DO and MBA programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abadri421

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone did this combined program or knows anyone that did this. I was wondering wat the curriculum was like and if its a valuable asset for the future. I was looking into the NYCOM combined program but I wanted to hear some experiences. I know med school is hard enough as it is, is this program overkill?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know if anyone did this combined program or knows anyone that did this. I was wondering wat the curriculum was like and if its a valuable asset for the future. I was looking into the NYCOM combined program but I wanted to hear some experiences. I know med school is hard enough as it is, is this program overkill?

Thank you

I am not familiar with NYCOM's program so I can't comment on it but most schools have it such that you divide up the time across both degrees over five years. So for example you might take your first set of MBA courses during the first summer when there is no med school related classes going on. And then your second year med school coursework is halved so that you can take on additional MBA courses in the evening. And then you continue this into your second year summer and part of your third year. Finally once you are done with the MBA cirriculum you return to med school full time and are done in five years. It does make for a challening set of five years but if you think you could see yourself managing your own practice or doing hospital admin, then I think it could very useful. Many docs these days are not well aware of the business side of medicine and it can be very useful knowledge.

However, I am a former finance major and worked in IB so for someone who already has that business acumen, an MBA, I think, is a waste of time. I have worked with several MBAs and even taken MBA classes and frankly, I think a lot of them are things that I learned at the UG level or even in the workforce. But for someone who has no prior business experience or education, I would reccommend such a program.

(I knew people in the DO/MBA program when I was a student)

NYCOM's DO/MBA program does not add any additional time towards getting your degree - you'll still graduate in four years. The classes are taught in the evenings and don't conflict with the NYCOM classes.

The importance of business acumen is something that is becoming more and more important in the area of health care; many practitioners I know are frustrated that their business knowledge is lacking. Med school does not prepare you well for this aspect of medicine.

My opinion is that you should have the right reason for doing the MBA program. An MBA from NYIT doesn't carry any serious weight in the business community. However, if your goal is just to learn enough to be versed in business it might to be a good idea.

Thank you

The OSU-COM program is 5 years total. You take a year off between MS2 & MS3 to complete your MBA.