mersault

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently a third year medstudent very much interested in anesthesia. This forum has been great with ample information, so thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.
To qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program one has to work for a non-profit 501(c) institution (there's a very recent thread on the topic) for ten years. However, the mentioned thread doesn't talk about how this applies to anesthesia specifically, so I was wondering: does anyone know if it is common for anesthesia practices to qualify under this label of 501(c)? I'm confused on the whole employment aspect of things, especially since it sounds like most practices "contract" themselves with hospitals, so I don't know if they would count as a 501(c) even though most hospitals are non-profit and are labeled as 501(c).
any input is much appreciated.

dr doze

To be able to forget means to sanity
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently a third year medstudent very much interested in anesthesia. This forum has been great with ample information, so thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.
To qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program one has to work for a non-profit 501(c) institution (there's a very recent thread on the topic) for ten years. However, the mentioned thread doesn't talk about how this applies to anesthesia specifically, so I was wondering: does anyone know if it is common for anesthesia practices to qualify under this label of 501(c)? I'm confused on the whole employment aspect of things, especially since it sounds like most practices "contract" themselves with hospitals, so I don't know if they would count as a 501(c) even though most hospitals are non-profit and are labeled as 501(c).
any input is much appreciated.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP
M

mersault

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
glad to bring a smile to your day.
anyone have any thoughts on this?

-please let me know if any part of the question is not clear.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]

academia will count as 501(c) :)

but not most private practices

dr doze

To be able to forget means to sanity
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

I would guess that virtually ZERO private practices count. Same for an AMC that provided service to a nonprofit. As far as working @ a nonprofit hospital, I think that it would depend on the corporate entity that paid your salary. If a University - maybe so. If a corporate entity that was owned by the university, maybe not. Direct employee of a nonprofit hospital, better chance. Read the fine print and have a lawyer review.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
I'm employed at a university affiliated specialty hospital, but even though I'm on the faculty of the medical school, I'm contracted through a separate Limited liability physician group. I probably wouldn't qualify. I get a portion of my salary from the university directly for being a professor, but the majority is from my clinical compensation through the Ltd. company. I'm doubt our Ltd company is not for profit, as I know we invest excess income every year as a cushion if something bad happens. Every situation is likely to be different, and you would have to look at each practice case by case, after finding out all of the rules. I also doubt any PP group would qualify.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm employed at a university affiliated specialty hospital, but even though I'm on the faculty of the medical school, I'm contracted through a separate Limited liability physician group. I probably wouldn't qualify. I get a portion of my salary from the university directly for being a professor, but the majority is from my clinical compensation through the Ltd. company. I'm doubt our Ltd company is not for profit, as I know we invest excess income every year as a cushion if something bad happens. Every situation is likely to be different, and you would have to look at each practice case by case, after finding out all of the rules. I also doubt any PP group would qualify.
don't forget the VA - 501(c)