This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s_r_e_m

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The answer to my question is likely no as that would be very time consuming, but I was just wondering if admissions committees ever scrutinize university course descriptions to make sure certain courses covered all the topics that they deem essential knowledge for a course. I have seen one medical school that does not accept courses from professional schools (e.g. nursing, allied health or pharmacy) as those courses are apparently structured specifically for individuals in a certain career. Is that a common trend or do most medical schools just focus on course names and GPA when reviewing applications? For example, I was looking into taking (Elementary) Introduction to Biochemistry and was wondering if should I worry myself with making sure all the necessary topics will be covered in that course or will its status as a Biochemistry course suffice for certain medical schools that require biochemistry. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or opinions if you would be able to share. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will provide some context in the committee letter, particularly to tell us that the course sequence was more difficult than the sequence typically taken by pre-meds. This is most common at a few of the Ivys.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will provide some context in the committee letter, particularly to tell us that the course sequence was more difficult than the sequence typically taken by pre-meds. This is most common at a few of the Ivys.
Thank you for your input! I will likely not be working with a Recommendations Committee as my university does not have one, so I'm a little bit curious how that might affect my application. Could the lack of context provided by a committee possibly negatively affect my application? Could my application possibly be seen as more ambiguous and less concrete than other applicants who had a committee provide context for their courses?

Thank you for your input! I will likely not be working with a Recommendations Committee as my university does not have one, so I'm a little bit curious how that might affect my application. Could the lack of context provided by a committee possibly negatively affect my application? Could my application possibly be seen as more ambiguous and less concrete than other applicants who had a committee provide context for their courses?

Some instructors will do this ... they'll describe the course and its difficulty when describing your performance in the course itself. No one dings a student from Podunk College for not having a committee letter similar to one that comes from Harvard or Yale. It is not expected and not something that will negatively affect your application.

Reactions: 2 users