Do any LOW-tier medical schools give out full-tuition scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that schools like Umich, pritzker, mayo, washU, and vanderbuilt are known for their generous scholarship offers, but they are all top schools. And cleveland program has full tuition. I also know that OHSU gave out a full tuition scholarship to some guy that graduated from my university (they posted it on the university news). But I am wondering, are there any low-tier schools that offer full scholarships? And by low tier, I mean schools that are not top 40. MD/PhD doesn't count

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools aren't tiered.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of schools don't give substantial aid of any kind, including these so called "high tiers" that are arbitrarily defined. Some will give nice fin. Aid packages to OOS applicants to try to recruit them to attend over their state schools. Some schools give no money and it has somewhat to do with their state's politics and funding.

You can get better answers from ppl who attend the schools you're interested in or ask the admissions ppl of each school directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no such thing as a "low-tier" medical school. Some schools give full tuition scholarships, but I wouldn't count on getting one. Such an unrealistic expectation will most likely lead to disappointment, especially if you're an average applicant. Go into the application process expecting to go into debt. If you're not alright with that, I would question what your end goal is: practicing medicine or making money. There's nothing necessarily wrong with the latter goal, but there are other fields that you can earn good money from, outside of medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
I think almost all schools offer at least one - its just most people wouldn't know about them because they go to so few people.

I think the new MD school in FL gave full tution to the first two years.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the new MD school in FL gave full tution to the first two years.

You're thinking about UCF and that is no longer the case. They may offer some scholarships still, but it is highly variable.

Also low tier schools still have averages around 3.6/32 so you'd need superstar numbers for that to happen. But anecdotally I have a friend in a state school in FL that is currently on a full ride (will not name).

New MD programs at least in the state of florida give scholarships, usually not full rides unless you are really really stellar. The only year they did that for the Class was UCF and that is no longer the case. I knew a girl who had a 35 MCAT 3.9+ GPA from UF with an Engineering degree and she had a full ride at a different FL state school.

The US military gives out scholarships to medical school to lots of people, regardless of "tier." So do state-funded primary care programs and the NHSC.

Much higher probability of getting funded that way than being arbitrarily chosen out of a pool of exceptionally well-qualified accepted students.

Reactions: 1 user