DO and MSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seeking4Better

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I actually want to get people's general opinion about getting a DO degree along with an MSW degree. I am very much interested in medicine and have completed all my pre-reqs, but also have a strong interest in the social, emotional, and mental development of people. My plan is to apply to DO school for the 2010 or 2011 year. I have been accepted to Case Western's MSW (really there's is a MSSA, but it is equavilant to an MSW) in their community and social development concentration with a hefty scholarship for the fall 2009. I want to hear's people's opinion on how much sense it would be to go ahead and complete this program then apply to DO school. Ive heard of DO/MBA, DO/MPH....but not many DO/MSW...so Im interested to hear what people have to say...

Thanks! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I actually want to get people's general opinion about getting a DO degree along with an MSW degree. I am very much interested in medicine and have completed all my pre-reqs, but also have a strong interest in the social, emotional, and mental development of people. My plan is to apply to DO school for the 2010 or 2011 year. I have been accepted to Case Western's MSW (really there's is a MSSA, but it is equavilant to an MSW) in their community and social development concentration with a hefty scholarship for the fall 2009. I want to hear's people's opinion on how much sense it would be to go ahead and complete this program then apply to DO school. Ive heard of DO/MBA, DO/MPH....but not many DO/MSW...so Im interested to hear what people have to say...

Thanks! :luck:

Didn't you know? According to the AOA, all DO's are Masters of Social Work. Also, all DO's are actually registered ministers and tax advisors. It's part of treating the whole patient. Kidding.

The only way I can see this being valuable is if you see yourself in an administrative position, overseeing actual social workers. Or writing a book on how physicians need to be more aware of issues in social work. Otherwise, just become a physician, read books on social work, and self-educate to give your patients the broader treatment you plan on giving them.

Your skills as a physician are too valuable to spend doing work that people with less education can do. Don't get me wrong - physicians need to be aware of issues in social work, but you don't need a Masters to know your way around the system and to point your patients in the right direction. It's just more efficient to have the doctor focusing on the doctoring and the social worker focusing on the social working.

Last edited: