DO and residency

Started by surag
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how difficult it would be to match into an allopathic well regarded residency program as a DO. Is it even possible to match into any of the programs from UCSF-Urochester as DO with a high board score? By high I mean 240+.

I was looking at the current residents at Urochester and not one is a DO...I've also been told that the adult neuro program director has a bias against DOs.

I cant tell where the students at UCSF came from. I know that columbia has a bias against DOs as well.

Out of curiousity for those who are either 1. DOs in neurology or have met DO neurology residents can you shed some light on this? Thanks.
 
I am a DO who went to USC for residency and am finishing a fellowship at UCLA. If you have high boards, research experience you can go almost anywhere. High boards alone will not get you into top tier extremely competitive programs. There is another DO at UCLA doing Critical Care. Some places are not ready yet to accept highly qualified DOs but everything is changing. I even interviewed another DO for fellowship here at UCLA next year. Don't make it a big deal.

Apply.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry, the osteopathic forum is more relevant....this can be deleted/closed?
 
What about chances of a DO with 203 USMLE 538 COMLEX good letters, above avg grades at allo Neuro programs?