Do any of you use AccessPharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SarahLorraine

P3
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our assistant dean is looking for feedback to determine if our school should use it. But I guess I ignored the free trial offer and so I don't have much to tell him.

If you use it, how do you like it? Do you recommend it?

And YES, I am procrastinating on studying for finals. Duh. 😉
 
Our assistant dean is looking for feedback to determine if our school should use it. But I guess I ignored the free trial offer and so I don't have much to tell him.

If you use it, how do you like it? Do you recommend it?

And YES, I am procrastinating on studying for finals. Duh. 😉

I like your avatar.

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add to this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We use it at Lipscomb. 2 biggest complaints are that it times out too quickly (have to log back in), and the chapters are chopped up, but that may also be the way the content is published. You can download the sections to an e-reader. If your e-reader is wifi enabled, you can directly access the content. Computer gives you more flexibility and navigating is easier.

Paying for the content is much cheaper than purchasing a book.
 
If used properly, AP can be awesome. For example, we have two of our textbooks on there. That's two books we don't have to buy and can access any time. When you're talking about DiPiro's, that book is out of date before it hits the shelves. The last thing I want to do is drop $200 on a book that I'm going to have to replace for next year's classes to stay current. It does have the brand new editions.

Our biggest issue is pretty much exclusively that we don't have enough portals, so sometimes you can't get on. But you can email the section out to yourself or someone else once you get on, and the link is good for a week. Or you can convert to PDF and save it. I like AccessPharmacy and would recommend it, IF your professors will use the textbooks on it. If not, I don't know what you would do with it.
 
Our biggest issue is pretty much exclusively that we don't have enough portals, so sometimes you can't get on. But you can email the section out to yourself or someone else once you get on, and the link is good for a week. Or you can convert to PDF and save it. I like AccessPharmacy and would recommend it, IF your professors will use the textbooks on it. If not, I don't know what you would do with it.

I didn't know you could save the documents as PDF's. I specifically stopped using Access Pharmacy because my school has something like a max of 7 people allowed to be logged in at the same time.
 
I didn't know you could save the documents as PDF's. I specifically stopped using Access Pharmacy because my school has something like a max of 7 people allowed to be logged in at the same time.

Yeah, you can print to PDF.
 
I highly recommend AccessPharmacy. I am always on it reading DiPiro's book. I bought the 7th edition but like someone mentioned the books go out of date so fast that I don't see a point in buying another $200 book. AccessPharmacy allows you to read many textbooks for free which saves you tons of money.
 
I really liked the option of printing book chapters to PDF with Access Pharmacy and used it all the time when I was a student. The interface for DiPiro was much friendlier on Access Pharmacy than Ebrary. I had friends who liked the monographs, but I've never seen it/used it, so I can't vouch.
 
Like others have said, AccessPharmacy is worth it just for DiPiro's alone! I have also used Harrison's. Almost every therapeutics course uses one or both of these books. I never read them anymore because I don't have time and don't need to, but my classmates who do find them really useful (especially with the occasional professor who makes absolutely no sense!), easy to use, and never had any problems.
 
Like others have said, AccessPharmacy is worth it just for DiPiro's alone! I have also used Harrison's. Almost every therapeutics course uses one or both of these books. I never read them anymore because I don't have time and don't need to, but my classmates who do find them really useful (especially with the occasional professor who makes absolutely no sense!), easy to use, and never had any problems.

Agreed. Dipiro is way easier to understand than a lot of professors, especially after you read several chapters (and get used to the format and what is more important vs not important), the format that they use is really straightforward and never leaves you wondering about any key information, unlike some in-class presentations
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad