ice, and he had to chip away at the ice with a pick so that he could open his door......

Horrible weather, awesome school.

yea....rain....except in the winter....when its 10 degrees below zero, it doesnt rain anymore.

And apparently its ridiculsouly hot in the summer times. Last spring, the entire state of iowa was basically under water, and they have occasional tornadoes (altho we were told there hadnt ever been one come throughg down town des moines). My student host was tellin me about how last winter his car was bascially a giant block of ice, and he had to chip away at the ice with a pick so that he could open his door......

Actually, to set the record straight, the weather is quite nice in Iowa. Winter is cold and snowy, and this year was apparently a freak year where there was snow on the ground from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day. We also has a freak flood this summer. Other than that, yes, it's the midwest, so it is cold in the winter. The fall and spring are great - temperate with average precipitation. Summer can get hot and a bit humid, but nothing like the southeast. Summer temp has averaged in the high 80's (only 5 days over 95). Check the weather channel calendars to get an idea of past conditions for the year.

Haha, you are just biased coming from CA. Sounds like the Pacific NW, only colder in the winter? I could handle it, I think...

Actually, to set the record straight, the weather is quite nice in Iowa. Winter is cold and snowy, and this year was apparently a freak year where there was snow on the ground from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day. We also has a freak flood this summer. Other than that, yes, it's the midwest, so it is cold in the winter. The fall and spring are great - temperate with average precipitation. Summer can get hot and a bit humid, but nothing like the southeast. Summer temp has averaged in the high 80's (only 5 days over 95). Check the weather channel calendars to get an idea of past conditions for the year.

Thanks for your first-hand perspective. Now did this freak flood destroy cars? Or was it not that high lol. Is there lots of snow/ice in the winters?

i dont think any state is worse than the one im at undergraduate, Indiana. Well, maybe Ohio, the armpit of the country. I got an interview invite for the 27th of october last week! I really would love to go to DMU.

i dont think any state is worse than the one im at undergraduate, Indiana. Well, maybe Ohio, the armpit of the country. I got an interview invite for the 27th of october last week! I really would love to go to DMU.

Strange, I thought they were only interviewing on Thursdays/Fridays...

I remember living in Des Moines when my father was in medical school as DMU. The weather is cold in the winter and hot like woa in the summer..Kind of like here in Ohio. I agree, crappy weather (and flat featureless state) but great school.

Thanks for your first-hand perspective. Now did this freak flood destroy cars? Or was it not that high lol. Is there lots of snow/ice in the winters?

It was a sloooooow flooding process, so people were able to avoid it (or not) appropriately. Winter is cold and snowy, just like any other midwestern state, but it's not as bad as northern Minn. or northern Wisc.

Nobody should complain about Iowa winters....live in Northern Wisconsin and you are begging for spring in late may (especially if you live on lake superior like I did)...I have to say though I like winter..

I just scheduled my interview for 10/24...should I bring my winter parka? :p

Did you guys contact Danessa Vincent about getting a student host?

How are the sept 4 and 5 interview ppl holding up.... my fiancee said they better let us know soon cuz i am driving her nuts checking my email and SDN constantly.

pretty much just compulsively checking my email...sometimes staring at it at work...not being very productive...

i want to know soon...before i go completely crazy...I just loved the school and want to get in really bad

so for the secondary....did u guys do the optional essay?? what exactly do they expect us to put...why DO? bc its in the background check section so I'm not sure...

so for the secondary....did u guys do the optional essay?? what exactly do they expect us to put...why DO? bc its in the background check section so I'm not sure...

Optional essay??? I never even knew there was one haha. So obviously not and I got an interview.

How are the sept 4 and 5 interview ppl holding up.... my fiancee said they better let us know soon cuz i am driving her nuts checking my email and SDN constantly.

Dude....I'm glued to this laptop. They said 2-3 weeks. So it could be a couple more days (hopefully only a couple more hours).