DMU................Self-proclaimed Super Geniuses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Portier, congrats on portsmouth and keep your hands off of babyruth, if she ever leaves her man I've got dibbs.

NO freaking way....she's like one of the few sane women on the planet...and she's finer than frog hair.

Members don't see this ad.

Docgeorge, are you doing the couple's match? East coast, eh?

Couples for Osteo only, and only for one program. But I have to tell you what just happened, here I am on my first day of doing a vascular rotation at Cinci. I'm getting ready to call it a night here in my hotel room and guess who just paged me...the program director for Vascular Surg. He asked me how my day went and how I am getting along with the residents and fellows and to make sure that I had enough meal tickets.

They really know how to make a guy feel wanted here.

Members don't see this ad :)
NO freaking way....she's like one of the few sane women on the planet...and she's finer than frog hair.

Lets be realistic here...you're going to be off on a ship someplace or you'll be cuddling with some jarhead. I on the otherhand will be here and able to keep her warm and tosty on those cold nights...

If you really care about her you'll let me have her.

Lets be realistic here...you're going to be off on a ship someplace or you'll be cuddling with some jarhead. I on the otherhand will be here and able to keep her warm and tosty on those cold nights...

If you really care about her you'll let me have her.

But you smell like garlic.

what sucks is when you follow up with programs and they say yeah we thought you had a spot locked up so we already did our rank list differently than if we would have known that info.............I may as well get ready to find an intern spot somewhere.

When it comes for interviews you need to look out for yourself and know programs tell you what you want to hear just like you tell them what they want to hear............trust no one............mostly like anything else in medicine.

What game console should I get to play games on?

PS3? Wii? Xbox 360?

Wii is awesome.

I heard unless you have an HDtv that ps3 is a waste of money.....on that note like I said my ma got me one so when I get home I"ll check it out. I think your best bet is xbox360 because it has the most games and is the easiest to get right now.

Deeps thoughts:

"I bet when you drive over the edge of a cliff you still try to pump the breaks"

:laugh:

Oh and I looked we only have like 14 or 13 weeks left or something rediculous.

what sucks is when you follow up with programs and they say yeah we thought you had a spot locked up so we already did our rank list differently than if we would have known that info.............I may as well get ready to find an intern spot somewhere.

When it comes for interviews you need to look out for yourself and know programs tell you what you want to hear just like you tell them what they want to hear............trust no one............mostly like anything else in medicine.
And that's why I don't like the osteo match. I'd rather go through the actual match process, it's fair for everybody, and you don't have to worry about how many spots have already been taken. Granted, it happens in the MD world too with us independent applicants, but at a much smaller scale.

Who knows cremaster, maybe you'll get matched somewhere after all. If they haven't signed all their spots away, you still have a chance.

The PE is piece of cake. The cases are'nt even half as complicated as Wattleworths. You gotta be ready to write fast though. You cant write like we did in SPALS...not enough time. Make it more like a surgical H&P. Lucky definately go check out the Mutter museam in Philly they have some crazy **** in there.

Portier, congrats on portsmouth and keep your hands off of babyruth, if she ever leaves her man I've got dibbs.

the head diaper daddy:eek:

I must disagree, when doing the write ups I kept finishing the writing portion before the bell would go off for the exam portion. I was so frustrated sitting and waiting to move on to the next patient, that was definitely the worst part. That whole test could be done in about 2-3 hours, instead it takes all fricking day. Definitely go to the website and read the sample note and watch the video, even though they will re-show the video on the day of.

I've got my big interview on Friday (IU)! I agree that the match is underhanded. You definitely need to take attendings comments with a grain of salt. It doesn't cost them anything to say that the love you and they are going to rank you high. They want you to rank them high so they can fill all their spots with their best applicants.

Dmak, were you putting psych in the category of needing to take USMLE or not needing to? I didn't take it and I got a lot of interviews. I hear it's getting more competitive due to lifestyle stuff, but in recent years it hasn't been too bad.

And that's why I don't like the osteo match. I'd rather go through the actual match process, it's fair for everybody, and you don't have to worry about how many spots have already been taken. Granted, it happens in the MD world too with us independent applicants, but at a much smaller scale.

Who knows cremaster, maybe you'll get matched somewhere after all. If they haven't signed all their spots away, you still have a chance.

