Do any DO students match derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty confident goro is not here.
My guess is that Goro is at Touro-CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is that Goro is at Touro-CA.

This game is fun.

His signature says west of st. Louis. I'm assuming we can restrict to the state. If its not Kirksville.....then......

Of course if its not restricted to the state, then Touro CA would not be a bad guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are letting the "cat out the bag"...

Reactions: 3 users
@Gandy741 @oOKawaiiOo He's right. I'm suspecting Goro is at one of the well known DO schools, but not KCOM...so must be the other one :rolleyes:

His post on page 1 is a dead giveaway.

I have a guess as well based on his posts... but it is actually none of the above mentioned on here. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
As fun as it is to find out where users are. It is against ToS to out any body on these forums so let's refrain from doing so.
We're just playing a guessing game. Nobody is posting anything concrete ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
We all love Goro and would throw him a huge surprise party with cats hahaha.

Speaking of which, I bet this is his expression when reading our posts.

satan_cat1.jpg

We're sorry @Goro :bow::biglove:

Please accept this video of kittens standing around looking confused as a peace offering.

As fun as it is to find out where users are. It is against ToS to out any body on these forums so let's refrain from doing so.

Ah, I am sorry then. I dont have any cat videos to post as a peace offering though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This week on: Where in the world is Goro?

But seriously,
Those who matched ACGME Derm/Vascular Sx/ Integrated Plastic/ Ortho/ ENT/ and Thoracic Sx had serious ballz skipping the AOA match. Good for them.

Does this mean you can only apply AOA or ACGME, not both at the same time?

This week on: Where in the world is Goro?

But seriously,

Does this mean you can only apply AOA or ACGME, not both at the same time?

You can apply to both AOA and NRMPACGME. The AOA match is earlier than the NRMP and if you do match into AOA you (by contract) must forfeit the ACGME match. So the risk is "play it safe and stick with AOA without actually getting at a shot at ACGME" or "risk ACGME match and not matching at all and having to scramble by forfeiting the AOA match"

You can apply to both AOA and NRMPACGME. The AOA match is earlier than the NRMP and if you do match into AOA you (by contract) must forfeit the ACGME match. So the risk is "play it safe and stick with AOA without actually getting at a shot at ACGME" or "risk ACGME match and not matching at all and having to scramble by forfeiting the AOA match"

With the merger this wont be an issue will it?

I am hoping to matriculate in the entering class of 2016

For now. Since me and you are 2019, how will things look? Will most residencies be certified as ACGME? Or will most AOA residencies wait until 2020 deadline?

I have heard of some of good AOA programs have already initiated the transition. I won't be surprised if the most desirable programs have already transformed by the time I graduate, 2018.

Last edited:
For now. Since me and you are 2019, how will things look? Will most residencies be certified as ACGME? Or will most AOA residencies wait until 2020 deadline?

2020 is the deadline so yes, for the most part it seems like the DO applicants will become internal applicants of the NRMP instead of "independent". But there are a ton of variables that are still at play and undetermined including which DO programs will begin to accept apps from MD grads and increase competition for DO graduates.

With the merger this wont be an issue will it?

I am hoping to matriculate in the entering class of 2016

It should matter for you as by the time you graduate the majority of AOA programs will be ACGME accredited. Don't take my word for it though. As I said before there are still many things that are up in the air.

Plot twist: Goro is at a Caribbean school. Dat reverse psychology doh.

Reactions: 2 users
I have heard of some of good AOA programs have already initiated the transition. I won't be surprised if the most desirable programs have already transformed by the time I graduate, 2018.

Even when the residencies are merged, does that mean AOA and ACGME release results on the same day?

Or you still have the risk losing AOA while waiting ACGME

Even when the residencies are merged, does that mean AOA and ACGME release results on the same day?

Or you still have the risk losing AOA while waiting ACGME

From my understanding, after 2020, when all qualifying AOA residencies have merged with ACGME, there will be no more AOA. All residencies will be under the umbrella of ACGME.

Meanwhile, I believe we will still have two matches.

Edit: Nvm Touro-NY, props for that ACGME derm match and rad onc as well, adding them to my app lol

that's not the school, that's the student.

It is unlikely that an ACGME Derm PD is going to know much of anything about a particular DO school. Frankly, DO in general is just not on the radar in competitive allo specialties. My vote is that these students were amazing.

Its so sad.

What amazes me is that students from low tier MD schools have a much better chance of matching competitive specialties than top tier DO schools even though matriculation into both has similar difficulties.

It's probably a bit of both.

It is unlikely that an ACGME Derm PD is going to know much of anything about a particular DO school. Frankly, DO in general is just not on the radar in competitive allo specialties. My vote is that these students were amazing.

Agree with Tired on this one. There was a KYCOM grad that matched rad-onc several years back (class MCAT average 24, barely any ward based rotations or research opportunities). Now let that sink in....

Not AOA residencies. You have a much better shot at those than we do.

Oh, Im not a DO student haha. I dont know which one I'll be at the end of this cycle if I am one at all.

