DMU Podiatry and Laptops?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi, I want to make an argument for going paperless at my school, and I know that DMU students get laptops before they begin school. If any of you are currently DMU students, I was wondering if everyone brings them to class and actually use them to take notes? I also want to know if anyone chooses to use printed lecture notes anyway? Most of the students at my school use printed lecture notes but I feel like with the technology available, it is wasteful to use paper as a medium to look at information when a computer screen is just as sufficient and dynamic, and people should certainly type faster than they can write.

Members don't see this ad.

Good thing this isn't Sparta...I would have been tossed aside with all the other babies who couldn't type as fast as they write. What about students who learn through writing/re-writing lecture notes? Screw it, go green or go home!

I live and die by my computer. It really depends on the class on how much you will use paperless notes or print paper versions. I have tried almost everything and if really just comes down to the class and what makes studying easiest.

The biggest pro about having comptuers provided by school is that when anything goes wrong they fix it for free and give you a spare while yours is being fixed. After going through multiple fixes I am greatful for this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing this isn't Sparta...I would have been tossed aside with all the other babies who couldn't type as fast as they write. What about students who learn through writing/re-writing lecture notes? Screw it, go green or go home!

Its like dtrack was molded in my image (except with with more hair, less intelligence and less ridculously-goodlookingness)

I would say 90 percent of the students at DMU bring their laptops. I am not one of them. I find them to be a huge distraction for me personally, but I sit in the back and see everyones screens, and I would venture to guess that 90 percent have their screens on the lecture. I think they are incredibly inefficent to take notes on during lecture. I personally feel you should sit back, take everything in and pay attention, then go home, watch them again and then take notes. That being said, having school issued laptops is incredibly usefull.
First, I am somewhat unorganized, and having the my schedule done for me and put into outlook is great.
B, like the previous poster said, if there are any problems, ITS takes care of them.
Tres, I like the tablet feature. Most of the teachers have slideshows for each lecture, which I dont really care about. I like their handouts, which are more complete. I put them into OneNote, and then use the highlighting feature and go through the handout multiple times. That being said, I am old-fashioned and a huge proponent of taking the time to take notes yourself from lecture. You combine seeing the material, listening to it and then writing it down (and seeing it again, as well as in your own words). Triple score.
We get 12000 "free" pages per year. I know some people who have used them all up first semester. I have used up 146 pages to date.

Also, I know people on here talk about DMU's laptops, but I also want to point out the Judy drive. It is a giant online collection of material from previous years. Basically students have created their own notes, answered objectives, made study guides, etc... for all the classes. You have years worth of other students resources at your fingertips. Once again, I personally don't use them (nor do I use notepool because I only trust myself to take the proper, relevant notes from lecture) but I know of lots of students who do.

Edit: I used to sit in the back and see everyone's screens. This semester, I have not been to a single lecture. ( I am close to the top of my class). We don't have attendance or quizes for any lectures this semester. I think (purely hearsay) that this may change in the future, since it is disrespectful for 50 out of 300 students to be at any give lecture this semester.

Last edited:
Post number three today, none of which contribute anything valuable to the forum...

air bud said:
Its like dtrack was molded in my image (except with with more hair, less intelligence and less ridculously-goodlookingness)

1) Bald is beautiful, which would explain number 3
2) If I was less intelligent I would have gone to Scholl, so I guess I'm just as edumacated as you and other products of the Iowa Public Education system
3) I'll give you this one...see #1

...I want to make an argument for going paperless at my school...

... it is wasteful to use paper as a medium to look at information when a computer screen is just as sufficient and dynamic, and people should certainly type faster than they can write...
I would disagree here.

I think that writing out key points in your own words and drawing diagrams, pictures, charts, etc is key to retention. Typing might work, but you can't exactly type out a physio hormone cascade or a nerve or circulation tree. Scientific subjects, surgery and anatomy specifically, are very visual. There's a reason the textbooks (atlases usually) are loaded with pictures... and often videos.

A notebook computer might be able to function in that regard, but there's always the old standby: paper and pen. I used a PDA for a semester or two with the handwriting-to-text function for note taking, but I reverted to paper and pen after a bit. I guess it's a matter of personal learning style, but I think that re-writing (not so much typing) lecture highlights and outlining key diagram important to retention and understanding. JMO

Yea when you're at home, I prefer drawing out things than typing diagrams, but what I'm really getting at is that printing out lecture notes to use DURING lecture is not as productive and green as bringing a laptop to class. For those of you at DMU, do you know when did the school start providing laptops? And how did they get to that point? I don't see my school doing this any time soon because they seem broke and old-fashioned.