DO Acceptance Deposit Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninthchair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys tell me how much you had to pay to secure your seat at a DO school that accepted you?

Members don't see this ad.

I paid LMU DCOM $2000 cash deposit to hold my seat. There is an old thread around here about the matriculation deposit fees. Maybe try doing a search.

Good Luck :luck:

Nova wanted $750 right away and $1250 pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM wanted $1000 to reserve a seat

To reserve your seat at LECOM-B it costed $1500 for class of 2012.

I think in-state OUCOM acceptance initial reservation cost is only $50.00! Not 100% on OUCOM though, the secondary payment was due May 15th technically and I'm sure it was much more than that.

First deposit was $500 and then a subsequent deposit of $1500 approx two months later (total $2000)

Man they really screw you. No chance to decide on other acceptances without losing a ****load of money. I guess its good for people stuck on waitlists who want people to decline but what a scam.

Man they really screw you. No chance to decide on other acceptances without losing a ****load of money. I guess its good for people stuck on waitlists who want people to decline but what a scam.

Wait, isnt it a deposit? So you get the money back if you decide to go elsewhere right?

Wait, isnt it a deposit? So you get the money back if you decide to go elsewhere right?

I think most schools keep the money. I know tourocom did. There deposit is 2000, and they do take credit

It is a deposit in the sense that the money spent to reserve the seat goes to paying tuition for the school so when you attend, you don't actually lose out on anything you didn't have to pay originally.

Unless of course you decide to tell the school you are attending and then attend another school you are accepted too, in which case that money is gone. Scam? Maybe, but then again medicine is a business and acceptance is competitive to say the least, if you get in and turn them down you accept the consequences of losing that money before you pay to reserve the seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the search, and the posts about matriculation deposits were from 2003. I wanted to know the current fees. Also, Could you tell me if the deposit is REFUNDABLE?

It is a deposit in the sense that the money spent to reserve the seat goes to paying tuition for the school so when you attend, you don't actually lose out on anything you didn't have to pay originally.

Unless of course you decide to tell the school you are attending and then attend another school you are accepted too, in which case that money is gone. Scam? Maybe, but then again medicine is a business and acceptance is competitive to say the least, if you get in and turn them down you accept the consequences of losing that money before you pay to reserve the seat.

Its a scam when you consider that most allopathic programs require deposits of around $100-150. The osteopathic deposits are required often within 2 weeks of acceptance. That just sucks if you get accepted in the fall.

If you are a marginally competitive candidate for allopathic programs, I recommend applying to them first and hope for an early interview. You absolutely can apply osteopathic later (as late as october/november) and still secure interviews.

Its a scam when you consider that most allopathic programs require deposits of around $100-150. The osteopathic deposits are required often within 2 weeks of acceptance. That just sucks if you get accepted in the fall.

If you are a marginally competitive candidate for allopathic programs, I recommend applying to them first and hope for an early interview. You absolutely can apply osteopathic later (as late as october/november) and still secure interviews.

I disagree. IMO, do not wait to submit applications to any school, MD/DO/etc. The sooner you get your information in, the sooner you are considered for an interview and the more competitive you will be. Worst case scenario may be you get accepted to a DO school and pay a couple thousand dollars to reserve your seat. That, to me, seems like a great worst case scenario when perhaps many can't afford to dump that kind of cash now, but certainly can pay for it after school. Were talking about reserving seats to medical school people, guaranteed spot! Some disagree but that is worth it to me, especially when you want to be as competitive as you can as early as you can when you don't have that guaranteed spot.

I disagree. IMO, do not wait to submit applications to any school, MD/DO/etc. The sooner you get your information in, the sooner you are considered for an interview and the more competitive you will be. Worst case scenario may be you get accepted to a DO school and pay a couple thousand dollars to reserve your seat. That, to me, seems like a great worst case scenario when perhaps many can't afford to dump that kind of cash now, but certainly can pay for it after school. Were talking about reserving seats to medical school people, guaranteed spot! Some disagree but that is worth it to me, especially when you want to be as competitive as you can as early as you can when you don't have that guaranteed spot.

Well again, I prefaced my recommendation with "if you are a marginally competitive candidate". I guess I could somewhat hedge my response by recommending to interview osteopathics a little later (just tell them that you'd like to visit at a later date). Its just to avoid a situation where you are offered 5 DO interviews, but they are all 1-2 weeks apart from each other. You get accepted to the first, but that school isn't your top choice (maybe the 1st interview is the place you least like and the 4th or 5th interview site happens to be where you really want to land)... do you keep putting down additional deposits of $1,000 per hit? This is much more likely to happen to you earlier in the application cycle.

If you are a poor candidate for allopathics (eg gpa < 3.5, MCAT under 30) then of course, work the system by applying early everywhere and increase your odds.

I did the search, and the posts about matriculation deposits were from 2003. I wanted to know the current fees. Also, Could you tell me if the deposit is REFUNDABLE?

Most osteopathic schools have a deposit of $1000-$3000, and I haven't heard of any that are refundable if you don't go there. If you do end up going, it's applied toward tuition.

I found this website http://www.aacom.org/people/colleges/Pages/default.aspx with a comprehensive list of how much the deposit and other fees will cost. Thank you everyone for all your responses so far.

Nice work! I love seeing newbies answer their own questions! :)

Paying the initial deposit is a bit jarring, but it was the best $2000 I've ever spent (and the happiest I've ever been handing over that much $$). ;)

Best of Luck to you. :luck:

I found this website http://www.aacom.org/people/colleges/Pages/default.aspx with a comprehensive list of how much the deposit and other fees will cost. Thank you everyone for all your responses so far.

