Do Adcoms looks down on nail-biters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingorion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
^

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Stop biting your nails or it'll come back to bite you elsewhere on your body.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They saw you bite your nails, I'm assuming? What context was it, like during the interview or waiting? Can't speak for adcoms but if you were discreet then it's probably a non-issue.

EDIT: Ok, gyngyn has spoken.

But seriously, you will thank yourself if you stop biting your nails. Yesterday I bit my first nail in 2-3 months. Felt pretty good to have that streak even though I broke it though.

I've had this habit since I was 4, and I'm thinking it's about time. To stop. I haven't interviewed or anything, I was curious.

Grooming is important.
Would you want a gynecologist who chewed his nails?
Remember, we need to be able to get you a residency. Unattractive behaviors make this more difficult.

I am well groomed besides. I guess I need to get some of that nasty nail polish.
Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: 1 user
I know they look down on lack of common-sense.

You have 2 issues to address now.

@wanderingorion

The key for me was realizing that I wanted my nails to look healthy. Really at the beginning I wanted long enough nails to paint. Plus the polish I had helped strengthened them which kept me from being able to bite them easily or have frayed edges. Eventually I ended up filing them (because thought they were too long for school, I thought) but I was determined to keep filing and maintaining them.

Assuming you're a guy, so not sure if that helps you, but the point is to have a strong motive for not biting your nails and work towards that. My motive was more of a shallow one, but I really wanted to paint them and it eventually went from that to a long-term health and grooming deal. Maybe say to yourself I will file my nails every day instead of biting, or put bitter nail polish for a whole week without biting...experiment. It won't be easy but you will be grateful to yourself for it. Good luck!!!

@wanderingorion

The key for me was realizing that I wanted my nails to look healthy. Really at the beginning I wanted long enough nails to paint. Plus the polish I had helped strengthened them which kept me from being able to bite them easily or have frayed edges. Eventually I ended up filing them (because thought they were too long for school, I thought) but I was determined to keep filing and maintaining them.

Assuming you're a guy, so not sure if that helps you, but the point is to have a strong motive for not biting your nails and work towards that. My motive was more of a shallow one, but I really wanted to paint them and it eventually went from that to a long-term health and grooming deal. Maybe say to yourself I will file my nails every day instead of biting, or put bitter nail polish for a whole week without biting...experiment. It won't be easy but you will be grateful to yourself for it. Good luck!!!

It does help. Thanks!

Your literal first post was a mean one.

Very perceptive. You literally made a post to see how you think ad-coms may feel about nail biting.

I was hoping this question was in jest, and now I realize it wasn't.

Very perceptive. You literally made a post to see how you think ad-coms may feel about nail biting.

I was hoping this question was in jest, and now I realize it wasn't.
Nail-biting is an unfortunately visible unsanitary habit that is very hard for many to break.
It is no laughing matter.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nail-biting is an unfortunately visible unsanitary habit that is very hard for many to break.
It is no laughing matter.

Let me flip the statement: In what world would the answer have been positively? This question is akin to asking, do adcoms look down on people belching in the interview?

How lucky we all are.

Think about the question you had to make a post to ask. What's worse is that you truly didn't know the answer to this question.

Better someone be harsh to you on the internet then people realize your a fool in real life.

Think about the question you had to make a post to ask. What's worse is that you truly didn't know the answer to this question.

Better someone be harsh to you on the internet then people realize your a fool in real life.

I understand that you are trying to provide realistic advice to people on SDN. However providing frank advice does not mean you have to be abrasive. The tone of many of your posts veer towards being inflammatory and demeaning. If your purpose truly is to help people you should be more cognizant of your delivery. Otherwise please stop bullying people on SDN, as it promotes a negative culture.

Reactions: 5 users

I hope that bullying an anonymous person about trivial things helps that abysmal self-esteem of yours.

Life must have been difficult if this is considering bullying.

Life must have been difficult if this is considering bullying.

