-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by seap3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone else scheduled for the upcoming November 18th interview?
I'll be there! Getting excited/nervous!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else scheduled for the upcoming November 18th interview?
I'll be there too! Flying from CA Wednesday afternoon, looks like there is going to be some snow.
I'll be there too! Flying from CA Wednesday afternoon, looks like there is going to be some snow.
Yup I'll be flying out from San Diego, CA Wednesday morning....I HOPE there is snow!
Yup I'll be flying out from San Diego, CA Wednesday morning....I HOPE there is snow!
Will snow affect flights?
Will snow affect flights?
I hope not...I plan to get to LAX really early just in case.
Anyone else scheduled for the upcoming November 18th interview?
I'm driving from Wisconsin for the interview date on the 19th! Is anyone doing anything on the night of the 18th?
just got an interview invite here! very, very, VERY excited!
I'm driving from Wisconsin for the interview date on the 19th! Is anyone doing anything on the night of the 18th?
Most likely! Celebrating a great day!
Most likely! Celebrating a great day!
It would be pretty sweet if a group of us interviewees got together the evening of the 18th 👍! I have absolutely nothing to do!
It would be pretty sweet if a group of us interviewees got together the evening of the 18th 👍! I have absolutely nothing to do!
I'm in!
Anyone know of a good place to meet up?
I just did a quick search via Google Maps and found Wellmans Pub and Rooftop. It seems like it's only couple block from the DMU campus. Just a suggestion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im interviewing on December 9th. anyone else joining me??
Anyone know of a good place to meet up?
When I interviewed there, I stayed at the Marriott downtown, and a few blocks from there was a place called Legends Sports Bar. Upstairs from there, there is some sort of club where many good looking individuals looked to be having a good time (I'm not into that scene, but many are). The food was decent, and you could watch any game on the planet.
There was also an Irish pub between Legends and the hotel, if Guinness and Corned Beef and Cabbage are your thing... 🙂
If any of you are staying at a hotel near the airport, there is an EXCELLENT Italian restaurant on Fleur Drive between McKinley and Watrous Ave's called Mezzodi's (Google it).
Good luck in your interviews.
Good luck in your interviews.
I just did a quick search via Google Maps and found Wellmans Pub and Rooftop. It seems like it's only couple block from the DMU campus. Just a suggestion.
Yes there is a Wellmans Pub right by campus, and there Wellmans Pub and Rooftop but is way out in West Des Moines in an area called West Glen. The one out west is a lot nicer but if you guys are staying closer to the airport or even downtown the Wellmans near campus (on Ingersol ave) is closer.
The downtown area (Court Ave) has a lot of other nice places to grab a beer.
I was straight-up rejected. I interviewed October 28th.
So sorry to hear that🙁, did they tell you why?
I interviewed at DMU in November and was completely impressed with the organization and professionalism of not only the professors, but the staff and the students as well. The facilities are extraordinary, and the opportunities for good rotations and residencies seem abundant. The surgical skills lab and simulation labs just go beyond what I've seen up to this point. And the fact that the presentation of all these items during the tour and interview was so seamlessly organized speaks volumes about the readiness of the university to receive YOU as a student. They obviously believe the same thing that I do: the more you see and know about the university, the better decision you can make. DMU pretty much says this through their presentation: "Here is what we have to offer. If you think you fit in, let us know!"
In fact, that is one thing I would emphasize to future interviewees (and it is maybe something I did not communicate clearly enough in my own interview..who knows?): if you see something in the DMU presentation that is different than your other experiences/interviews up to that point, let the interviewers know how it is different and emphasize how and why you want that. I don't know if I'll be accepted here or not, but I came away from interview day with a great feeling about the university.
Some more random thoughts: the campus is in a really nice area. Had a chance to venture around the suburbs (Pella, Panora, etc.). It is much prettier than people would think. In fact, I played 2 scenic golf courses while I was there. Also, the capitol building is amazing. And...there are a lot of running trails and runners in the area...I love to run, and it surprised me to see so many runners there.
In fact, that is one thing I would emphasize to future interviewees (and it is maybe something I did not communicate clearly enough in my own interview..who knows?): if you see something in the DMU presentation that is different than your other experiences/interviews up to that point, let the interviewers know how it is different and emphasize how and why you want that. I don't know if I'll be accepted here or not, but I came away from interview day with a great feeling about the university.
Some more random thoughts: the campus is in a really nice area. Had a chance to venture around the suburbs (Pella, Panora, etc.). It is much prettier than people would think. In fact, I played 2 scenic golf courses while I was there. Also, the capitol building is amazing. And...there are a lot of running trails and runners in the area...I love to run, and it surprised me to see so many runners there.
I interviewed at DMU in November and was completely impressed with the organization and professionalism of not only the professors, but the staff and the students as well. The facilities are extraordinary, and the opportunities for good rotations and residencies seem abundant. The surgical skills lab and simulation labs just go beyond what I've seen up to this point. And the fact that the presentation of all these items during the tour and interview was so seamlessly organized speaks volumes about the readiness of the university to receive YOU as a student. They obviously believe the same thing that I do: the more you see and know about the university, the better decision you can make. DMU pretty much says this through their presentation: "Here is what we have to offer. If you think you fit in, let us know!"
In fact, that is one thing I would emphasize to future interviewees (and it is maybe something I did not communicate clearly enough in my own interview..who knows?): if you see something in the DMU presentation that is different than your other experiences/interviews up to that point, let the interviewers know how it is different and emphasize how and why you want that. I don't know if I'll be accepted here or not, but I came away from interview day with a great feeling about the university.
Some more random thoughts: the campus is in a really nice area. Had a chance to venture around the suburbs (Pella, Panora, etc.). It is much prettier than people would think. In fact, I played 2 scenic golf courses while I was there. Also, the capitol building is amazing. And...there are a lot of running trails and runners in the area...I love to run, and it surprised me to see so many runners there.
thanks for this- glad you had a good experience! Nice to hear some info about the school before interviewing. good luck!!
If any of you are staying at a hotel near the airport, there is an EXCELLENT Italian restaurant on Fleur Drive between McKinley and Watrous Ave's called Mezzodi's (Google it).
Good luck in your interviews.
We went there. I thought the building had a sort of musty smell, but the food and service were really good.
Accepted late September
In addition to being a great school, DMU definitely has impressed me with their attention to detail and their respect and dedication to applicants, even before they have become confirmed future students. As a re-applicant in general (first time DMU applicant), I have to say that many admissions offices are dismissive or generally not helpful but DMU has been so attentive, which I really appreciate. I got a personal email from one of my interviewers saying he was glad to see that I was accepted, as well as many updates from admissions. So refreshing. And I have to say it was the most pleasant/fun (!) interview. Of course I am still undecided on where to attend but DMU definitely has many positives regardless. Upcoming interviewees - good luck and have a good time!
In addition to being a great school, DMU definitely has impressed me with their attention to detail and their respect and dedication to applicants, even before they have become confirmed future students. As a re-applicant in general (first time DMU applicant), I have to say that many admissions offices are dismissive or generally not helpful but DMU has been so attentive, which I really appreciate. I got a personal email from one of my interviewers saying he was glad to see that I was accepted, as well as many updates from admissions. So refreshing. And I have to say it was the most pleasant/fun (!) interview. Of course I am still undecided on where to attend but DMU definitely has many positives regardless. Upcoming interviewees - good luck and have a good time!
I'm staying downtown at the Renaissance Savery (over 50% off as a DMU interviewee 😀) , but I am game to go anywhere 👍
Does anyone know what they use to decide who to offer scholarships too? Is it need based or based on your stats? I know they give 25, 50, and 100% scholarships but I don't know my chances of getting one since I don't know what criteria they use.
Has anyone submitted their deposit yet? I'm so happy they split it up. Makes it a lot easier.
Plz msg me if you guys get together, I have a car and am at the Holiday Inn!
