DO and dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smedly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an osteopathic dermatologist? Is this an impossible dream for a DO student? On this site ...I think it was the residency page..someone wrote the key to getting a derm residency was "AOA all the way". Did they mean Amer. Osteo. Assoc? I'd appreciate any information on the subject.

Members don't see this ad.

<a href="http://www.aocd.org" target="_blank">www.aocd.org</a>

Thanks for the site. Are you a student interested in dermatology?

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandmother goes to a Dermatologist who is a D.O.

I'm greatly interested even before I got accepted to med school. I have alot of personal and rational reasons for this but don't you think the requirement of having 3 research papers and 2 of which to be presented and published is too harsh?
I mean I know a MD who did one research paper during med school and now he's in NYU medical center for derm rsidency. I guess allopathic derm residency has different requirments...anyone know this for sure?

AOA in the context you described is Alpha Omega Alpha the honor society for allopathic med schools, admitting about the top 10% or so of the class.For a full discussion of Osteopaths in Dermatology programs see the thread under Rotations and residencies.

There are quite a few osteopathic dermatologists both where I go to school (Long Island) and where I live (suburban Philadelphia). Most of the ones I know of are AOA-trained, but a handful came out of ACGME programs.

I shadowed with a DO dermatologist for a year. I even saw him use OMT in his practice. He was very good with patients and there skin disorders. He was so comfy touching patients from all of his OMT experience that he helped people with really bad conditions not feel like aliens. That is one of the biggest advantages to being a DO, you enter the room and that barrier does not exist. Good luck, find a cure for acne...

I will be starting at lecom in the fall and have an interest in derm. I have noticed that Geisinger Medical Center has had some derm residents (3-4) in the past ten years. I was wondering if there are any other allopathic programs that are DO friendly. If so, could someone list some of the institutions that DO dermatologist have done their training. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.