DO and MD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flip05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously whats the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously whats the difference?
one practices witchcraft and wizardry.

no but seriously about a hundred years ago there was only one house of medicine but some man decided that he wanted to do things his own way and that medicine at the time was poorly practiced. This mans name was Aldus Griffindor and the original house was called Slytherin and their leader is he who should not be named. :eek::scared:

Last edited:
One is an Alliance healing class the other is a Horde healing class.

Members don't see this ad :)
one practices witchcraft and wizardry.

no but seriously about a hundred years ago there was only one house of medicine but some man decided that he wanted to do things his own way and that medicine at the time was poorly practiced. This mans name was Aldus Griffindor and the original house was called Slytherin and their leader is he who should not be names. :eek::scared:

.... This is not a smart comment to make when most Harry Potter fans are entering in withdrawal. You might get stabbed.

.... This is not a smart comment to make when most Harry Potter fans are entering in withdrawal. You might get stabbed.
lmao i actually just saw the last one the other day. i thought it was awsome.

flip05:

Please proceed to approach a wall, preferably a cement one as they consist of the appropriate density/ aesthetics. Than please nod your head back and forth quite hard. If your head happens to hit the wall several times, you are doing it correctly.

Than after this, I want you to approach any 6 year old and ask them how to "search" the internet. You see the internet is a wonderful and often magestic thing that allows you to find all the answers your heart desires.

That is all

flip05:

Please proceed to approach a wall, preferably a cement one as they consist of the appropriate density/ aesthetics. Than please nod your head back and forth quite hard. If your head happens to hit the wall several times, you are doing it correctly.

Than after this, I want you to approach any 6 year old and ask them how to "search" the internet. You see the internet is a wonderful and often magestic thing that allows you to find all the answers your heart desires.

That is all

Pay attention to the order. Make sure you do the former first and the latter second.

Or else...you may get a concussion and all is in vain haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
The easiest way to the find the answer is through prayer and meditation.
haha lmao.

I thought of this one after watching some episodes from season three of "the office"

when you are ready to know the differences between an MD and a DO, the answer will present itself to you.

I saw it opening night, I enjoyed it. Blown a way completely honestly.
me too. i thought it was incredible. acting, special effects. it was just amazing. no doubt.
flip05:

That is all
seriously right on the mark

There is no difference.

why would you ruin a beautiful thread man?

^ for some reason people still answer these stupid questions, although at least it was short and sweet. The OP doesnt deserve much more than that. It was definitely a beautiful thread while it lasted

do dental students also have this going on when it comes to DMD vs. DDS? or they've got over it?

do dental students also have this going on when it comes to DMD vs. DDS? or they've got over it?
its a little different for dental students. they don't have different accrediting boards. theres just the ADA. its not like both the AMA and AOA

:laugh: We can only hope they have got over it. But some pre-meds might also be pre-dent and probably ask the same stupid questions:laugh:

its a little different for dental students. they don't have different accrediting boards. theres just the ADA. its not like both the AMA and AOA

good point. if somehow the AMA and AOA could become one, but the problem is that although DO and MD are very similar, they are not same in terms of training, practice, and philosophy.

are DDS and DMD both 100% similar? or like DO/MD they differ in training?

:laugh: We can only hope they have got over it. But some pre-meds might also be pre-dent and probably ask the same stupid questions:laugh:

:D

good point. if somehow the AMA and AOA could become one, but the problem is that although DO and MD are very similar, they are not same in terms of training, practice, and philosophy.

to be honest I have absolutely no Idea. I never thought about going to dental school but i probly should. my cousins a dentist and they make crazy money lol. all i know is that the reason they have different degrees is that when harverd wanted to open their own dental school they decided to go with a latin terminology and i think they decided on DMD, then schools started opening up awarding that degree as well. I don't think there is a difference but you would probly have to head over to pre dental to get your 100% on that.

your best way of doing it?

open a thread called "DMD and DDS"

then ask "is there a difference"

people there will prbly love you for it lol

DDS and DMD are the exact same degree. The schools that award the DMD degree (like Harvard) do so because they award all their degrees in latin, thus instead of DDS it's DMD. Unlike the DO and MD degree where they have a different (yet very similar) curriculum.

DDS and DMD are the exact same degree. The schools that award the DMD degree (like Harvard) do so because they award all their degrees in latin, thus instead of DDS it's DMD. Unlike the DO and MD degree where they have a different (yet very similar) curriculum.

Sure there is. Otherwise, there would be no DO degree.

DO=/=MD

For all intents and purposes, it is virtually the same degree. Think of the bigger picture.

For all intents and purposes, it is virtually the same degree. Think of the bigger picture.

In terms of practicing rights in the United States, yes they are equal. If this is what you mean by "the bigger picture", then I completely agree.

Last edited:
I told my brother in-law, an M.D. who was a chief resident at a prestigious California residency, that he'd be able to tell his co-workers he knows a D.O. (me) if the topic of osteopathic medicine ever arises.

He replied, "no one will ever ask me that," and once again reinforced that D.O.s and M.D.s do virtually the same thing.

If you are going to define your life by a set of letters, then you have no business being in medicine.
Every MD and MD student I know couldn't care less. They know for a fact that a DO is a DO because they put in as much blood, sweat and tears to earn that degree. The knowledge base is exactly the same, and the practical experience is the same within a given specialty.