Msg me too. See you'll tomorrow!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a cutoff for stats: 30+ MCAT and 3.7+ sGPA (page 71)Does anyone know what they use to decide who to offer scholarships too? Is it need based or based on your stats? I know they give 25, 50, and 100% scholarships but I don't know my chances of getting one since I don't know what criteria they use.
www.dmu.edu/catalog/2010-2012/Catalog%2010-12.pdf
(you might have to copy-paste the link)
After the stats I'm not sure what they go by
There is a cutoff for stats: 30+ MCAT and 3.7+ sGPA (page 71)
www.dmu.edu/catalog/2010-2012/Catalog%2010-12.pdf
(you might have to copy-paste the link)
After the stats I'm not sure what they go by
Yeah, you do have to copy and paste. Thanks for the info! It is interesting how the document states those are the "minimum requirements", but then it later states that individuals accepted with those statistics are "automatically considered", leaving some room for play.

Does it sound good then going to Court Avenue? Starting at Legends 😀? What time works well for all of you? I'll PM yous guys (in my Wiscansin Yooper/Upper peninsula accent)
When I interviewed there, I stayed at the Marriott downtown, and a few blocks from there was a place called Legends Sports Bar. Upstairs from there, there is some sort of club where many good looking individuals looked to be having a good time (I'm not into that scene, but many are). The food was decent, and you could watch any game on the planet.
There was also an Irish pub between Legends and the hotel, if Guinness and Corned Beef and Cabbage are your thing... 🙂
Yes there is a Wellmans Pub right by campus, and there Wellmans Pub and Rooftop but is way out in West Des Moines in an area called West Glen. The one out west is a lot nicer but if you guys are staying closer to the airport or even downtown the Wellmans near campus (on Ingersol ave) is closer.
The downtown area (Court Ave) has a lot of other nice places to grab a beer.
Yeah, you do have to copy and paste. Thanks for the info! It is interesting how the document states those are the "minimum requirements", but then it later states that individuals accepted with those statistics are "automatically considered", leaving some room for play.![]()
I don't think that they were trying to be sneaky. I think they're saying that everyone accepted to DMU with a 30+ and 3.7+ is eligible for the scholarship and is automatically considered, but not everyone gets one. that would be nice!
So sorry to hear that🙁, did they tell you why?
No, I only received the email. Perhaps they will deliver something more formal via snail mail.
Hey, if anyone else still in Des moines wanted to meet up with the us, look for the group of pre-med nerds at 1900 in Legends American Grill downtown on Court Avenue!
Below, I have posted the address:
216 Court Avenue, Des Moines, IA
Below, I have posted the address:
216 Court Avenue, Des Moines, IA
Interview experience is terrific! You have nothing to worry about, just enjoy it all and take everything in!
we told you so...😛
Welp, just dished out $500. I won't hear back from my other interviews until after December 15th. Nature of the beast I guess.
I just paid my deposit. It was a hard decision, but I feel confident DMU will be a great school.
See everyone next summer. 🙂
See everyone next summer. 🙂
I'll be sending my deposit in with my next paycheck 🙂
Me too!
+1. Charge it.
I just paid my deposit. It was a hard decision, but I feel confident DMU will be a great school.
See everyone next summer. 🙂
I will wait a little bit longer to turn in my seat deposit..But I'm 90% certain that I will be at DMU next year..:]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will wait a little bit longer to turn in my seat deposit..But I'm 90% certain that I will be at DMU next year..:]
awesome! i'll pay the deposit around December 5th or something after I get my next paycheck. I spent this week's on buying the new macbook air. Great to hear from future classmates!
Just paid my deposit! Way excited to meet you guys next year! Thanks for your advice mmikey!!
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted.
I have an interview scheduled at DMU but its not until late January.
If anyone who has an earlier interview scheduled is planning on withdrawing their app of canceling their interview, PLEASE let me know-I would love to get an earlier interview. Thanks.
I have an interview scheduled at DMU but its not until late January.
If anyone who has an earlier interview scheduled is planning on withdrawing their app of canceling their interview, PLEASE let me know-I would love to get an earlier interview. Thanks.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 177
- Views
- 61K
- Replies
- 601
- Views
- 160K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 183
- Views
- 32K