Just for anyone looking at NYCOM's links on that page.... the NYIT fin. aid office is not the same as the NYCOM fin aid office. If you click on the "NYCOM Website" link, there is a link to the NYCOM fin aid. info.

Tourocom Nevada will refund all 2 grand back to you because of state law.

TUCOM-CA also has refundable deposit. It's $2000. If you back out before the mandatory orientation, then it is refundable.

Both PCOMs are $250 initial deposit, and then another for $2000 in March. They seem to be pretty reasonable about allowing their early acceptees to explore all their options.

Posted via Mobile Device

Tourocom Nevada will refund all 2 grand back to you because of state law.

TUCOM-CA also has refundable deposit. It's $2000. If you back out before the mandatory orientation, then it is refundable.

I thought the Touros refunded all but $200. :confused:

OUCOM is $100, then another $500 due May 15th.

Are you sure about this? Did you get money back?

In my perspective DO schools aren't being scammy; they're being smart. You have to consider that fact that DO schools know the perceived pre-med stigma.....there are plenty of DO applicants that are are only applying as a back up if they don't get into a single MD school, which is a good idea, like you said, for a marginally competitive MD candidate. The 2000 dollar deposit is the DO school's attempt to prevent so many spots being reserved early on, only to later be dumped when MD acceptance letters come in and wait lists move. Think about it....schools interview that best and brightest applicants first. If it cost only 100 bucks for a MD/DO applicant to reserve a for-sure spot, wouldn't he? However, if a student is willing to put 2000 dollars in, knowing it won't be refunded if he decides not to attend, then that person is SERIOUSLY considering attending the institution. Everyone knows that during application season 100 or 200 dollars is just a drop in the bucket, but 2000 makes one think a little harder before "wasting" his money. It didn't bother me paying that 2 K for the deposit, because MD or DO, I just wanted to get in somewhere.....I lucked out falling in love with my school! Nevertheless, I did wait until the last possible day to pay my deposit.

PS- KCUMB gave me about 6 weeks to decide.....I think at some schools the amount of time you have to make a decision before sending in the big deposit depends on the point in the application cycle at which you are accepted.

Last edited:
UNECOM....$500 then a refundable $1000 within 30 days of receipt of the $500 if withdrawn by June 1st.

anyone ever had an acceptnace from a school, been told to make a decision within the alotted time (say 2 weeks)....and then pleaded with another school that may have been higher on your list to try and make a descision on your acceptance status ASAP??

anyone ever had an acceptnace from a school, been told to make a decision within the alotted time (say 2 weeks)....and then pleaded with another school that may have been higher on your list to try and make a descision on your acceptance status ASAP??
That sounds like blackmailing:D

Old trick and the schools know it. I would recommend putting in the deposit and then if you get into the school of yoru dreams, be willing to lose it for that is the school you really want to be in. In the overall scheme of things, that amount will be a drop in the bucket. Alot of money now, but it wont matter later on. Just my 2 cents

Old trick and the schools know it. I would recommend putting in the deposit and then if you get into the school of yoru dreams, be willing to lose it for that is the school you really want to be in. In the overall scheme of things, that amount will be a drop in the bucket. Alot of money now, but it wont matter later on. Just my 2 cents

that's my plan if I get off the waitlist at TouroCOM... so close, yet so far... :rolleyes:

I have to correct myself in this thread. The TUCOM $2000 deposit is NON-refundable. I just asked the office, and they told me the info in the aacom.org website is a little misleading. Only the $1000 tuition deposit is refundable. This $2000 is considered acceptance deposit. Don't ask me why.:confused:

I have to correct myself in this thread. The TUCOM $2000 deposit is NON-refundable. I just asked the office, and they told me the info in the aacom.org website is a little misleading. Only the $1000 tuition deposit is refundable. This $2000 is considered acceptance deposit. Don't ask me why.:confused:

yeah, i called last week to ask where my money was, no dice

Both PCOMs are $250 initial deposit, and then another for $2000 in March. They seem to be pretty reasonable about allowing their early acceptees to explore all their options.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thank God. I hope I can secure an early interview and early accceptance because I don't have a crapload of $$$ to drop.

Paying the initial deposit is a bit jarring, but it was the best $2000 I've ever spent (and the happiest I've ever been handing over that much $$). ;)
Dude, you gotta be kidding me. Best and happiest? MD deposit is only $100 and it's refundable before May 15. DO deposits are around $2000. Why such a big difference?

Dude, you gotta be kidding me. Best and happiest? MD deposit is only $100 and it's refundable before May 15. DO deposits are around $2000. Why such a big difference?

dude, you completely missed prions point. would she rather have deposited 100 dollars? of course. so why was it the best 2000 dollars she ever spent? because it solidified the fact that she is going to med school.

as for why the big difference? many posters have given their opinions/theories, many of which make complete sense.

At most, if not all schools, that deposit is put towards tuition so it's not like you're just throwing that money away if you only pay one deposit. If you don't want to risk losing 1-2k then don't apply DO.

dude, you completely missed prions point. would she rather have deposited 100 dollars? of course. so why was it the best 2000 dollars she ever spent? because it solidified the fact that she is going to med school.

as for why the big difference? many posters have given their opinions/theories, many of which make complete sense.

At most, if not all schools, that deposit is put towards tuition so it's not like you're just throwing that money away if you only pay one deposit. If you don't want to risk losing 1-2k then don't apply DO.

Looks like you got schooled, uglyjohn. ;)

Yep Ryserr21 and EEL08, that's precisely what I meant. :)

Last edited: