This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDSCHOOLBOIIIIIII786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently got accepted to both these schools and am a bit confused about which to decide. Here is my pro/con list. I'm also interested in research if anyone can provide insight on which school is better for research opportunities. Any insight would be appreciated!

KCU
pros

-Cheaper tuition by 10 grand.
-In proximity to close family
-P/F/Honors system
-Have a distant relative also attending school
-Residency programs
-Great board pass rates
-Good match lists
cons
-bad area
-vague rotation sites
-OMM

DMU
pros

-Well established school with great match lists
-gym lol
-the area is nicer
-only med school in the area
-great board pass rates
cons
-graded curriculum (3.0/4.0)
-difficult to stay in Des Moines for rotations?
-more expensive tuition.
-no family
-OMM

Members don't see this ad.

I think the P/F/Honors system at KCU will be tremendously helpful and less stressful imo. Plus it's cheaper. They're both great schools, but I think KCU wins by being cheaper and having a potentially less stressful curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the P/F/Honors system at KCU will be tremendously helpful and less stressful imo. Plus it's cheaper. They're both great schools, but I think KCU wins by being cheaper and having a potentially less stressful curriculum.
Could be confusing with another school, but I believe I saw that KCU has a 2-pass curriculum. Considering this, it could be stressful if the blocks are shorter than they are at DMU. Just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school is stressful regardless of where you go, but being a KCU student, having a P/F curriculum is a big relief. The area surrounding the school isn't too bad, and there are good living options a few minutes away in nicer safer areas. The security is good on campus. There are good gyms that are easy to access, with the on-campus fitness center being solid. Having a support system is important in medical school.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
What everyone else said. PASS OR FAIL. You want it!!!

Research will be easier in KC, and I think they have more associated residency programs