But with the merger, it may hurt DO students further or it might help them slightly. Who knows.

KCU has also had 2 people match derm at Mayo in the past 3 years, so there's that.

I know a student from KCU matched plastics at University of Kansas in 2011
http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/2011MatchSpecialtyStateSite.pdf

But A) from what I have heard, all three of the programs in KC (KU, KCU, UMKC) have really good relationships, so this is unique among a lot of DO schools. From looking through the match lists over the past couple years it seems like there is very little, if not any, discrimination from the MD institutions nearby for KCU grads.

B) I am sure that graduate was a total stud and had incredible credentials to match that well.

C) As awesome as I think it is, its still sad that it has been like 4 years since another student has performed this feat. I mean, KCU has matched like 8 or 9 grads into their gen surg program over the past 3 or 4 years, which is still awesome. But, man would it be sweet to start seeing more DOs jumping into ACGME Ortho and ENT spots and stuff.

He actually came and spoke to one of the clubs at our school earlier in the year. His stats were good, but he honestly wasn't the super stud in terms of stats that everyone was expecting him to be. He said what got him the plastics spot was his connections there. He did several rotations there and every department loved him. Apparently people in departments he didn't rotate through had even heard of him being great to work with. He may have also done research there, but he flat out told us that his networking skills landed him the spot, not his stats.

haha i was thinking kcumb or kirksville

@Gandy741 @oOKawaiiOo He's right. I'm suspecting Goro is at one of the well known DO schools, but not KCOM...so must be the other one :rolleyes:

Since we're derailing anyway, I'll put $50 on KCUMB.

I really want to say KCUMB too.

Assuming Goro hasn't lied when describing what school he's at, I can definitively say he is NOT at KCU. The admissions requirements and pre-reqs are very different at his school than here.

I think it's safe to say all people who match derm are amazing. What I'm saying though is that if a school can consistently turn out these kinds of graduates it probably says something about the resources they offer their students.

I think it's safe to say all people who match derm are amazing. What I'm saying though is that if a school can consistently turn out these kinds of graduates it probably says something about the resources they offer their students.

If I get into a medical school, I plan on tryharding more than ever before to open up as many options as possible.

Looking back, I could have tried much much harder even though I ended up with a competitive MD gpa.

If I get into a medical school, I plan on tryharding more than ever before to open up as many options as possible.

Looking back, I could have tried much much harder even though I ended up with a competitive MD gpa.
I've definitely gotten in touch with my inner tryhard this past year. I've found I can be successful, but all those years of not giving a **** made me too chill to ever be as neurotic as my peers. All in all, it's a good spot to be in.

Its so sad.

What amazes me is that students from low tier MD schools have a much better chance of matching competitive specialties than top tier DO schools even though matriculation into both has similar difficulties.

Not arguing here. You're right about MD has higher chances of matching competitive residencies than DO students, but they are not impossible for DO. Even MD students need to have amazing stats, research, and make connections to obtain those, those students are amazing regardless in term of that they would probably still matched even if they were DO.

Not arguing here. You're right about MD has higher chances of matching competitive residencies than DO students, but they are not impossible for DO. Even MD students need to have amazing stats, research, and make connections to obtain those, those students are amazing regardless in term of that they would probably still matched even if they were DO.

Yea probably true. I'm hoping to get into at least 1 top tier DO school this cycle. Might be tough though, who knows. Maybe i'll get lucky and get into my state MD school.

I've definitely gotten in touch with my inner tryhard this past year. I've found I can be successful, but all those years of not giving a **** made me too chill to ever be as neurotic as my peers. All in all, it's a good spot to be in.

Oh well hindsight is always 20/20. I just need 1 good school to give me a chance. Thats all.

Oh well hindsight is always 20/20. I just need 1 good school to give me a chance. Thats all.
I'm sure you'll be fine with your stats as long as you have your ECs covered.

I'm sure you'll be fine with your stats as long as you have your ECs covered.

My mcat is the weakest point of my app I would say. It is a 29 on a retake.... Sighhh. I was scoring higher on practice tests (28 to 32)

My mcat is the weakest point of my app I would say. It is a 29 on a retake.... Sighhh. I was scoring higher on practice tests (28 to 32)
Yeah the practice tests are generally easier. I've been told to expect 4 or 5 points below what you score on practice tests. Speaking of which, I really gotta make time to take one one of these days.... but I'm too busy getting my butt kicked by Ochem this summer...

29 is competitive in the DO world, even if it's a retake (mine was 28, and it was a retake. Had 8 ii's out of the 13 apps i sent).

If that is truly your weakest point, then you may have a shot at some of "low-tier" MD schools. Heck, I'd say retake the damn test and apply to MD schools if Derm is something I'm passionate about. Depending on your state MD schools, you may save a lot of money on tuition.

29 is competitive in the DO world, even if it's a retake (mine was 28, and it was a retake. Had 8 ii's out of the 13 apps i sent).

If that is truly your weakest point, then you may have a shot at some of "low-tier" MD schools. Heck, I'd say retake the damn test and apply to MD schools if Derm is something I'm passionate about. Depending on your state MD schools, you may save a lot of money on tuition.

It's def my apps weakest point. The first thing an advisor or well informed friend points out to me is my 29 mcat. No comments are made about anything else as there isn't any noticeable issues with it. As for derm, I am not too horribly interested in it. However I am a very hands on person and if I do want to decide to change my interests from internal medicine or cardiology, it will be a switch to surgery. I am very interested in various surgery specialties as well, it would be tragic if I couldn't get into one just because I was a DO. That being said I have no real interest in derm or plastics. internal medicine, cardiology, CT surgery, general surgery, neurosurgery, however are all on my radar.

Indeed I have been told I may have a shot at low tier md schools so I'm applying to Both!

I just don't know if I want to go through the MCAT struggle again to consider a retake. Plus I have been building my app for 3 years after college and I'm going all in and applied early this cycle.

1st time applicant as well so I'm hoping for just a little bit of luck here:)

Edit: I used to not want to think about doing family practice but after shadowing a do fm practitioner I would probably enjoy that as well

Last edited:
It's def my apps weakest point. The first thing an advisor or well informed friend points out to me is my 29 mcat. No comments are made about anything else as there isn't any noticeable issues with it. As for derm, I am not too horribly interested in it. However I am a very hands on person and if I do want to decide to change my interests from internal medicine or cardiology, it will be a switch to surgery. I am very interested in various surgery specialties as well, it would be tragic if I couldn't get into one just because I was a DO. That being said I have no real interest in derm or plastics. internal medicine, cardiology, CT surgery, general surgery, neurosurgery, however are all on my radar.

Indeed I have been told I may have a shot at low tier md schools so I'm applying to Both!

If you have the stats for the MD and you are not very interested in learning OMM, you should go to an MD school. You never know what specialty you will want to pursue, and being an MD student opens a lot more opportunities for you. Besides, you won't have to cut time off from studying for your science courses in order to study for OMM and you will only need to take one type of board exams.

There's nothing wrong with the DO route, and I absolutely have no shred of regret for choosing this path. However, if I had the option, without having to do a SMP, I would have gone to an MD school.

If you have the stats for the MD and you are not very interested in learning OMM, you should go to an MD school. You never know what specialty you will want to pursue, and being an MD student opens a lot more opportunities for you. Besides, you won't have to cut time off from studying for your science courses in order to study for OMM and you will only need to take one type of board exams.

There's nothing wrong with the DO route, and I absolutely have no shred of regret for choosing this path. However, if I had the option, without having to do a SMP, I would have gone to an MD school.

Yea, true. At this point though I just want to be a physician. Of course as I mentioned before there are some areas of medicine that I'm interested in more than others, but at this point in my life taking another year off to get the extra 2 points on my mcat score to get the cookie cutter MD stats just doesn't seem like a good decision. Plus as a Non trad I have to work full time so studying for mcat and doing that may not bode well. I've already submitted anyways and pre written a good amount of secondaries haha. I have some top DO school picks as well for which I would be very happbto attend as well. I don't know if my view makes sense but that's my approach right now

Yea, true. At this point though I just want to be a physician. Of course as I mentioned before there are some areas of medicine that I'm interested in more than others, but at this point in my life taking another year off to get the extra 2 points on my mcat score to get the cookie cutter MD stats just doesn't seem like a good decision. Plus as a Non trad I have to work full time so studying for mcat and doing that may not bode well. I've already submitted anyways and pre written a good amount of secondaries haha. I have some top DO school picks as well for which I would be very happbto attend as well. I don't know if my view makes sense but that's my approach right now

Nothing wrong with your approach and I wish you the best of luck.

That said, don't settle for any DO school. Try your best to get accepted to the better ones. All state affiliated ones (TCOM, MSU, Ohio, etc...) plus KCUMB (I'm in love with their curriculum) come to mind.

That said, don't settle for any DO school. Try your best to get accepted to the better ones. All state affiliated ones (TCOM, MSU, Ohio, etc...) plus KCUMB (I'm in love with their curriculum) come to mind.
... and WesternU, right? ;)

The difference between schools isn't that big. They will all get you where you need to go.

The difference between schools isn't that big. They will all get you where you need to go.

The difference between the average USMLE between two schools is 10+ points and that is between one of the schools I mentioned above and another "well established" DO school. To me that's big enough to consider.

I'm sure that at the end it's up to you regarding how you do on the boards. However, the way the curriculum is sat up and the clinical affiliations have a great impact on your performance on boards and your clinical education, respectively.

The difference between the average USMLE between two schools is 10+ points and that is between one of the schools I mentioned above and another "well established" DO school. To me that's big enough to consider.

I'm sure that at the end it's up to you regarding how you do on the boards. However, the way the curriculum is sat up and the clinical affiliations have a great impact on your performance on boards and your clinical education, respectively.
Do we know what percentage of their students take the USMLE?