We could go without being harsh to him and still prevent him from looking like a fool in real life. Those two are not mutually exclusive. I hope you handle your patients and your friends with a lot more grace than you do people on the other side of a computer screen.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, and I believe they would notice it instantly. I had the same habit until I worked a rotation in the mental/behavioral health department at my hospital. Now I will not even itch my face, or subconsciously bite my nails. If you just take the time to observe people's mannerisms in Walmart you will lose the habit too. Seriously, go there and watch people pick their wedgies, cough, sneeze, touch the floor, and then pick up produce. You will see that you are exposing yourself to more than just microbes when you bite your nails.

Um, not sure if it would completely disqualify you but presentation is definitely important

@wanderingorion You're welcome! Forgive my awful grammar too...should have edited...:shrug:

Here's an article that's sums up some basic ways of stopping nail-biting, for anyone interested...one of the first I read when I tried to commit to stopping.

http://www.xovain.com/nails/quit-nail-biting-in-10-steps#!

I'm going overkill on this, but I had gotten over it recently so that's why I'm sharing, and it's gotten to the point where I don't like biting my nails anymore unless there's a fray or tear (hence good filing). It's possible, just set small steps.

@wanderingorion You're welcome! Forgive my awful grammar too...should have edited...:shrug:

Here's an article that's sums up some basic ways of stopping nail-biting, for anyone interested...one of the first I read when I tried to commit to stopping.

http://www.xovain.com/nails/quit-nail-biting-in-10-steps#!

I'm going overkill on this, but I had gotten over it recently so that's why I'm sharing, and it's gotten to the point where I don't like biting my nails anymore unless there's a fray or tear (hence good filing). It's possible, just set small steps.
It's funny, I was reading this exact article a few days ago.

We could go without being harsh to him and still prevent him from looking like a fool in real life. Those two are not mutually exclusive. I hope you handle your patients and your friends with a lot more grace than you do people on the other side of a computer screen.

Aaaaaannnnnnddddd there it is...
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to question his ability to work with patients in the future. Why does everyone assume that people who are frank on the Internet are incapable of being professional when the situation calls for it?

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know why people do this. They stick their fingers in their mouth like a toddler and then touch the computer that I'm about to use or touch a patient or after they touch a patient. I just don't get it.

I don't know why people do this. They stick their fingers in their mouth like a toddler and then touch the computer that I'm about to use or touch a patient or after they touch a patient. I just don't get it.
In medicine you'll touch a lot of nasty stuff and hand washing isn't always perfect. Best to break habits of subconsciously/nervously putting fingers into your mouth regularly. As for whether Adcoms look down on nail biters, it depends:
(1) are we talking about your own nails? Because chewing on someone else's would definitely be frowned upon.
(2) and I am assuming we are talking about finger nails -- because if they catch you chewing on your toenails, that's probably a deal breaker.
:)

• Haha
Aaaaaannnnnnddddd there it is...
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to question his ability to work with patients in the future. Why does everyone assume that people who are frank on the Internet are incapable of being professional when the situation calls for it?

Wasn't saying he was incapable, was just saying that I hope he's a different person when his hands aren't on a keyboard.

I wonder if there's some sort of aversion therapy drug for nail-biters, like how people use Antabuse to stop drinking alcohol.

They should call it Antabite.

@walloobi Bitter nail polish is probably the closest thing to it, as far as I know. But if you're talking Antabuse-style, not sure. Not even sure if they have nail polish that makes you feel sick; couldn't find anything, but it could be out there...

I broke my kids of this habit early on by placing adhesive tape on their fingertips.
@walloobi Bitter nail polish is probably the closest thing to it, as far as I know. But if you're talking Antabuse-style, not sure. Not even sure if they have nail polish that makes you feel sick; couldn't find anything, but it could be out there...

As always, pre-meds usually give the best advice on what's best and how to treat patients from their vast experience.

If he thought I was being harsh, I look forward to the day he has a surgical rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I broke mine by carrying clippers and a nailing file. Even in my white coat breast pocket. I'm OCD about fixing them right away. That was really why I would chew.