Do any of you worry about discrimination based on your name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Veidt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean when applying to med schools - they love diversity. However, when you are a full-fledged doctor with your own practice, in which you need patients to come see you based solely on preference, whatever tiny shred of discrimination seems like it would be a factor.

It's 2012, and we are largely over 9/11 and distrust of al-qaeda and muslims. But say it's 2024, and you started your first practice and it's going well. Until another terrorist attack happens, and no one wants to see Dr. Ahmed.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I know that you mean bro.

Last edited:
I hope that's not a factor, though if it is, I'd probably benefit since my last name is actually a word. In fact, it's an adjective that many people would apply to doctors (at least the good ones!)

Members don't see this ad :)
My name has Arabic/Persian roots but I've amercanized it since the first grade. My name is unique in that the Arabic/Persian version is female but apparently the American version is a southern name and meant for males.
Even my PI thought I was a guy before she met me x. X its frustrating but I'm used to it by now.

There's nothing much you can do about people's prejudices and the most you can do is be the very best doctor you can be and hope that that's good enough for your patients.

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

My name has Arabic/Persian roots but I've amercanized it since the first grade. My name is unique in that the Arabic/Persian version is female but apparently the American version is a southern name and meant for males.
Even my PI thought I was a guy before she met me x. X its frustrating but I'm used to it by now.

There's nothing much you can do about people's prejudices and the most you can do is be the very best doctor you can be and hope that that's good enough for your patients.

I have an Arabic/Muslim name. I don't have any attachment to it, nor to the religion (I am an atheist). I think I'm just going to change it. Why the **** not, right?

people might discriminate at first, but after awhile people will start recommending you hopefully

When I was little, right after 9/11 I had to get a physical, there was a student doctor there named Dr.Osama, he ended up being awesome!

+1

I'm curious to figure out your name now, hahaha.

But yeah OP, only you can define yourself. I think as long as others can see what a great physician you can prevail to become, it becomes obvious to people that they will characterize you by your personality (bedside manner, perhaps) and authority rather than a name alone.

this is the first time in my life i feel like having an advantage for being asian.

I share the same last name as the dictator Saddam...should I just change my name now?

I share the same last name as the dictator Saddam...should I just change my name now?

Remember the full name of the current President of the United States.

Seriously, it's your name. Think about changing it when you get married, but I don't see any reason to do so before then.

Seriously, it's your name. Think about changing it when you get married, but I don't see any reason to do so before then.

Yea...but everyone addresses him as Barack Obama.
The only entity that goes out of its way to address him including his middle name, and for nefarious purposes as always, is FOX News.

this is a very serious question. I wonder if muslim doctors are/can be punished for mistakes just for being muslim. That is, for mistakes that white doctors would not be or are disproportionately punished less often for.

I'd say change it whenever you want. Either way it's going to be a hassle and while patients might not know... employers, schools, the govt, and blah blah are all going to want to know your former names anyway....

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a very serious question. I wonder if muslim doctors are/can be punished for mistakes just for being muslim. That is, for mistakes that white doctors would not be or are disproportionately punished less often for.

I've also pondered this question and I'm an atheist but was indoctrinated as a muslim.
Being a muslim certainly will not help but will being an atheist help? Being an atheist might hurt me more than being a muslim :laugh: I think it is best to leave religion OUT of your profession.

The only time I have ever seen religion brought up in a hospital was when the hospital staff asks a patient if they prefer a doctor of a certain religion. I imagine if a patient is familiar with Ramadan and knows a doctor may be fasting, they may chose NOT to have a procedure done by a muslim doctor. Some patients may not want to be seen by a doctor who is of a different religion than their own.

Are hospitals legally allowed to ask a doctor what their religion is in the hiring process?

I don't mean when applying to med schools - they love diversity. However, when you are a full-fledged doctor with your own practice, in which you need patients to come see you based solely on preference, whatever tiny shred of discrimination seems like it would be a factor.

It's 2012, and we are largely over 9/11 and distrust of al-qaeda and muslims. But say it's 2024, and you started your first practice and it's going well. Until another terrorist attack happens, and no one wants to see Dr. Ahmed.
well considering you engineered a humongous massacre and the exile of a bonafide superhero, i would think yes, your name would engender distrust in your patients

I'd say change it whenever you want. Either way it's going to be a hassle and while patients might not know... employers, schools, the govt, and blah blah are all going to want to know your former names anyway....

In that case, I'd rather just stick with it. I've done 19 years with. If I have any children, I'll give them a different last name.

Well it just goes to show you how stupid the American public is.
If you are "brown" and can speak your home country's native tongue (I can), I suggest you may want to consider moving to your parent's country and practice medicine there all whilst making MUCH MORE than you would in the US.

Well it just goes to show you how stupid the American public is.
If you are "brown" and can speak your home country's native tongue (I can), I suggest you may want to consider moving to your parent's country and practice medicine there all whilst making MUCH MORE than you would in the US.
4139_original_87582072.gif

Oh gosh. This makes me mad. Why on *earth* would anyone want to change their name just to get into medical school? If you don't like it or prefer a different name, then by all means change it.

Are you are afraid you will be discriminated against in the med school application process? I can assure you, if you will be rejected from a med school, your name is most likely not going to be a reason. If it is, do you seriously want to go to a med school (or work or anywhere else) where people don't respect your identity? Guess what? People will judge you left and right all your life. You can't run away from it. Might as well stick to your identity and be true to yourself.

