DMU vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd be posting here, but I am fortunate enough to receive two acceptances to two wonderful schools. I often see that DMU is the "better" school, but then again, they're both DO programs and your education is what you put in.

A little about myself. I have been in California all my life (born and raised). I don't really mind being away from family as I have lived on my own since I started college; however, the distance is 2-3 hours away vs 5 for AZ/longer for IA. I am pretty independent and will be bringing my two cats (great support system in and of itself). My priority is to return to California for residency (thinking EM as of right now, but not set in stone); however, I am also thinking of maybe pursuing residency in other cities I would like to live in like NOLA, Seattle, Portland, etc.

DMU:

Pros:
Most established with over 100 years experience educating DO students.
Awesome facilities
Loved the vibe when I was on campus (day before interview and interview day)
Year-long rotation sites - huge plus as I know I will be in DSM my 3rd year with the opportunity to schedule my elective/audition rotations my 4th year.
COA/COL is cheaper.
Deposit has been paid.

Cons:
In the Midwest - coming from California where I've never seen snow fall nor lived through a snow day.
Farther away from family - Brother will be in California along with my cousins and friends.
Smaller city - Wasn't able to check out Asian grocery availability when I visited, so hopefully I can still get most of my cooking done.

AZCOM:

Pros:
Good program with a nice campus and facilities
Close enough to home where I can hop into my car and drive back to visit family for a weekend.
Opportunities to rotate in LA (goal is to return to California for residency), but I heard these rotation sites aren't as strong as the ones in Phoenix/AZ area?
OPTI seems to be stronger here compared to DMU - Doesn't look like students actually rotate through the OPTI sites though.

Cons:
Tuition is outrageous
Hate the incredible heat - SUMMERS are going to suck, but I guess I'll be indoors all day anyways.
Wack testing schedule - 7am exams 2nd year, exams nearly every week?
Seemed like students didn't really like the school; however, all they had.

As of right now, I am leaning towards DMU just to expand my horizons; however, the whole matching back to California/being closer to home is pulling me towards AZCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU, especially based on your pros/con, and AZCOM is so ridiculously expensive

Reactions: 2 users