Do adcoms need to know in advance what type of Phd you want to pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neofight

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would know whether the subject area for the Phd (Bio, Chem, etc.) must be declared to adcoms when applying to MSTP programs? Basically, do you need to know in advance what type of Phd you want to obtain or can you decide later after getting accepted to a med school's MSTP program?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you don't gotta know and in most cases you decide in third year (research year #1). If they make you decide any sooner, they will give you the option of freely switching between departments until third year.

Neuronix, that's good to know! Thanks! So it's even possible to get a Phd in one of the fields where you have a limited background and would thus take a longer time period to achieve...

I would not look at it that way. The first two years of medical school will expose you to all areas of medicine and should broaden your horizons as to what area of clinically relevant basic science you want to be doing. Most students change their minds about the field in which they wish to obtain their PhDs. I doubt there is any difference in graduation time on average between the students who continue PhD work in the same field they did before they started and students who choose a different area for their PhDs.