DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just looked again, its definitely a toshiba.

where is the link to the computer that shows the model? i can't find it...
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

After reading about DMU, I really like this school, but most of the schools I'm applying to (or thinking or applying to) are on the East Coast. I live in CT and would like to practice in CT in the future, so would I be able to come back to my home state after going to DMU (if I was lucky enough to get in!)? I know Iowa is pretty far away so most of the rotation sites are probably not near CT/NY area?

Hey twocentnews,

I, like you, remember browsing through DMU's website and being very impressed. Then when I interviewed there, I was even more impressed. The facilities are incredible there. The thing that impressed me the most, however, were the people.

My friend who is a current student at DMU took me around the school the night before my interview. All of the students I met were incredibly nice, and everyone of them talked about how cooperative the student body is. Students will often posts study guides that they have made so that all of the other students can use them.

When my friend took me to the sim lab, we ran into one of the guys who runs it. He stopped and talked to us for 30 minutes. My friend says that this was typical of the faculty at DMU. They are very engaging and want connect with students and help them succeed.

To answer your question, yes you can practice in CT after you graduate. After you graduate from any medical school and then complete residency, you can pretty much practice in any region of the US that you want. Also, I know that right now DMU has some rotation sites closer to CT. I think there are some in Ohio and MI and some other places. But I believe that DMU wants to keep more people closer to Des Moines by the time you would start rotations. One thing you should know is that DMU gives you a butt load of electives. In your third year, I think you get like 8 weeks of electives. Then in the fourth year, all but 8 weeks are electives. That means that you can rotate where ever you want (provided that the hospital/clinic will let you rotate there). So if you plan things carefully, I bet you could do a lot of your rotations in CT during your fourth year.

Good luck and post anymore questions you have about DMU!

where is the link to the computer that shows the model? i can't find it...
thanks!

It's on the far right side of the portal that has all of the announcemnts in yellow. Click on the link towards the bottom of the announcemtns that says "Computer notebook distribution begins July 27." Looks like a pretty cool laptop!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when we get assigned our big sibling? I would think that it would be very soon. Thanks!

Does anybody know when we get assigned our big sibling? I would think that it would be very soon. Thanks!

ooh that sounds fun. I had one of those in like 2nd grade. I wonder if I will get an attractive female as my sibling :xf::love::rolleyes:

Just so everyone knows, they just posted a huge checklist of stuff to do before orientation on the portal. And they started awarding student aid. :D

Hey guys, I'll be arriving in Des Moines around the 23/24. Does anyone know of any plans to meet up as a group for drinks or anything? I'd love to get something together. Anyone interested?

Jeremy

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking to go with the efficiency/1 BR at Windsor Terrace Apartment this Fall. However, I can't seem to find any picture of it online. Can someone give me a head up/ review what it's like at Windsor? Thank you.

Hey guys, I'll be arriving in Des Moines around the 23/24. Does anyone know of any plans to meet up as a group for drinks or anything? I'd love to get something together. Anyone interested?

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy, count me in. A few people on here have talked about getting together before orientation. I was thinking maybe we could all get together either on the 31st or Aug 1. I figured that would give us all time to get settled in. Also, BabyKangaroo isn't getting there until the 31st.

What does everybody think? Is that a good time? I don't really know much about Des Moines, so if anyone knows of any good places to go, let us know. I'm not on facebook yet (I know...I'm a loser), so when we get plans settled, could someone post it on DMU 13's facebook page?

Hey Jeremy, count me in. A few people on here have talked about getting together before orientation. I was thinking maybe we could all get together either on the 31st or Aug 1. I figured that would give us all time to get settled in. Also, BabyKangaroo isn't getting there until the 31st.

What does everybody think? Is that a good time? I don't really know much about Des Moines, so if anyone knows of any good places to go, let us know. I'm not on facebook yet (I know...I'm a loser), so when we get plans settled, could someone post it on DMU 13's facebook page?

Heyyy everyone! I am moving out to Des Moines this Friday and I am sooo excited. I've got an apartment out in west Des Moines, anyone else in that area?? We should all definitely have a get together right before orientation! See you all in a couple weeks!!!

Hey, I'm applying to DMU this year and have an interview scheduled already. I saw in this thread that scholarships are automatically considered for people with a GPA over 3.7 and MCAT over 30. Does anyone know if they sometimes give scholarships to people with a 29 MCAT? I hate the cursed 29....so close to the 30. haha

Hey, I'm applying to DMU this year and have an interview scheduled already. I saw in this thread that scholarships are automatically considered for people with a GPA over 3.7 and MCAT over 30. Does anyone know if they sometimes give scholarships to people with a 29 MCAT? I hate the cursed 29....so close to the 30. haha

I dunno dude..I think they are pretty rigid. It couldn't hurt to email admissions and ask though, maybe they'll remember you when selection time rolls around.

I had your stats and I didn't get the scholarship. 30 mcat is pretty rigid as stated above. The stats at DMU are rising quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno dude..I think they are pretty rigid. It couldn't hurt to email admissions and ask though, maybe they'll remember you when selection time rolls around.

I had your stats and I didn't get the scholarship. 30 mcat is pretty rigid as stated above. The stats at DMU are rising quickly.

Hm, good to know, thanks! I guess they probably get enough people with 30+ MCATs and 3.7+ gpa's to give them to. Maybe that's something I can ask about at the interview.

did any of you guys enroll for the insurance yet??? If so, did you guys get an option to pay by credit card??

Gah I just got accepted of the waitlist. I have to make my decision by 10am tmr! this is nuts.

For those already accepted is there a link to the orientation schedule? Also when is the white coat ceremony?

I already have a spot at KCOM and am waitlisted at two of my top choices that start after DMU. I really like DMU a lot when I interviewed but it's so rushed I'd have to get there in the next few days to find an apartment etc.

Gah I just got accepted of the waitlist. I have to make my decision by 10am tmr! this is nuts.

For those already accepted is there a link to the orientation schedule? Also when is the white coat ceremony?

I already have a spot at KCOM and am waitlisted at two of my top choices that start after DMU. I really like DMU a lot when I interviewed but it's so rushed I'd have to get there in the next few days to find an apartment etc.

orientation
August 4-7

White coat
August 21

orientation
August 4-7

White coat
August 21

Thank you!

Ok so I just paid the seat deposit...Now I just have to figure out how/when I'm moving...and where I am moving to!

Thank you!

Ok so I just paid the seat deposit...Now I just have to figure out how/when I'm moving...and where I am moving to!

Congrats lithium thats awesome!! I dunno if this helps, or what your price range is, but I live out in west des moines at West Glen Town Center in a studio. They are all brand new and include most utilities in the price, and I know they have open units to rent. Thought I'd let you know since you probably need to find a decent place fast! Welcome to the class! :thumbup:

Thank You Megan! Is it just called West Glen Town Center apartments? Is it close to school? I really don't know anything about the area.

Thank You Megan! Is it just called West Glen Town Center apartments? Is it close to school? I really don't know anything about the area.

West Des Moines would be about a 10 min. commute, give or take. Not too bad of a drive at all. If they have an open spot I'd take it..it might be hard to find something closer to campus this close to orientation.

GL!!

PM me if you have any issues when you get out here...I do have a couch :laugh:

Congratulations! That's awesome! If you're having trouble finding a place, you can always check out craigslist. That's where I found my apt. I just pulled up mapquest beside craigslist and found one that's less than five minutes away.

yep it is just called west glen town center www.westglentowncenter.com

I know that they have keystone studios open for rent, and they have open houses every weekend! Good Luck!

On another note, do we get PDA's or are we just supposed to buy them on our own?

I know that they have keystone studios open for rent, and they have open houses every weekend! Good Luck!

On another note, do we get PDA's or are we just supposed to buy them on our own?

I pretty sure they are included in our tution. But I don't think we get them until the start of next year (or maybe it's the start of 3rd year).

I think they are for rotations

They have those nifty programs that tell you all the symptoms and treatments about every disease ever and all the drug info. Pretty sweet.

so 3rd year I'd imagine we pick them up

ok, cool thanks guys! Are most of you in town already??

ok, cool thanks guys! Are most of you in town already??

Yeah, I'm in town. Still getting everything in my apt organized. I'm going to try to go to the thing at Java Joe's tonight. Anyone else going?

All of us SDN's should get together this weekend. How does Sat night sound? Anyone interested?

Yeah, I'm in town. Still getting everything in my apt organized. I'm going to try to go to the thing at Java Joe's tonight. Anyone else going?

All of us SDN's should get together this weekend. How does Sat night sound? Anyone interested?

Saturday night couuuld work..although Im probably gonna be completely drained from tubing. We could all go to that..I don't know if you guys have heard about it, but its on facebook. A bunch of students are going. Would sunday night work?

Wooooooo! Yay for tubing! So excited... Everyone should go!

Saturday night couuuld work..although Im probably gonna be completely drained from tubing. We could all go to that..I don't know if you guys have heard about it, but its on facebook. A bunch of students are going. Would sunday night work?

Tubing sounds really fun, but I don't think I can go. I ran out of contacts and only have glasses right now. I'd be screwed if something happened to them.
But yeah, lets all get together Sunday night for a couple of drinks or something. I'm going to try to find out where a good and relatively cheap bar or restaurant is, and I'll post it tomorrow. Or if anyone already knows a good place, post that.
Hope you guys have fun tubing tomorrow!