The problem is that I know most programs have handed them out :( TY for me I guess.............

Members don't see this ad :)
2 more posts bernard until 1,000 you sexy hunk of southern fried chicken

We're going to San Francisco on Sunday! Time to gain 10 lbs...

On Saturday, I'm off to Louisiana to eat fried swamp critters and fly remote controlled helicopters indoors.

Please forward all my mail to:

Bernard-Co#ktaker
111 Gator Way
Louisiana Swamp

or

The Crawfish Queen (shrimpboat)

We had some expensive fried oysters at some swank joint in town, and we thought yours were much better, swampboy.

I'm flying home friday for 6 days sans the fiance due to her only getting one day off of work. I am excited though since I haven't been home for more than 2 days in like 5 months.:thumbup:

We had some expensive fried oysters at some swank joint in town, and we thought yours were much better, swampboy.

My sister's father in law likes me. I don't know if it's my crude humor, church perviness or naked pictures of cremaster from when we "dated." (ha...by dating I mean he did for me only what another man can do.)

He got two gallons of oysters for Christmas.

His sons are good cooks, and they prepare them for me all kinds of ways. Now if I can just get lucky to come be my plate. :thumbup:

Entering my 2nd month of FM I'm getting a little tired. DM checks, HTN checks, etc. That, and there aren't very many kids at this practice. AH well.

If anyone who matched to portsmouth for internship is reading I'm auditioning for roommates. PM me, and I'll send you the list of positions you'll need to take pictures in (complete with graphics by Dartos and the missus).

Dmak, were you putting psych in the category of needing to take USMLE or not needing to? I didn't take it and I got a lot of interviews. I hear it's getting more competitive due to lifestyle stuff, but in recent years it hasn't been too bad.

Nooo. I think you only REALLY need to take the USMLE for programs that have a different match, for just about any allopathic surgery program, and the tough fields like path, radiology, etc. BUT....I'm simple man with a simple brain so I just took one test. Most programs I've interviewed had DOs on staff or in their program so it really hasn't had an effect on me. Chime in if I'm off base anybody.

So my computer spontaneously combusted the other week.....not really....the mobo died. It was a slow process that started off with some skewed blips on the screen......then lines........then fuzzy lines......then flickering.......then death. I hope I go that way.

Endocrine is the extremes of cases for me. One day we see about 10 type 2 diabetics and the next day it's panhypopits, thyroid cancers up the ass, and a case of x-linked hypophosphatemic osteomalacia. I'll take DM anyday.

Anyways.....Portier, congrats and don't let the man keep you down....even though in some twisted way you are the man.

Dartos.....good luck at IU. I didn't like the place. Methodist is freakin HUGE. FP's seem to get lost in the shuffle. I hope you do most of your training at the psych centers.

Casa Hombre......keep that mug up man. If all else fails do FP and we'll take on the world................the world (snickers music in the background).

Lucky.....I'll see you on a plane in several days.

Baby...RUUUUUUTH.......Hi! Hope the PE went well.

And to all others.......have a safe and happy holiday season and new years.

Bears 87 - Chargers 2 in Super Bowl XLI.

you are right one point. I took the USMLE, but it wasn't needed in the DO world. The stuff I wanted to apply for wouldn't have taken me anyways do to my OD degree:laugh:

I still think if you showed up and worked hard boards don't mean much. They may get you in the door if you didn't rotate there, but after that it doesn't do much.

Oh and I just wanted to say that I'm glad we all still write on here about our stuff and that we are nearing 90,000 views:). Maybe someday we can write a book about all the crap we go through in medical school...........

Everybody I hope that interviews are pannning out and you all get your #1 choices or #2, unless you are me and the P-man......then you just take any TY you can get:laugh:

I also want to wish everyone safe and happy holiday season and safe travels wherever you are headed.

Oh and Dartos what is the link to that site for the PE exam?

Anyone else excited about sitting through DMU powerpoints and being berated about paying off student loans by those nice financial aid ladies?

YEAH!

(KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL ROCKS!)

Lucky.....I'll see you on a plane in several days.

Yeah, if we can even land in Denver :scared:

Let's hope they put us on a direct from DSM to SFO cuz that would seriously rock some balls.

I can't wait to totally pound on some mannequins for our BLS recert!

Anyone else excited about sitting through DMU powerpoints and being berated about paying off student loans by those nice financial aid ladies?

YEAH!

(KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL ROCKS!)

As long as we can still surf and chat on IM then everything will be tolerable. If not......I'll leave. I dare them to try and stop me......that's a dare.

I like staring my 197k worth of debt in the face and laughing......like this:laugh:

I hope my flight to dsm is on time tomorrow because I am not wanting to deal with travel bs...........

xbox 360...oh yeah...I'm going to get one.

And that Star Trek Legacy game...and call of duty 2,3,4....90. (since I'll be living it in 18 months).

I'm only guessing but I bet there isn't a bar crawl schedule out yet for Graduation week. I think I'll email Katie and the crew to see if they have ideas on this already....

I'm putting in a request for some Ho Maksimovic cookies. I like the wookies, but there was something else I liked better that you guys made.

I'm putting in a request for some Ho Maksimovic cookies. I like the wookies, but there was something else I liked better that you guys made.

Could that be prosciutto-wrapped shrimp with herbed goat cheese that you're thinking of?

I'll work on the cookies for ya :D Can you remember what was in them?

Could that be prosciutto-wrapped shrimp with herbed goat cheese that you're thinking of?

I'll work on the cookies for ya :D Can you remember what was in them?

We've been expanding our recipe book Portier. I think you may see a Hosimovic cookbook in a decade or so. Watch for it.

I don't know..there were lots of good cookies when I lived with Jane.

I hadn't thought of proscuitto wrapped shrimp in a long time. MMMMMHMMM.

I just finished my 2nd of 3 law finals. Contracts is next week. This isn't as hard as real law school, I know. It is hard, though. (Jane used to listen to lectures online with me).

I'm looking forward to starting Health Law next month!!!! No more general crap.

Happy holidays everyone. Welcome to the 1g club Bernard. I believe its now 12 weeks left of rotations for this guy:):thumbup:

Happy holidays...SF rocks...too many food possibilities.

So we've been looking for a PS3, like thousands of other people, and they're actually selling them on Walmart.com. But we didn't want the stupid bundle that they make you buy for $1000, so we drove around yesterday, looking for them in stores. Best Buy had 2 20GB ones, from returns after Christmas, but we didn't want those. Then we went to the Sony PS store here in SF, and we saw like 20 of the 60GB ones, in nice PS3 black bags sitting behind the counter. D and I almost puked. So we got in line, the three people in front of us all bought one, and we go up and we're like, can we buy one of those? Cuz we weren't sure if they were for sale or if they had been preordered, I mean, this place had a huge stash. But they were for sale, and we bought one, well, my dad did for us, and we had to carry it while we went to eat at the fanciest mall ever, which was packed. I kept thinking somebody was gonna attack us and take our prize. Crazy. So now we have to get it home...I will break out my kung fu on any TSA agent who tries anything...

Hey everyone...hope you all are having a great holiday season....

Just to throw it out there...if anyone is going to match (I know we "technically" shouldn't know at this point) or knows someone who is matching in Columbus, OH, and is looking to buy a house.....we will be selling ours(3 br, 2.5 ba). Tell them to contact me via email ([email protected]) or phone (I'm not THAT crazy to post my own phone#). We can sell as early as March/April or as late as June.

Unless of course it's Portier....who knows what deviant behavior he might inflict on my neighbors....

GO GATORS!

my ps3 is the 20 gig and it is sweet! I got Resistance Fall of Man, which is double sweet.

So I have no idea if I am gonna match anything this year. I am contacting programs late now just looking to do an internship, and I am starting to consider other fields to apply to next year when I re-apply NS. Lucky what is the difference allopathically in categorical vs prelim is it pretty much linked vs non-linked? God damn me for trying to assume good things. From now on I'm going to just assume worst case scenerios.....................

Go hawks in the alamo bowl.............Just 12 more weeks!

Unless of course it's Portier....who knows what deviant behavior he might inflict on my neighbors....

Yeah Yeah....

Your mom goes to college.

BURN!

Hello, everyone--hope you all had a good holiday!

Cream--prelim and categorical also has to do with how much funding you are garanteed by the government. For instance, if you applied gen surg, you would get five years of funding. One person I know is not sure whether they want to do EM or Surg and so applied for surgery; because if they change their mind, they still have many more years of funding left. You might try asking your question on one of the rotations or specialty forums to see if you get any hits or start a new thread.