I've also pondered this question and I'm an atheist but was indoctrinated as a muslim.
Being a muslim certainly will not help but will being an atheist help? Being an atheist might hurt me more than being a muslim :laugh: I think it is best to leave religion OUT of your profession.

The only time I have ever seen religion brought up in a hospital was when the hospital staff asks a patient if they prefer a doctor of a certain religion. I imagine if a patient is familiar with Ramadan and knows a doctor may be fasting, they may chose NOT to have a procedure done by a muslim doctor. Some patients may not want to be seen by a doctor who is of a different religion than their own.

Are hospitals legally allowed to ask a doctor what their religion is in the hiring process?

No they can't ask what your religion is.

But physicians need a DEA number to practice medicine, and take a problem like prescribing pain killers to drug addicts. I wonder if the government just picks and chooses those doctors who they do not like and punishes selectively.

The sad but true fact is that if you are aligned with Islam, Americans will see you in a negative light. I would think the effects are minimized in academia where people are generally more socially understanding but in the raw public eye, Islam = terrorism = avoid. We never hear of people being afraid of/against Catholics despite the fact much of the IRA are Catholic terrorists (yes, yes I know Catholics make the news for other things but that's not to the point here). Having a name that sounds like something from the Middle East will likely have no positive results/some negative results unless you practice in a place with people of that same upbringing. Fact of life post 9/11

The sad but true fact is that if you are aligned with Islam, Americans will see you in a negative light. I would think the effects are minimized in academia where people are generally more socially understanding but in the raw public eye, Islam = terrorism = avoid. We never hear of people being afraid of/against Catholics despite the fact much of the IRA are Catholic terrorists (yes, yes I know Catholics make the news for other things but that's not to the point here). Having a name that sounds like something from the Middle East will likely have no positive results/some negative results unless you practice in a place with people of that same upbringing. Fact of life post 9/11

Name change -> Alexander Graham.

My name is Tony and I speak with a slight Cuban accent. Do you think patients might discriminate against me? I have anger issues whenever I see my sister dating men, but it doesn't really show when I deal with other people. I can handle a gun pretty well and I sell some "stuff" on the side, but is that grounds for hatred? Also, when I go into interviews, can I wear one of my pastel suits?

My name is Tony and I speak with a slight Cuban accent. Do you think patients might discriminate against me? I have anger issues whenever I see my sister dating men, but it doesn't really show when I deal with other people. I can handle a gun pretty well and I sell some "stuff" on the side, but is that grounds for hatred? Also, when I go into interviews, can I wear one of my pastel suits?

as long as your wear a ping hat, it's all fine.

I was thinking about wearing this. Do you think the adcoms will be OK with my style?

ngbbs4d681cad88a6f.jpg

As long as they say hello to your little friend, everything will be fine.
But they may ask you how you got that scar. I worry for them.

Not tan enough...definitely not the right interview aesthetic!

People usually choose a physician because someone referred them to that physician. If you establish a good reputation with patients and other physicians, it really shouldn't be an issue.

If your name is absurdly long like Djubbhattawharajuidoachowacheen, which isn't too far off some of the names I've seen, then maybe you might want to split it up a little...

Nope.

Guys, think about it like this. If Dr. Oz's name was "Ahmed Osama", You would call him Dr. Osama. Do you think he would have the same respect he gets now?

Doctor Oz is by the way muslim-not many people know that. When they do know that, they lose respect for him.

You cant change these things.

Guys, think about it like this. If Dr. Oz's name was "Ahmed Osama", You would call him Dr. Osama. Do you think he would have the same respect he gets now?

Doctor Oz is by the way muslim-not many people know that. When they do know that, they lose respect for him.

You cant change these things.

oh please, Dr. Oz is NOT Muslim? Are you kidding me?!

No they can't ask what your religion is.

But physicians need a DEA number to practice medicine, and take a problem like prescribing pain killers to drug addicts. I wonder if the government just picks and chooses those doctors who they do not like and punishes selectively.

Seriously, not sure if serious. I don't think I have ever seen a story on SDN about someone successfully completing a residency and being denied a DEA number or a full license.

Seriously, not sure if serious. I don't think I have ever seen a story on SDN about someone successfully completing a residency and being denied a DEA number or a full license.

I never suggested that, but lots of doctor's lose their DEA numbers every year, I just wonder if they just pick and choose the one's they don't like and punish selectively.

People think I am mexican and can't speak english just because my name is the most common mexican name.. It is very annoying.

Do any of you worry about discrimination based on your name?
Nah, it's a pretty common Hispanic name.

Hey get your facts straight. A lot of muslims are white.

Edit: Sorry, I'm just not a fan of racial/ethnic speculation. It just promotes stereotypes and that sort of garbage.

I have a long name. As a result, people cannot pronounce it and immediately get interested.

OP, keep in mind that there are huge communities of arabics/Persians/whatevers living in this country that would be more than happy to have a doctor with a familiar name.

There will always be people with prejudices, just like there will always be people who don't want a black doctor or female doctor or white doctor or Jewish doctor. Luckily, I think the majority of this country has gotten past that and I doubt you will have trouble finding work just because of your name. Maybe avoid the bible belt....

I know a doctor whose last name was "Kim" (typical Korean) and had trouble getting patients. Then he changed his name to "Kimble" and now he has plenty. I know this isn't exactly the same as having an Arabic name, but I'm not surprised that it happens.

Similarly, I have a friend whose last name was actually of Asian origin, but perhaps a bit on the ambiguous side, and actually ended up getting into all her reach schools (we're talkin' ivies here) and was later invited to a URM orientation event because evidently the colleges thought that she was black or something (this was back when we were applying to college). :laugh: