Do all retail pharmacies use thye same computer program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carboxilic774

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at CVS as a tech and and I was wondering if other pharmacies such as Walgreens use the same computer program as us?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Carboxilic774 said:
I work at CVS as a tech and and I was wondering if other pharmacies such as Walgreens use the same computer program as us?
Thank you

No. I've worked on two different ones and some are definitely better than others. Then again, I suppose it's just what you were trained on.

Members don't see this ad :)
: (
That's a shame. I thought I was sgoing to be one step ahead once I learned how to use this program really well.

Which company do you guys think has the best computer system? I heard Walgreen's was really good and easy to follow. The only bad thing was that they are able to analyze everything you do (like accuracy, how fast you fill, etc.)

I worked for Wegmans Pharmacy for 4 years and loved their system. Then I worked for Kinney Drugs for 5 months while I was finishing my last semester of college and I found their system to be HORRIBLE. It was very un-user friendly and a pain in the ass. Luckily, I just got a job at Target and they have the same system as Wegmans! I'm so excited... haha.:)

Carboxilic774 said:
Thank you

I work at CVS and think their system is like 10 years behind the times. It's not as bad as Target's, but not as slick as Rite Aid's or Walgreen's, whose systems are Windows-based.

WVUPharm2007 said:
No, but it would be frickin' beautiful if they did. :(

Amen to that! But...I believe they all use First Data Bank as a source of drug info & interactions, altho correct me if I'm wrong. (btw...this is a great place for foreign non-US licensed pharmacists to work!)

I've worked with 4 different retail computer systems, all of them different. Walgreens was by far the best one. I hate the one at Publix.

dgroulx said:
I've worked with 4 different retail computer systems, all of them different. Walgreens was by far the best one. I hate the one at Publix.

No doubt, the system at Publix blows.

Not the same. I worked at Rite Aid during the time they switched. The system they had before was so primitive. It was the black screen with the white letters and all the commands were manual. They finally updated though with something much more user-friendly called "Nexgen." The interface is like a cross between Mac OS X (<--- love) and windows.

Definately not the same! The one at Sav-on is sooooooooooooooooo old.....they keep saying we are going to get new systems...But Sav-On just got baught out by CVS so we will see what happens!