Lucky---PE went like cake. I was nervous at first but slowly got the hang of it. Even if you don't write down all of the info you do, remember to ask all the pertinent questions like in PD class (i.e. allergies, social history, FMH, etc.). I forgot to ask about allergies for one case and needed to write a script in my plan and had no idea if they were allergic or not. I also, like Dartos, had oodles of time in both sections--I was usually the first or second out of the door and had a good 2 minutes left on the SOAP portion. Since you, Cream, and DMAK are all fast test takers, I don't see any problems for you. I also agree that this could have been done in 4-5 hours instead of a full 7-8. The orientation was a re-hash of the website. I felt confident coming our of it that I did okay, but I heard some others that felt the same failed, so am still a little unsure. Remember to put your empathy cap on and play to your audience. Be Captain Kirk for a day and overact a little and you'll do fine.

Portier and DocGeorge--though I am flattered by your comments, I can't get over the fact that Portier votes red and Doc George wears cowboy boots and a bowtie. I might change my mind if Portier lets me have his Star Trek DVD collection...

thanks baby

oh by the way what is the website for the PE exam?

Back in the midwest! Ended up skipping out on Denver on the way back and went to O'hare instead...I hate you, Colorado. Nemesis...

We got Resistance too!! And Madden...As I type, the man is setting it up. It's so sweet...our first "child". Black like its daddy, of course.

Babyruth pretty much hit it on with the prelim/cat thing. Very easy to get prelim spots for surg or medicine. You can probably even scramble for one. I'd probably just apply for prelim surg if you're set on NS for next year. Aren't there osteopathic prelim surg spots? And the deadline for the allo ones are probably past or coming up very soon, so if you want to apply, check it out ASAP.

Dicky, where are you going?

Lucky I missed most of the prelim spots so I think I am going to do an internship at a place with a NS program and hope I get in next year. I'll look into other options. I would have to take a year "off" but lots of people will take you as a fellow for a year or you can do research, so I'm checking around and trying to find out what is best for me.

Dmak we need to organize an online resistance play time. Do you think the graphics are better on a regular tv. I don't think it looks that bad without HD. Happy new year everyone.

OMFG.

I got the xbox.
I got a HDTV ready monitor.

These games look so good it's stupid....I mean STUPID.

We're a far way from that Atari tank game (the first one I ever played).

I think I like Hitman....but HALO looks super sexy. I've played a LOT of Star Trek Legacy. The gameplay is ok, but the explosion graphics are low end.

Got to get back to the game.

FYI: Me and some townies are going to a bunch of parties tonight in hats. Driver hats. We're going to be a krewe.

If Kurupt ever gave a f*!$ about a ho, I'd always be broke.
I'd never have no motherf$%*&@& endo to smoke.

Portier and DocGeorge--though I am flattered by your comments, I can't get over the fact that Portier votes red and Doc George wears cowboy boots and a bowtie. I might change my mind if Portier lets me have his Star Trek DVD collection...

Baby I'd give up my bowties for you, but my **** kickers, thats antoher story.

Dicky, wuz up man? Hows the family?

The family's great, doc. We just got back from five weeks in Florida. It was great in 70-degree weather, but holy ****e we spent a lot of money!!!! It's good to be back home though. We leave for Missouri(BFE) in Feb to do a 4 week FP rotation...I am SOOOOO excited...can you feel the sarcasm yet? In the meanwhile, we have to start trying to sell the house here in Columbus...looks like we'll be heckling Lina in Detroit for the next 5 years. Other than that, not much going on. How are you and Darcy doing? Hey, I've got an idea....let's keep the tradition alive. You should help me move up to Detroit, being that you've helped me in EVERY move since starting med school! Just kidding buddy.

Go pickle a liver for new years....liver is evil...it must be punished.....

Dr. Dicky what did you end up applying for?

Doc any news on where you think you'll end up?

I might change my mind if Portier lets me have his Star Trek DVD collection...

Sold.

I have so many DVD's we'd never had to leave bed except to pee and poop for a week.

Sold.

I have so many DVD's we'd never had to leave bed except to pee and poop for a week.
And it's true...we've done that many times in Mason City.

Status
Not open for further replies.