Tubing sounds really fun, but I don't think I can go. I ran out of contacts and only have glasses right now. I'd be screwed if something happened to them.
But yeah, lets all get together Sunday night for a couple of drinks or something. I'm going to try to find out where a good and relatively cheap bar or restaurant is, and I'll post it tomorrow. Or if anyone already knows a good place, post that.
Hope you guys have fun tubing tomorrow!

duuuude. That has been a nightmare of mine as a contact user for a long time. Get an appt with your new cheap eye insurance (via DMU ;))

We could go to Wellman's...PM me your FB profile. We'll figure something out! We need to make this happen!

actually, you know what, just PM me your phone #. That will make things waaaay easier ;)

PS, the winks aren't creeper winks. Lol. haha.

duuuude. That has been a nightmare of mine as a contact user for a long time. Get an appt with your new cheap eye insurance (via DMU ;))

We could go to Wellman's...PM me your FB profile. We'll figure something out! We need to make this happen!

actually, you know what, just PM me your phone #. That will make things waaaay easier ;)

PS, the winks aren't creeper winks. Lol. haha.

I just sent you a PM.

Wellman's sounds good. Let's all go there. I guess once we get the details figured out, we'll post them on here. BabyKangaroo, Megan you guys still in? Anyone else?

And yeah, not having contacts reeeeeeeaaaaally sucks! I'm supposed to get some more next week. Can't wait!

Hey guys,

If you're in the DMU c/o 2013 group on facebook than you have already gotten this message from my roommate, Michael, but if not, the two of us are going down to Wellman's Pub on Ingersoll tonight around 9:30pm for drinks.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Jeremy

Hey guys,

If you're in the DMU c/o 2013 group on facebook than you have already gotten this message from my roommate, Michael, but if not, the two of us are going down to Wellman's Pub on Ingersoll tonight around 9:30pm for drinks.

Hope to meet some of you there.

Jeremy

Sweet. See you there.

I've already graduated from college spring 2008 and am interested in applying to DMU. I never took a biochem course. But in the optional essay, is it ok to write that I will take a summer course for it if I am accepted? Right now I work full time doing research and with applications I don't have time at the moment to take any courses. Any help or ideas? Thanks :)

just submitted my secondary with the required LORs.

did anyone else send in additional LORs beyond what was required? i have another physician MD letter which is strong. i'd like to submit it, what do you guys think?

Is it possible to get accepted here without all the required LORs? I have a DO letter, MD letter, and 2 from science proffs (but 1 of my science LORs is from a physical anthro proff, and it specifically says on their website that anthro isn't considered a "hard" science course). I havn't sent in a secondary here yet because I'm not sure if I even have a chance of getting in because of the LOR requirments. Aside from the LORs, I think I ought to have a good chance based on my numbers...

just submitted my secondary with the required LORs.

did anyone else send in additional LORs beyond what was required? i have another physician MD letter which is strong. i'd like to submit it, what do you guys think?

Hey Grey Wind,

I'm a first year at DMU. I sent in an extra MD letter last year when I applied. If your MD letter is strong, then definitely send it in!

Also, not sure if you know this, but there is a 2009-2010 DMU forum now. You might want to check it out. If you ever have any questions specific about DMU or anything else, post them or shoot me a pm.

Is it possible to get accepted here without all the required LORs? I have a DO letter, MD letter, and 2 from science proffs (but 1 of my science LORs is from a physical anthro proff, and it specifically says on their website that anthro isn't considered a "hard" science course). I havn't sent in a secondary here yet because I'm not sure if I even have a chance of getting in because of the LOR requirments. Aside from the LORs, I think I ought to have a good chance based on my numbers...

Not exactly sure about this one, but I'd think that you are going to have to get another science LOR. Try to get one. If there isn't any other sci professors who know you well, try to get one from a prof who you did well in their class. They can look at their records and see that you did well and write you a letter based on that. Just explain your situation to them. Most profs know that many students need LORs, so you'll find a lot of willing to help. If the first prof you go to tells you no, then don't be discouraged and just go to another one. Also, I'd say that you can send in the phy anthro letter too.

Hey Grey Wind,

I'm a first year at DMU. I sent in an extra MD letter last year when I applied. If your MD letter is strong, then definitely send it in!

Also, not sure if you know this, but there is a 2009-2010 DMU forum now. You might want to check it out. If you ever have any questions specific about DMU or anything else, post them or shoot me a pm.

ah, must have clicked on the wrong one! thanks for the reply nonetheless. :thumbup:

Well, originally i wasn't going to apply to DMU because I thought I wanted to stay in state. However, I am now considering this option and just submitted my secondary(extremely late I know). I shadowed a D.O. this past christmas break and have now asked him to write my exposure letter. Will they send out interview invites before they have the med exposure letter?

Besides this, I've got to ask "What are my chances of acceptance"

Quick Stats: GPA 4.0 MCAT 27
5 semesters of cancer therapy research, exec board and V.P. of med organization, strong participation in 2 other organizations on campus. A good amount of other EC's but those are the heavy hitters i'd say.

I appreciate any insights!