DO Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a pre-med. I have 2 osteopathic interviews over the next 2 months. One is an in-state school that I'd love to go to.

Recently, I shadowed an anesthesiologist and his assistant (AA, not CRNA). I thought it was so cool. Previously, I had thought of doing FP, but after shadowing both fields, it seems like I like the procedural stuff a bit better.

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but how difficult is it to get a residency in gas? Michigan has 2 AOA anesthesia residency programs (not sure how many students they take per year though).

Members don't see this ad.

cfdavid said:
Hello,

I'm currently a pre-med. I have 2 osteopathic interviews over the next 2 months. One is an in-state school that I'd love to go to.

Recently, I shadowed an anesthesiologist and his assistant (AA, not CRNA). I thought it was so cool. Previously, I had thought of doing FP, but after shadowing both fields, it seems like I like the procedural stuff a bit better.

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but how difficult is it to get a residency in gas? Michigan has 2 AOA anesthesia residency programs (not sure how many students they take per year though).

Anesthesia is one of the specialties that DO's do really well at securing residencies in - MD residencies I mean. The other ones would be FP, IM, Peds, Psych, and PM&R. I'd shoot for the MD programs, it's very do-able.

(nicedream) said:
Anesthesia is one of the specialties that DO's do really well at securing residencies in - MD residencies I mean. The other ones would be FP, IM, Peds, Psych, and PM&R. I'd shoot for the MD programs, it's very do-able.

Thanks. Will the COMLEX suffice? Or will I need to take the USMLE as well?
It's severely premature, but just for my own info.

Members don't see this ad :)
VentdependenT said:
Take em both. If you blow the USMLE don't submit it....but thats a ways off my friend.

Yeah, I know it.

Hey, I just received an interview at AZCOM. I'll be down there on the 28th of this month. How do you like it? What do you like most? Dislike most?

cfdavid said:
Yeah, I know it.

Hey, I just received an interview at AZCOM. I'll be down there on the 28th of this month. How do you like it? What do you like most? Dislike most?

I enjoyed it while I was there. I worked hard to get the clinicals I wanted out of state but I was able to be back in Chicago with my family which worked out great.

Do a search of AZCOM. Its been discussed thoroughly.